By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U beaten by the Dreamcast - what now?

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo will still be alive and kicking. Despite an atrocious eighth gen showing, they've mostly eliminated Sony from the handheld space already.

Additionally, their financials are on the rise again, so it isn't even up for consideration to bow out of the home console space. And due to the unique characteristics of the video game business (new system means a reset of perception), the Wii U's failure doesn't dent Nintendo's image all that much.

Hey, don't let Nintendo take credit for what Apple and Samsung did!

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

Maybe Nintendo should dropout, then go into the marketing business and do an Anti-Nintendoom marketing campaign...Wait. No, that's a bad idea, it will definitely fail.

Fusioncode said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo will still be alive and kicking. Despite an atrocious eighth gen showing, they've mostly eliminated Sony from the handheld space already.

Additionally, their financials are on the rise again, so it isn't even up for consideration to bow out of the home console space. And due to the unique characteristics of the video game business (new system means a reset of perception), the Wii U's failure doesn't dent Nintendo's image all that much.

As much as i agree mobile has hurt HH overall and they definitely did more damage to vita than 3ds did, but that doesn't mean nintendo didn't hurt sony at all. (or just a little)

Looking at Japan, MH was a huge hit towards Sony. Its almost as bad if Vita had Aquired Pokemon :0

tbone51 said:
Fusioncode said:
RolStoppable said:

As much as i agree mobile has hurt HH overall and they definitely did more damage to vita than 3ds did, but that doesn't mean nintendo didn't hurt sony at all. (or just a little)

Looking at Japan, MH was a huge hit towards Sony. Its almost as bad if Vita had Aquired Pokemon :0

Yeah, smartphones may have dealt a heavy blow to the Vita, but let's not act like its most direct competitor (3DS) didn't also have a hand in its decline, especially after stealing Sony's biggest handheld exclusive.

garywood said:
RolStoppable said:

I think it was probably smartphones that did that! Otherwise, we would've expected them to eliminate the PSP rather than the Vita. Given that the DS was such a success.

Well they did steal Monster Hunter which was by far PSP' biggest game in Japan so they def did contribute to Vita' downfall.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:

Completely different consoles and completely different sales trends. It's laughable to make a thread like this when the wiiu will pass the lifetime totals of the dreamcast before the end of the year.

Majorly different consoles. Don't get me wrong I love the dreamcast. But they front loaded the console with all these great games and lost so much money that when Sony came out with the PS2 people just didn't trust Sega to have anyone follow through and people kind of decided to move on. WIth the Wiiu Nintendo started slower with software and are getting better each year which will lead to the console continuing its trend of year over year growth. The Wiiu will likely triple the dreamcast in lifetime sales and will be infintely more profitable. And will also have more exclusive great games.  A lot of the steller Dreamcast content either got ported over to ps2 or sequalized on the ps2 and other consoles.

Your avatar is so cute, do you have a dacshund?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

It's difficult to compare the Wii U to current consoles let alone ones from fifteen years ago. In the business world, Nintendo is making money. The people who buy their products are happy. There are so many subtle things in play right now which drive people to purchase a console that making black and white comparisons is ridiculous.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

ps4tw said:
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

No matter how you try to twist it, Anthony intepreted what I said correctly. Accept it, deal with that point and move on. Don't argue a point that was never raised. 

It was raised; I quoted you directly.

And that's kind of ironic coming from you, who quit the forum for months after being proved wrong about Mario Kart 8.

I don't give a damn what you think I meant, I'm telling you what I meant - move on and don't stick with a strawman argument. Mario Kart 8 boosted sales for a little longer than I expected. So? The Wii U is still selling miserably, and has been outsold by the PS4 almost 2:1 and even the XBox One looks like it'll over take its sales. 

I just post this again since you guys have ignored it a few pages back

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-07/nintendo-heads-for-best-holiday-in-years-as-profit-seen-tripling.html

Ryudo said:
Wii U makes profit. Nintendo is in fantastic shape financially. SEGA was losing money and nearly went out of business.

So what now? Nintendo sells Wii U as planned and keeps making profit. Even tho Wii U is selling less than XBO and PS4 it's in better shape. Sony posted it's 6th huge loss in 7 years. MS continues to dumb billions with little return. Funny thing is it's starting to look like PS and Xbox will become less of consoles and a brand of gaming services on devices. It's already starting with PSnow and Windows 10.

It would be strange, funny, and sad, if Nintendo were the last console-maker left. At this point, it looks like it might end up being the case. Nintendo is already a dinosaur of a company, and they might actually see a minor boost from those of us who prefer nostaligia and classic titles when M$ and Sony make the jump to streaming services.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

ps4tw said:

Looking at the sales figures, the Dreamcast, a console widely seen as a failure and the downfall of Sega, sold better than the Wii U to date. As Nintendo has the cash assest to survive a failed console, where will they go from here? It seems that they do not want to adapt to the demands of the modern gamer, and their core user base is smaller than ever. This being said, will this force Nintendo's hand out of the console business just as the Dreamcast did to Sega? How can Nintendo repair the publicity damage the Wii U has done to them in the eyes of gamers? 

This is ignoring the fact that the Dreamcast sold really well for it's first year or two, and then totally dropped off.

Wii U sold decently it's launch window, and then dropped off.....and then gradually picked back up in late 2013, and then dipped a bit, and then has gradually been on an upward trend for over half of 2014. That is directly tied to more and more big games finally coming out on it. Wii U will last longer on the market than Dreamcast did, and Nintendo won't jump ship and abandon it the way Sega did.

So the comparison is honestly somewhat moot. Wii U will have outsold DC lifetime by the time all is said and done, by a considerable margin I'd guess. This isn't the first thread started that muses "Will Nintendo go the way of Sega", and it won't be the last. People were talking about this back in the GC days. Nintendo isn't going anywhere, because aside from stumbling with Wii U, they are far more business smart (and have far more money in the bank) than Sega was. Sega failed for a lot of reasons, but the biggest of which was that they lost consumer/fan confidence by repeatedly failing to stick with/support their own consoles. Nintendo hasn't done that, and won't do that.