By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogamer: Reasons Why you might not want to pre-order The Order 1886

Fuck Eurogamer. Thats all I have to say about that.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

Sony should stop giving Eurogamer early review copies.  Sony should make them the example like Microsoft has done to the press in the past.

It's obvious they don't want to review the game, no reason to give them a review copy.

Machiavellian said:

Could it be that because of Unity, Halo MCC, Driveclub that EG decided that maybe gamers might want to know about aspect of gameplay that could result in a bad purchase.  Since we have seen a few AAA games reach market with bugs intact, it does seem like making them known early is a good course so that they get addressed before the game launch.  If a preview states it sees these bugs in the game and they make it to retail, that tells you the developers and publisher decided the game can release with those bugs without addressing them but instead doing it in a patch.

Really, gamers need to stop being butt hurt for developer/publishers/console OEMs.  Instead people should take criticism as its meant to be, a way for you to have information before you spend your hard earned money.  I noticed on most forums instead of actually talking about whether any of the issues raised is a deal breaker, people put on their favorite corporation banner and start to wave it around.

Well we will see won't we, if Eurogamer telling people not to preorder a game becuase it has a few bugs in it is something they do regularly going forward. 

I won't be holding my breath though

McGilliguts said:
DonFerrari said:
Never buy day one, much less preorder. But I'll buy it anyway, how long after release and for how much will depend on how good the game is.

Indeed. Summer 2015 for 30 sounds about right.

Quite possibly a good deal on these conditions. take 3 months to buy and have it for half the price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Protendo said:

Sony should stop giving Eurogamer early review copies.  Sony should make them the example like Microsoft has done to the press in the past.

It's obvious they don't want to review the game, no reason to give them a review copy.

So what you are saying is that you rather EG gush on their preview of a game and never let the author give you his honest opinion on certan aspect of the gameplay that might be a deal breaker for some people.  Not sure why gamers would not want to know such things.  If they do not bother you then its no big deal but if it does you probably would want to know before you read the review after the game hit retail.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Madword said:
I really liked what I saw of that demo...

Sorry to EG, but I don't think my feelings on games meet their feelings on what is good these days. Ever since the Mafia 3 review, and other pretty poor reviews, I just don't care... getting it day 1, will probably really enjoy it.

I do find it surprising that no sites seem to be criticising Until Dawn for QTE's.... sounds like selective stuff.

There is no sorry to EG, it’s an opinion so if yours does not match up with the author then it’s a go.  For me, the video highlighted everything I do not want to do in a game.  I do not like a lot of QTEs.  Its one of the main reasons I cannot get with any of David Cage games like Heavy Rain.  I wanted to like and play the game but became to bored and never came close to finishing any of them.

Absolutely cannot stand instant fail type of stealth missions where I have to start at the beginning if caught.  What that tells me is that the game is prescripted through those parts and if you do not do it exactly as the developer wants then it screws up the game.  Stuff like that would frustrate me and make me hate the game.

While these things are may not be an issue for me, they are pretty big deal breakers for me.  I wish more sites for previews would give you their good and bad instead of the gushing previews we see then a painful review when the game arrives.

As far as until dawn, I do not believe anyone actually had time to play the game to give you a feeling on how it plays.  Do not forget that the author actually played the Order and this is his opinion of that play through.

So if you are on a mission that you must go absolutely undetected as objective and you are seem them lose it shows the game would crash otherwise not that you don't have the skills, memory or wanted to use a walkthrough??? It must be bad design, not just a game you don't like to play?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

celador said:
Machiavellian said:

Could it be that because of Unity, Halo MCC, Driveclub that EG decided that maybe gamers might want to know about aspect of gameplay that could result in a bad purchase.  Since we have seen a few AAA games reach market with bugs intact, it does seem like making them known early is a good course so that they get addressed before the game launch.  If a preview states it sees these bugs in the game and they make it to retail, that tells you the developers and publisher decided the game can release with those bugs without addressing them but instead doing it in a patch.

Really, gamers need to stop being butt hurt for developer/publishers/console OEMs.  Instead people should take criticism as its meant to be, a way for you to have information before you spend your hard earned money.  I noticed on most forums instead of actually talking about whether any of the issues raised is a deal breaker, people put on their favorite corporation banner and start to wave it around.

Well we will see won't we, if Eurogamer telling people not to preorder a game becuase it has a few bugs in it is something they do regularly going forward. 

I won't be holding my breath though

That’s the thing, EG is not telling you to not pre-order the game, they are telling you if the issues raised in the video are deal breakers for you then you MIGHT want to hold off on your pre-order.  There is a big difference in context here.  If none of the issues raise is a deal breaker then you can pretty much ignore the video.  Also there are 5 issues raised not just one which are bugs.  The video makes it very clear that this is a demo and bugs could be resolved when the game ship but if they are not then guess what, you will have an understanding that the developer/publisher did not feel the bugs should stop the game from shipping.

As the consumer, you now have the power to judge whether or not that is a big issue.  I actually believe previews should mentioned bugs in demos.  If they appear in retail then we know a decision was made to address those bugs after release.

As for if this will be something one regularly going forward, it probably would depend on if EG gets early demos of games and how much of the game is included.  I have read Eurogamer for probably over 10 years and they do occasionally give bad previews so its not uncommon.

I wish they would do videos like this for every AAA major release video game; the gaming community needs to shake its addiction to preorders.

DonFerrari said:

So if you are on a mission that you must go absolutely undetected as objective and you are seem them lose it shows the game would crash otherwise not that you don't have the skills, memory or wanted to use a walkthrough??? It must be bad design, not just a game you don't like to play?

If it’s a mission I must go absolutely undetected and I lose it then have an alternative fail where I do not have to start from the beginning.  In other words what i am saying is that this is a game play choice by the developer.  It's a very linear approach with no option to the player.  There are multiple ways for the developer to approach such scenarios but they chose this route.  For some people it will not be an issue.  For me, it’s an old school irritating mechanic that I hate.  To give you an example of mechanic I do love take Deus Ex.  It had plenty of stealth parts that allowed you as the gamer to tackle how you wanted and if you failed in doing so just meant you had to fight your way out, run away or find another route.  Another game would be dishonored.  

Having a mechanic where you try fail, do over, try fail do over is not fun for me, this is the reason its a big negative on my book.  Skills have nothing to do with it, I just do not do over type mechanic gameplay mostly because it breaks you out of the game.

Protendo said:

It's obvious (Eurogamer) don't want to review the game, no reason to give them a review copy.

LOL, this would be amazing. "Shit on 1886 (and that game alone) months before release, you get to buy your 'review copy.'" It'd be bad for both parties, but oh so entertaining to watch it all play out.