By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Uncharted is copying Tomb Raider now?

No, just learning from what came before and expanding on those ideas. Games have always done that.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
riderz13371 said:
d21lewis said:
All I can say is play Tomb Raider Legend on PS2 (or in the HD compilation for PS3). Then, play Uncharted Drake's Fortune on PS3.

Aside from the cover mechanic, everything that Uncharted did, Legend did first. There's a reason Uncharted used to be called "Dude Raider".

I know, but I wonder why Uncharted has become so much more popular than TR...

It's a better quality franchise.  Underworld was the only true 7th gen Tomb Raider until the reboot and it wasn't that good.  While I like the Tomb Raider franchise, I'm not oblivious to reality.  Uncharted took things that Tomb Raider did and did them better.  And it had sharper writing.

I think Uncharted 2 and TR Reboot are the best in the genre (with an edge to U2).

Wasnt there another Tomb Raider on 360 before Underworld? I remember playing it. But yea Uncharted pretty much revived that side of the genre. Tomb Raider didn't know wtf it wanted to be before Uncharted came in and showed how shit needs to be done. Then Uncharted 2 came and flipped the 1st Uncharted. 

I feel like Sonic is currently in the same situation Tomb Raider was in before Uncharted came around. They dont know wtf to do with Sonic. The Sonic franchise needs an "Uncharted 2" to help positoon Sonic back up to the standard it needs to be today. I also feel like Ratchet & Clank needs an "Uncharted 2" I just could-not with the R&C's on PS3(only played TOD and ACIT). I LOVED R&C 1 and 3 on ps2 but I just felt thr PS3 games were missing something. I also feel like Twisted Metal needs an "Uncharted 2". TM's controls are just WAAAAAAYYYYYY too complicated for its own good today.

About UC2 and TR Reboot, yea, I like UC2 more aswell but there were a couple things that Tomb Raider DEFEATED Uncharted at and that was those little optional Tombs that you can find in Tomb Raider, a slight RPG/enhancement/weapon system, a detection/listen mode, and slight wildlife interaction.

After playing TR and The Last Of Us and going back to UC2 and UC3, I realised that the next Uncharted was going to need these. I was planning on making a thread about it before the Uncharted 4 gameplay came out but I never got around to it. So far we can see that UC4 has infact added the detection/listen mode but I hope the other things make it aswell ESPECIALLY the rpg/enhancement/weapon system kind of like the way it was in The Last Of Us

I saw elements of TR in the demo. All of it welcome. The basic mechanics of Uncharted suck. The story and bat shit crazy set pieces helped my get throught U2 but I couldn't complete the 3rd game because it bored me to tears playing it.The stealth, traversal and melee all seem to be refined which is a step in the right direction.

badgenome said:
I love Kresnik!

Looked like every other Uncharted to me...

Haha I'm assuming u lost a bet to Kresnik?

pitzy272 said:

Haha I'm assuming u lost a bet to Kresnik?

I love Kresnik!

I lost a bet to fireburn95. Fortunately he's a nice guy so I only have to debase myself like this for the rest of the day instead of the month we originally agreed upon.

Around the Network

Who cares. Game looks amazing, ill get both Tomb Raider and Uncharted next year. Its always been discussed that Uncharted was very similar to Tomb Raider but better. Then Tomb Raider imitated Uncharted and to some people thinks Tomb Raider was better than Uncharted. Let both of them improve each other. Both amazing.

Nah, we haven't seen if this is open world gameplay or not.

What they've added which TR also had is using a "pick" for climbing, and a rope mechanic. I think it's pretty normal to see them try to best each-other.

It's like with shooters, now after Titanfall the theme is "movement". Then COD:AW added new movements with exo-suits and Halo 5 showed off new movements like run & tackle.

My 8th gen collection

yes!
is not a problem, is a solution. tomb raider is awesome.

enditall727 said:

You're trying to act like you're not bothered by it but yet you've made the thread. I'm pretty sure if Uncharted 4 was a multiplat game, not affiliated with Sony and was on all consoles, you probably wouldn't have made this thread about a game that was known as a Tomb Raider copy back in 07 now copying Tomb Raider in 2014.. but I could be wrong though

I'm not trying to act like anything. I stated pretty clearly that the prospect of uncharted going open world DOES bother me. Plus if the next tomb raider has a similar setting and premise then that will bother me as well since I'd much prefer for both games to not tread the same territory.

Btw... Can we please cut the Sony persecution nonsense. Seriously, its getting old. I said the same thing about Tomb Raider reboot because it was clearly copying Uncharted and that was a multiplat game not affiliated with Sony.

Now?? Pretty sure Uncharted has been called Dude Raider since the first one no?