By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U beaten by the Dreamcast - what now?

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo will still be alive and kicking. Despite an atrocious eighth gen showing, they've mostly eliminated Sony from the handheld space already.

Additionally, their financials are on the rise again, so it isn't even up for consideration to bow out of the home console space. And due to the unique characteristics of the video game business (new system means a reset of perception), the Wii U's failure doesn't dent Nintendo's image all that much.

you say that nintendo had an atrocious 8th gen showing.. but i would like you to elaborate on that so i know what youre saying. are you saying that their marketing was atrocious? because it was, and thats what has gotten them into this position. do you think their strategy for their software is atrocious? because.. i would have to disagree with you on that. i think its pretty much a given that wii u has the most variety and best games available on any platform. plus its not a wannabe pc, which i think is a good thing for the console market. we dont want to blur those lines, because if we do, then people arent going to see a need for consoles. i think the wii u does more to help this market than to hurt it. and in that sense.. i really cant call its eighth gen showing "atrocious"

Around the Network

just explaining my point: sales arent the most important thing. Nintendo has got a good console with an innovative tablet-controller plus good games plus 3DS selling very well plus games for 3DS - and dont forget amiibo. As long as this pays - who cares? They will have estimated profites of 190 million $ - how can you compare that to the dreamcast? And if you compare it to Sonys financial issues then Wii U is the winner thats for sure.

ps4tw said:

The dreamcast has beaten the Wii U in terms of total life time sales launch to end of life. 

Don't know if you've heard, but Wii U is still selling.

Wanna bet it won't pass Dreamcast's 10.6 million lifetime?

So what you are saying is that there was this system that once sold more in it's lifetime than another system sold in part of it's lifetime.......

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo will still be alive and kicking. Despite an atrocious eighth gen showing, they've mostly eliminated Sony from the handheld space already.

Nintendo had almost nothing to do with it.  You can thank the thriving mobile market for the Vita selling 1/4th the PSP sales, and the 3DS selling less than half the DS.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
BraLoD said:
To be fair the Dreamcast was a good seller until the PS2 appeared.

I don't know why Nintendo don't just stop making consoles and make their games multiplat
It would reach so many more people and make so much more money for them.

They can't seem to understand how to manage a console, they should keep doing games but stop making consoles.

Wouldn't you, core Ninty fans, like it?

No, that would pretty much be garbage. Instead of the gamepad all we'd have is the dualshock, or the Xbone controller? No thanks, it certainly isn't worth it for  better graphics. (Especially for how small the leap actually appears.)

Said the person who doesn't own a PS4.  I can assure you the leap is just about as big as usual.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Nintendo- Making profits off of Wii U and having huge success with Amiibos+3DS
Sega- Bleeding money from Dreamcast, cannot support themselves any longer

RolStoppable said:

I think it was probably smartphones that did that! Otherwise, we would've expected them to eliminate the PSP rather than the Vita. Given that the DS was such a success.

Low Sales did not drive Sega out of business, SegaNet did.

curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

The dreamcast has beaten the Wii U in terms of total life time sales launch to end of life. 

Don't know if you've heard, but Wii U is still selling.

Wanna bet it won't pass Dreamcast's 10.6 million lifetime?

He clearly meant in the same timeframe, in the west the Dreamcast was already disscontinued by now if you compare it to Wii-U. Even if you start counting from the Japan launch of the Dreamcast a year earlier and count two and half years of worldwide sales for Wii-U it might still lose. That's how bad it's selling.