By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Uncharted is copying Tomb Raider now?

d21lewis said:
All I can say is play Tomb Raider Legend on PS2 (or in the HD compilation for PS3). Then, play Uncharted Drake's Fortune on PS3.

Aside from the cover mechanic, everything that Uncharted did, Legend did first. There's a reason Uncharted used to be called "Dude Raider".

I know, but I wonder why Uncharted has become so much more popular than TR...

Around the Network
torok said:
poklane said:
Naughty Dog shows huge island = Uncharted 4 open world confirmed
okay then

I saw Drake hiding on the grass too. Full Metal Gear stealth gameplay confirmed!

Plot twist: his brother will be called liquid drake.

OttoniBastos said:

And Drake defeats him, only to have see the arm of his former brother Liquid Drake be attached to Revolver Sully and he will became Liquid Sully, the ultimate foe!

torok said:
OttoniBastos said:

And Drake defeats him, only to have see the arm of his former brother Liquid Drake be attached to Revolver Sully and he will became Liquid Sully, the ultimate foe!

Day one would buy twice! lol

riderz13371 said:
d21lewis said:
All I can say is play Tomb Raider Legend on PS2 (or in the HD compilation for PS3). Then, play Uncharted Drake's Fortune on PS3.

Aside from the cover mechanic, everything that Uncharted did, Legend did first. There's a reason Uncharted used to be called "Dude Raider".

I know, but I wonder why Uncharted has become so much more popular than TR...

It's a better quality franchise.  Underworld was the only true 7th gen Tomb Raider until the reboot and it wasn't that good.  While I like the Tomb Raider franchise, I'm not oblivious to reality.  Uncharted took things that Tomb Raider did and did them better.  And it had sharper writing.

I think Uncharted 2 and TR Reboot are the best in the genre (with an edge to U2).

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

It's a better quality franchise.  Underworld was the only true 7th gen Tomb Raider until the reboot and it wasn't that good.  While I like the Tomb Raider franchise, I'm not oblivious to reality.  Uncharted took things that Tomb Raider did and did them better.  And it had sharper writing.

I think Uncharted 2 and TR Reboot are the best in the genre (with an edge to U2).

I quite enjoyed Underworld, it's nowhere near the original Core's TRs, but it's pretty good TR game. On the other hand, I think Reboot is very average game (bar shooting mechanics) and horrid TR experience.

Hm, I'm getting deja vu right about here - I think we had this conversation before, but don't blame me, I hardly ever miss a chance to shit on Reboot and everything it stands for. ;)

wilco said:

We came full circle when the Tomb Raider reboot was trying to be uncharted and now it seems that we've looped back around and come full circle once more with Uncharted 4 looking a lot like the Tomb Raider reboot. 

There is no denying that it looks a lot like the Tomb Raider reboot. It certainly looks like Drake is stranded on an open world island, exactly like tomb raider.

The game definitely looks amazing but I don't think Uncharted needed to go open world. Part of the appeal of uncharted is the varied environments and globe trotting aspects of the game.

It makes perfect sense, considering that "Uncharted" is the original "Tomb Raider" knockoff. Both of which are video game versions of "Indiana Jones", which was itself an homage to the pulp adventures of the 1930s. We're not dealing with new ideas here... Having said that, I love every franchise listed above and I think that's the point. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Sure. Why not?

badgenome said:
I love Kresnik!

Looked like every other Uncharted to me...

Thank you for saying it so I didn't have to. 

The similarities are improvements IMO, so what's the problem?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix