By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Uncharted is copying Tomb Raider now?

axumblade said:
I wouldn't say that this demo proves that Uncharted has moved towards being an Open World game. Yes, you see your destination but it appears you are still being sort of forced in a general direction like the other games. Furthermore, Naughty Dog would have been stupid if they spent any time trying to show off how lifelike their invisible walls are in the game. Also, I doubt the whole game is going to end up taking place in just this one environment though I could be completely wrong on these assumptions.

Frankly, having played the last 3 on PS3, I'm not even beginning to draw the connection between the view of your destination, and an open world title.  To be even more frank, I'd state emphatically that anyone making this claim, has never played one of the Uncharted titles, because that moment where Drake looks out over a broad expanse, and the destination is somewhere off in the distance, is literally in _every_ Uncharted game.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
mornelithe said:

Frankly, having played the last 3 on PS3, I'm not even beginning to draw the connection between the view of your destination, and an open world title.  To be even more frank, I'd state emphatically that anyone making this claim, has never played one of the Uncharted titles, because that moment where Drake looks out over a broad expanse, and the destination is somewhere off in the distance, is literally in _every_ Uncharted game.

Some people assume that because you can see everything that you'd be able to reach or touch almost everything. I'm just saying that's not really necessarily the case. 

Such a conclusion, goes against virtually every game anyone has ever played.  I agree with you, btw, I quoted you because I agreed.  There is literally no game out there, that everything you see, you can touch/reach.  That reality doesn't exist.

wilco said:
adriane23 said:
Um, did you ever play any of the Uncharted games? I'm not seeing where you got this copying idea from.

Yes, I have played all three (console) games. And like I said I am only talking specifically about the similarities between UC4 and TR reboot, not any of the other UC or TR games. Yes, I realize Drake has gone to jungle islands many times before, but this has a vibe that is much more similar to the TR reboot. Even the island landscape shots with the ocean in the background are very reminiscent of the TR shots the TR reboot used in their promotional material. The pick axe, the rope... there is a lot of stuff that looks very similar. I can't help it, I'm getting a real sense of deja vu. If they had gone with a different setting I wouldn't be making these claims but there are just too many similarities (not just the obvious treasure hunter premise similarities) for me not to get a sense of deja vu.

You do realize that the whole game doesn't take place on a jungle island right? Uncharted 4 is a GLOBETROTTING adventure, as stated by Naughty Dog. Also, the island in Tomb Raider was much more bleak compared to what has been shown so far of Uncharted 4 and it also had a snowy peak. I doubt the island in Uncharted will be nearly as fleshed out or varied. The pick (it's not a pick axe) to rock climb is the only viable mechanic that is similar in both games.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

While the enviroment looks huge, it doesn't look open world. The gameplay looked linear with various paths available. A bit like Crysis 2 if you will. In my opinion, both Tomb Raider and Uncharted take a page from Indiana Jones, and that's not a bad thing.

Even Indiana Jones was just a throwback to old fashioned movies from Spielberg and Lucas's childhood.

Around the Network

There's nothing in that demo that was open world. It was as linear as the others.

IM pretty sure its gona be like TLOU, a lot of big open regions where you do a bunch of stuf, explore, kill a bunch of guys and than move foward to a new setting.