By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo will never be "third party friendly"

outlawauron said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
outlawauron said:

It's not about you being wrong and I don't see how you've contradicted any of what I said. You're comparing them to best selling Nintendo games (i.e. the elite, not the majority) and they still hold up pretty damn well. It was one of the worst possible examples you could give of no legs.

And that's because I compared them to CoD and AC, some of the two best selling third party series around. Like I said, only one that holds a candle to Nintendo games regarding legs is GTA.

Minecraft is best legs though.

Ah, yes yes indeed, was forgetting Minecraft. Better legs than any game on any platform. Damn monster.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
IamAwsome said:
Materia-Blade said:

the bold part summarizes why nintendo doesn't get third party support: third parties demand money to make games, instead of the obvious natural order of making games to make money.

I really hope you're not suggesting Nintendo goes into a full scale content war with Sony/MS. They really don't have the money for that. 

What? that's terrible business (wich is why sony and MS tend to be in the red). I'm saying that's the reason they don't get third party support, because they do what is right and don't bribe.

Oh, I totally misunderstood that. I agree with you. 

Curiously, third party games have been doing very very well on the 3DS... Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Lego games, Level-5 games, Capcom games, Atlus games etc. And there was a lot of good third-party games for the Wii, notably Just Dance, Monster Hunter 3, No More Heroes, PES, Fifa, Guitar Hero etc etc etc

I don´t think that Nintendo is not "third-party friendly". After seeing so many companies showing support for the WiiU in its launch, and seeing some great games made by small developers for the WiiU, it´s clear that programming/porting games for the WiiU is not the real problem.
The problem are low sales. They don´t want to develop or port games for Nintendo´s home console because its games doesnt´sell well on it - there´s very few exceptions (Rayman Legends, Sonic All-Stars Racing, Taiko, ZombiU). They don´t consider potential sales rewarding.

In the end, it´s all about how much money they expect to get. If the expectations are very low, then better not even start work.

Rogerioandrade said:
Curiously, third party games have been doing very very well on the 3DS... Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Lego games, Level-5 games, Capcom games, Atlus games etc. And there was a lot of good third-party games for the Wii, notably Just Dance, Monster Hunter 3, No More Heroes, PES, Fifa, Guitar Hero etc etc etc

I don´t think that Nintendo is not "third-party friendly". After seeing so many companies showing support for the WiiU in its launch, and seeing some great games made by small developers for the WiiU, it´s clear that programming/porting games for the WiiU is not the real problem.
The problem are low sales. They don´t want to develop or port games for Nintendo´s home console because its games doesnt´sell well on it - there´s very few exceptions (Rayman Legends, Sonic All-Stars Racing, Taiko, ZombiU). They don´t consider potential sales rewarding.

In the end, it´s all about how much money they expect to get. If the expectations are very low, then better not even start work.

Wich "many" companies showed support for wii u at launch? this "3rd part don't sell on nintendo" is just a myth.

Materia-Blade said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Wich "many" companies showed support for wii u at launch? this "3rd part don't sell on nintendo" is just a myth.

Ubisoft and..................Ubisoft was there..

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
cheryl said:
KLXVER said:
cheryl said:
nintendo survives thanks to the world of portable systems. without gameboy or 3ds nintendo will be know like sega.
i think nintendo not has more cards in their hands. i´m talking about home console systems, they dont´have casual gamers and not have hardcore gamers.
they said that they want recover hardcore gamers but if you want this players you need release a console like sony and microsoft to get the same games from third party.

i born with nintendo and sega, i bough nes, mega drive, snes, etc...
but i can´t play only the games from nintendo. another mario kart, another mario, another mario party, another donkey kong, another , another.....
they are good games but i need third party games. if nintendo not has that.. sorry, your systeme to me is not complete. i will not spend my money in your system.

i have not idea what plans they have for new consola after WII U but if they go again for their own road... maybe will be last console home system and becomes like a third party.

Well the other two have third party games, but no Nintendo games at all...

but sony has third party games and their own games...

Well if Nintendo had great third party support, would you buy a WiiU and the third party games on that instead of the PS4?

i´ll buy both.

cheryl said:

i´ll buy both.

So you would buy lets say the next Assassins Creed on both systems...?

Materia-Blade said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Ubisoft (Just DAnce, Assassin´s Creed, Rabbits), Eletronic Arts (With Fifa, Madden), Activision (with Cod, Skylanders, Wipeout), Namco (with Tekken), Sega (Sonic All Stars Racing), Square (Dragon Quest), Warner (Batman, Scribblenauts) Tecmo(Warriors Orochi)......

of course all of them adopted a "wait and see" approach with those games, but they all showed interest. With the low sales, they just abandoned the platform

As for sales..... we all know that 3rd party games sell better on other platforms, but that doesn´t mean they actually sell bad on WiiU - they just don´t sell what companies want. Rayman Legends and Sonic All-Stars Racing sold BETTER on WiiU than on any other platform, for example, but far from what Ubisoft or Sega wanted.  ZombiU and Dragon Quest sold quite well.

outlawauron said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
outlawauron said:
ghost_of_fazz said:

You know why Nintendo consoles will never be Third Party-friendly?

Because Nintendo games are great. A bit too great, actually. Third parties don't want to have that kind of competition, because their games are not on that level of quality and polish.

Also, Nintendo games are a permanent competition because of their legs. They´re not like a Call of Duty or an Assassin's Creed, that sells a shitload when it's released and then it stops selling. They sell for years.

This is especially hilarious because COD and AC both have better legs than most Nintendo games.

Let's see some games that have some years on the market...

AC1 sold about 180,000 copies on it's 7th year. AC2 sold about 259,000 on it's 5th year. CoD4MW sold about 214,000 on it's 7th year. CoDMW2 sold about 322,824 on it's 5th year. All of them on two platforms with an install base of over 160,000,000 or so.

Pretty nice, huh?

Now let's check some Nintendo games with a similar amount of time on the market. First goes Super Smash Bros Brawl... 581,561 sold on it's 5th year and 368,495 sold on it's 6th year. Well, who would've thought that?

It's New Super Mario Bros' turn... 2,175,158 sold on it's 5th year and 564,615 sold on it's 7th year. Also, 228,323 sold on it's 8th year. Gulp.

Now Super Mario Galaxy... 782,439 sold on it's 5th year and 141,487 sold on it's 7th year. Pretty bad, eh.

Let's throw New Super Mario Bros Wii in there... 498,753 sold on it's 5th year. Not too shabby.

What about Mario Kart DS? 3,682,176 on it's 5th birthday and 759,556 on it's 7th. And 220,980 on it's 9th.

Heck, let's check Zelda Twilight Princess, considering Zelda games are not as 'heavy hitters' as those other games... 504,067 on it's 5th year and 212,800 on it's 7th. Hmmm...

Let's check CoDMW3... About 580,000 sold on both platforms on it's 3rd birthday, for a whoping total of 28,000,000 units sold. Surely there's not Nintendo game that can top that!... Unless it's the favourite of the Hardcore Gamer Master Race, Wii Fit Plus, with 1,014,106 sold on it's 3rd birthday.

Now Mario Kart Wii... 1,173,122 sold on it's 5th year. Well yep, I guess I was wrong. And on a more serious note, the only series that I think can compete with Nintendo games in the legs department is Grand Theft Auto.

It's not about you being wrong and I don't see how you've contradicted any of what I said. You're comparing them to best selling Nintendo games (i.e. the elite, not the majority) and they still hold up pretty damn well. It was one of the worst possible examples you could give of no legs.

It was tit for tat considering call of duty has a much clout as mario kart....

The Nintendo faithful are not helping Nintendos situation by making excuses for their ignorance. Everyone knows Nintendo has the best first party, but their consoles have been missing third party for the past twenty years. They had been a pain in the ass of third party even when they were exclusively on their consoles in the 80's and the 90's. Nintendo can make their games well on any hardware because Nintendo tailor makes games for that hardware. The whole point is trying to make a console that is third party friendly for porting. The point is to open their minds not close it. Nintendo learned their lesson with the Wii U....but it was too late because the hardware power was sub par.

Third party are not asking for anything but portability from Nintendo.