By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider is being published by Microsoft

true_fan said:
LordLichtenstein said:
true_fan said:
riderz13371 said:
true_fan said:
riderz13371 said:

Vitral? I don't know what that means. Also, where did he say that? I tried googling it but can't find anything. A link is much appreciated!

Sorry it was a typo, vitriol mean fury and anger. Ps4 fans would yell, petition and boycott when a dev not sony related does something, but when sony does the same thing it's usually excused. View the address below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-18-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-makes-case-for-tomb-raider-exclusivity-deal

This quote says it all.

"Now, obviously if I'm going to partner on it, I'm a platform holder, I'm hardly going to invest to go make the PlayStation version of any game. It is a business. So when we go invest with a partner on a big franchise, we're going to come with certain needs we have out of the relationship."

timed-exclusive.

Exactly for a PC version, it's so funny you skipped over where he explicitly mentions playstation. Oh well man keep holding out hope for that ps4 release.

Let me break this quote down for you.

"I'm hardly going to invest to go make the PlayStation version of any game"

Don't you think 
"hardly" is a strange choice of word, when he simply could have said "not" if the game was in fact exclusive?

"So when we go invest with a partner on a big franchise, we're going to come with certain needs we have out of the relationship."

What he probably meant was; they paid for exclusive content, marketing rights and the opportunity to publish the game, but being a direct competitor - what they really needed was "exclusivity". A big franchise like Tomb Raider is hard to money hat, so their "certain needs" probably just became timed-exclusivity.

Around the Network

Day one purchase!!

You have some people saying this game will end up on PS4 but have no evidence to support that claim -_____-. I just get the feeling this game will be like Dead Rising 3 and Ryse, PC version will come like 6 months later and I doubt a PS4 version will come.

NobleTeam360 said:
You have some people saying this game will end up on PS4 but have no evidence to support that claim -_____-. I just get the feeling this game will be like Dead Rising 3 and Ryse, PC version will come like 6 months later and I doubt a PS4 version will come.

The silence in the Microsoft/Square camp, confirmed it a long time ago.

There is another Tomb Raider game coming out tomorrow for all 3rd party supported current gen platfroms. No one here seems to give a crap about that. Yet, this same topic of conversation is going to get rehashed a bunch of times before Rise of Tomb Raider comes out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PbVUpGk9U (Site is so buggy)

Looking forward to playing it. Published by Sqeenix too. Your money will be going to the right publisher. 

Around the Network
LordLichtenstein said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Silence? that doesn't confirm the game is coming to PS4. 

Fusioncode said:
JayWood2010 said:

I posted a thread about this a long time ago. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=188583&page=0#1

Tomb Raider is Published, funded, and co-developed by Microsoft.  This is why it is very debatable that the timed means only PC.  While it could be on PS4 as well, usually published titles dont go to the competitor's platform.  If anything, i think this is Greenberg's way of saying that today

They're usually more direct about this sort of thing.

And Phil is on record as, more or less, saying they bought Holiday 2015 exclusivity and after that they have no especial hold on what CD/SE does with the game.

We'll see though. But if this is as far as MS can go in response to the news that SFV will never come to a non-PS console then that pretty much seals the inevitibility of RTR coming to PS4. If Greenberg could have tweeted that RTR was never going to be released on a non-Xbox console he would have done it by now. Though I suppose you've got to give MS a few more days to put out such a definitive statement so that, if true, they can make such a definitive statemetn, yet still obfuscate on PC. If they don't come out with something as definitive as the SFV statement fairly soon then we can be even more confident of a PS4 release some time after 1 Jan 2016.

Even though the time delay was very long, it should still be noted that Mass Effect 1 eventually came to PS3 even though it too was published by MS originally. Publication rights are not necessarily absolute, and it would be quite surprising if SE, which is a publisher in its own right, completely signed over publication rights to the game. When it eventiually does come to PC at least, which is all but guaranteed, it's likely it will be published by SE on that platform.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think Tomb Raider 2 exclusivity for 8-12 months, then GOTY edition for both systems.

SFV will be exclusive to PS4, but Super SFV will be for PS4/X1 and maybe even HDS/Fusion. Sony kept MGS4 exclusive, but Metal Gear Rising and MGSV are multiplat, just because you have a deal for one game doesn't mean the IP is exclusive indefinitely and we know Capcom is going to make like 3-4 different versions of SFV. 

the battle that will never end...

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

NobleTeam360 said:
LordLichtenstein said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Silence? that doesn't confirm the game is coming to PS4. 

The fact that they haven't said it's not coming to PS4 is the only thing right now that's making me think the game will come. 

Sony openly admitted that SV5 will be on PC and PS4 will be the only console it releases on. Microsoft hasn't said anything for TR in that regard. If it was full exclusive they would be shouting it from the rooftops. Or as our good friend Aaron Greenberg would say,

You gotta have the double exclusive to make it legit!!!