By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will never be "third party friendly"

outlawauron said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
outlawauron said:
ghost_of_fazz said:

You know why Nintendo consoles will never be Third Party-friendly?

Because Nintendo games are great. A bit too great, actually. Third parties don't want to have that kind of competition, because their games are not on that level of quality and polish.

Also, Nintendo games are a permanent competition because of their legs. They´re not like a Call of Duty or an Assassin's Creed, that sells a shitload when it's released and then it stops selling. They sell for years.

This is especially hilarious because COD and AC both have better legs than most Nintendo games.

Let's see some games that have some years on the market...

AC1 sold about 180,000 copies on it's 7th year. AC2 sold about 259,000 on it's 5th year. CoD4MW sold about 214,000 on it's 7th year. CoDMW2 sold about 322,824 on it's 5th year. All of them on two platforms with an install base of over 160,000,000 or so.

Pretty nice, huh?

Now let's check some Nintendo games with a similar amount of time on the market. First goes Super Smash Bros Brawl... 581,561 sold on it's 5th year and 368,495 sold on it's 6th year. Well, who would've thought that?

It's New Super Mario Bros' turn... 2,175,158 sold on it's 5th year and 564,615 sold on it's 7th year. Also, 228,323 sold on it's 8th year. Gulp.

Now Super Mario Galaxy... 782,439 sold on it's 5th year and 141,487 sold on it's 7th year. Pretty bad, eh.

Let's throw New Super Mario Bros Wii in there... 498,753 sold on it's 5th year. Not too shabby.

What about Mario Kart DS? 3,682,176 on it's 5th birthday and 759,556 on it's 7th. And 220,980 on it's 9th.

Heck, let's check Zelda Twilight Princess, considering Zelda games are not as 'heavy hitters' as those other games... 504,067 on it's 5th year and 212,800 on it's 7th. Hmmm...

Let's check CoDMW3... About 580,000 sold on both platforms on it's 3rd birthday, for a whoping total of 28,000,000 units sold. Surely there's not Nintendo game that can top that!... Unless it's the favourite of the Hardcore Gamer Master Race, Wii Fit Plus, with 1,014,106 sold on it's 3rd birthday.

Now Mario Kart Wii... 1,173,122 sold on it's 5th year. Well yep, I guess I was wrong. And on a more serious note, the only series that I think can compete with Nintendo games in the legs department is Grand Theft Auto.

It's not about you being wrong and I don't see how you've contradicted any of what I said. You're comparing them to best selling Nintendo games (i.e. the elite, not the majority) and they still hold up pretty damn well. It was one of the worst possible examples you could give of no legs.

And that's because I compared them to CoD and AC, some of the two best selling third party series around. Like I said, only one that holds a candle to Nintendo games regarding legs is GTA.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
IamAwsome said:

Miyamoto saying that they started work on their next console means nothing. Sony and MS have also started by now. 

They absolutely DO consult third parties on the designs of their consoles. They didn't get the power right, but it doesn't mean that they don't listen. Source What they don't do is pay for marketing, and bribe for content like Sony/MS, though they did that in the past. 

What is your definition of "third party friendly", because when they unveiled the Wii U, there was a LOT of praise, a LOT of it; even from developers that haven't worked with Nintendo a lot in the past like Crytek, Epic Games, and Irrational. What happened between E3 2011 and Nov. 2012? Is it Iwata's fault that most of them bailed before the console even launched? They sure as heck sounded like they were satisfied at E3.   If third parties hated the Wii U, then why did they all smile and put on a facade for fanboys? In '06 before the Wii launched, several developers called it a "GCN 1.5". That didn't happen with the Wii U. I don't know if it's poor communication or what, but if they don't like something, then they should be upfront about it. It's not like Nintendo can't improve as well (online, eShop restrictions, specs), but I don't see the logic in completely placing them at fault here. 

As for the future, the Wii U will be a bitter pill to swallow. Believe me, they definitely WANT third party support, but whether or not they actually get it remains to be seen. 

the bold part summarizes why nintendo doesn't get third party support: third parties demand money to make games, instead of the obvious natural order of making games to make money.

I really hope you're not suggesting Nintendo goes into a full scale content war with Sony/MS. They really don't have the money for that. 

TBH I dont even want them to be third party friendly (to EA Activision and Ubisoft) or to any other western big player because those have shitty business practices and destroy our hobby.

They are third party friendly on 3DS (japanese games and those are the only ones that count to me anyway)

So third party =/= western BIG publishers.

Totally okay with this.

nintendo survives thanks to the world of portable systems. without gameboy or 3ds nintendo will be know like sega.
i think nintendo not has more cards in their hands. i´m talking about home console systems, they dont´have casual gamers and not have hardcore gamers.
they said that they want recover hardcore gamers but if you want this players you need release a console like sony and microsoft to get the same games from third party.

i born with nintendo and sega, i bough nes, mega drive, snes, etc...
but i can´t play only the games from nintendo. another mario kart, another mario, another mario party, another donkey kong, another , another.....
they are good games but i need third party games. if nintendo not has that.. sorry, your systeme to me is not complete. i will not spend my money in your system.

i have not idea what plans they have for new consola after WII U but if they go again for their own road... maybe will be last console home system and becomes like a third party.

cheryl said:
nintendo survives thanks to the world of portable systems. without gameboy or 3ds nintendo will be know like sega.
i think nintendo not has more cards in their hands. i´m talking about home console systems, they dont´have casual gamers and not have hardcore gamers.
they said that they want recover hardcore gamers but if you want this players you need release a console like sony and microsoft to get the same games from third party.

but i can´t play only the games from nintendo. another mario kart, another mario, another mario party, another donkey kong, another , another.....
they are good games but i need third party games. if nintendo not has that.. sorry, your systeme to me is not complete. i will not spend my money in your system.

i have not idea what plans they have for new consola after WII U but if they go again for their own road... maybe will be last console home system and becomes like a third party.

Well the other two have third party games, but no Nintendo games at all...

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
cheryl said:

but sony has third party games and their own games...

cheryl said:
KLXVER said:
cheryl said:

but sony has third party games and their own games...

Well if Nintendo had great third party support, would you buy a WiiU and the third party games on that instead of the PS4?

ghost_of_fazz said:
outlawauron said:

It's not about you being wrong and I don't see how you've contradicted any of what I said. You're comparing them to best selling Nintendo games (i.e. the elite, not the majority) and they still hold up pretty damn well. It was one of the worst possible examples you could give of no legs.

And that's because I compared them to CoD and AC, some of the two best selling third party series around. Like I said, only one that holds a candle to Nintendo games regarding legs is GTA.

Minecraft is best legs though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

IamAwsome said:
Materia-Blade said:

the bold part summarizes why nintendo doesn't get third party support: third parties demand money to make games, instead of the obvious natural order of making games to make money.

I really hope you're not suggesting Nintendo goes into a full scale content war with Sony/MS. They really don't have the money for that. 

What? that's terrible business (wich is why sony and MS tend to be in the red). I'm saying that's the reason they don't get third party support, because they do what is right and don't bribe.

Nintendo could become third party friendly. All they have to do is become extremely greedy and not care about shady business choices...