By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider is being published by Microsoft

sasquatchmontana said:
JustBeingReal said:

That's not even remotely true since the game is releasing on PC in early 2016, which automatically puts it in the Q1/2 window.

It's Titanfall part 2. The XBO version is the majority of the sales, with a year to itself. I still remember that spin. As if the 360 version and a late PC version are going to sell anything. I mean, yes, PS4 have options to play this game, just not on PS4.

It's already been stated that TF2 is coming to PS4, it's most likely going to sell a lot more on PS4, just like every other 3rd party game has, even when XBox had the marketing deal this generation, like on COD.

JustBeingReal said:

As for you "controversy" comment, if anything it's going to have an even more negative effect on the sales of the game on XBox because it's clear now that the better versions of the game will be availble pretty soon after the basic version comes out.

Ha no. This is essentially a big old fist fudge to the Playstation nation. OK, it's coming...much later than you expected. Hope you like waiting. Love Square Enix

Yeah, I'm afraid that's the case my friend.

Who's waiting around for RTR when there's a bunch of other more impressive games incoming, like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Dreams, The Last Guardian, Street Fighter 5 (not a PS exclusive, but still not coming to XBox and cross play with PC gamers too).

All multiplats will likely sell much better on PS4 then there's the 1st proper VR game in RIGS which looks awesome.

JustBeingReal said:

This holds no incentive for PS4 owners to buy an XBox One, if they still own a 360 they can just buy it there and any PC gamers just have to wait a few months.

MS didn't do this deal for PS4 owners, it was just another game in their lineup. Of course had they known the PS4's holiday lineup was PS3 and Vita ports for the 3rd year running, they probably wouldn't have bothered. They have Halo, Forza, early DLC for CoD, Fallout with extra content and mods and Battlefront First on XB1 and A year of Tomb Raider to itself vs Uncharted collection.

I'm not surprised they delayed Quantum Break.

Yeah that's why Phil Spencer came out and stated outright that this was done because MS couldn't come up with their own contender for the Uncharted 4 crowd of gamers.

The exclusives have been thin on the ground on Xbox, RTR was one of a few this year.

As for you comments on the Fall, Fall really doesn't matter when the rest of the year has exclusives, I mean PS4 hasn't been sitting around, waiting for an exclusive for 11 months like XB1, remember Sunset Overdrive came out in October last year, then Forza 6 is the next one, that's a September release.

JustBeingReal said:

Also the game's releasing right near Fallout 4, which is likely going to absolutely curbstomp anything that isn't COD or Battlefront, maybe even Metal Gear 5.

A joke? It's a hyped - even better, CONTROVERSIAL - 3rd person game launching in November. It's already going to launch better then TR 2013.

No joke here at all, just the truth, Fallout is going to destroy anything in the sales department this Holiday that isn't COD or Battlefront and all 3 of those games are going to sell more on PS4, same goes for Metal Gear and any of the other major Multiplats.

TR 2013 was another game that sold better on PS3 and PS4, those sales aren't going to be there, 360 gamers can just buy it there, the XB1 sales for the 2013 game were pretty lackluster by comparison, that will likely be the case for the XB1 version of RTR.

JustBeingReal said:

Most likely GT7 will be a Fall 2016 release, since Kaz Yamaucha has already stated that the game will be out before 2017, so it's pretty likely the release of RotTR will get brought forward into the summer, otherwise it will be clobbered by fresh, new big games.

More likely, Microsofts deal sets the duration, which is a year on the only platform they care to keep it off of and hilarious too, so at the end of next year when there's Crackdown, Scalebound, Horizon, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 2,Mass Effect Andromeda, CoD 2016, BF5 and Christ know what else new and exciting, whos going to care about a year old game?

It wouldn't have just been MS setting the terms, SE likely has clauses in place based on sales, since it's unlikely the game is going to sell well on XB1, because the majority of TR gamers are on PS4 or PS3 Square just has to wait to get their sales when it comes to PS4, it's their fault if they decided to make such stupid choices with who to partner up with.

PS4 will have had Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, probably RIGS as a Morpheus launch game, umpteen other Multiplats including the ones you listed which will sell a boatload more on PS4.

The TR audience is already there on PS4, but they get to play a bunch of other games in the meantime, they'll just buy the better console version of RTR when it releases.

JustBeingReal said:

Most likely GT7 will be a Fall 2016 release, since Kaz Yamaucha has already stated that the game will be out before 2017, so it's pretty likely the release of RotTR will get brought forward into the summer, otherwise it will be clobbered by fresh, new big games.

And if there's one thing you can rely on, it's Gran Turismo games being released on time.

Besides GT5 yeah every other GT game's come on time, using an exception doesn't help you prove the rule.

JustBeingReal said:

CD should just release it on PC and PS4 in the Summer, away from Uncharted 4 or Horizon, which will both likely dominate Q2.

Horizon is a Holiday 2016 title as per the trailer, so it's well out of the way. Unfortunately, Sony has delayed a game every year for the last decade and when Uncharted isn't safe from the shove all bets are off.

Nope, technically GG has just stated 2016 right now, but their last 2 games both released within 9 months of when they were announced, considering HZD's gameplay is already running better than the behind closed doors Bloodborne footage from last E3 it's highly likely that Horizon will be a March release.

Uncharted 4 is already running like release standard anyway, so it's pretty logical to think it would get brought forward a month.

MS has made more delays, I certainly wouldn't bank on anything, even Gears 4, considering Halo 5 was meant to be a 2014 game, then that got delayed, Quantum Break was meant to be Fall 2014, which never happened either, MS has delayed more over time, rarely keeps their promises on many things.

See bold comments.

Around the Network

MS has made more delays, I certainly wouldn't bank on anything, even Gears 4, considering Halo 5 was meant to be a 2014 game, then that got delayed, Quantum Break was meant to be Fall 2014, which never happened either, MS has delayed more over time, rarely keeps their promises on many things.

See bold comments.

Wait, Halo 5 and quantum break were supposed to be 2014 games? Why haven't I heard that before...And they say Sony can't release games on time...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Michelasso said:
Aerys said:
Michelasso said:
sasquatchmontana said:

If anything he undersold it, since its less holiday exclusive, and more like Holiday, Spring, Summer and Autumn exclusive.

Certainly more fun than some random armor in Destiny and the controversy has raised RotTR profile 10 fold.

As an Xbox exclusive? No, it isn't. Not to mention that autumn ends on December 21, and I'm quite sure SE plans to publish the PS4 version well before that day.

Still Phil Spencer didn't spin much. It's thanks to him that we knew it was a timed exclusive. That Aaron guy, instead.. He must be the best friend of Don Mattrick.

Phil spinned a lot first, saying " we wouldnt fund a game to see it coming on other platforms", but when he saw people were understanding the truth, he told part of it to prevent people to call it a liar, but still

Did he really say so? I remember reading a lot about this timed exclusive deal after the infamous announcement, and Phil Spencer was actually the one specifying that "exclusive for Xbox on Holiday 2015" just meant exclusive on that time window, as SE later confirmed.

But if he said anything like that, he is liar. MS is notorious for "funding" third party games just to delay the games on the competiting console(s). Still I wonder why the truth came out so early.

Hé spinned exactly like that : " Clearly, I'm not going to invest in something to make games great on other platforms "

Hé spinned enough good to not call him a liar even if hé wanted US to believe lies with this sentence 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

So how does this work?

Is Microsoft going to publish the game on the PC and PS4 too?

How do you have one game, with two publishers, being sold side by side?

What a mess.

Normchacho said:

See bold comments.

Wait, Halo 5 and quantum break were supposed to be 2014 games? Why haven't I heard that before...And they say Sony can't release games on time...

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/22/quantum-break-remedy-explains-how-the-game-and-tv-show-tie-into-one-another/

"Quantum Break is slated for release in 2014."

Then IGN had this video, where Sam Lake says it will be out in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rOFcXLuFk

As for Halo 5, at 2:03 in the trailer below it says "2014 Your Journey Begins On Xbox One":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blW40AVWXrE

Yep those with a certain vested interest in spinning things their way love to leave out these facts.

Around the Network
MDX said:

So how does this work?

Is Microsoft going to publish the game on the PC and PS4 too?

How do you have one game, with two publishers, being sold side by side?

What a mess.

MS publishes the game on Xbox, that was always going to be the case, MS may publish the windows version or that could Square Enix, Sony could either publish the Playstation version(s) of the game or it could be Square Enix.

The whole publishing business with this game was always meant to cause confusion to make people think it was never coming to any other platform besides Xbox, even though that's the most ridiculous notion anyone could possibly have.

Like I said biggest Facepalm of the generation so far!