By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Toad metacritic user score ridiculously high

You have opened Pandora's box it seems
Only shows how irrelevant the user score on Meta really is and how it can be easily manipulated, both positively or negatively.

Around the Network
VXIII said:

Only shows how irrelevant the user score on Meta really is and how it can be easily manipulated, both positively or negatively.

Sadly yes :p

VXIII said:

Early on it's always just waves of die hard fans and trolls but it will even out once all the players who are currently too busy playing the game have their fill of it and start posting legitimite reviews. It will be interesting to see where it ends up at once it gets a couple hundred reviews.

Samus Aran said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Samus Aran said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Its a niche Nintendo exclusive. Nobody cares enough to give it a bad rating.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/harmoknight

So is this game yet it has an average score. 

I'm sure harmoknight is more well known then Captain Toad. Mario has nothing on harmoknight. Especially not SM3DW.

First you claim almost one cares for Captain Toad as its too niche and now you claim the opposite for Harmoknight (assuming you're being sarcastic here)? 

Yes, the following was sarcasm. Congratulations. Here is the real meaning:

Harmoknight is not more well known than Captain Toad which was a minigame in Super Mario 3D World, which is not a niche game. Thus while the game appeals to a subset of the fanbase of SM3DW, those who actually care enough to even rate it would only be fans of the game, Captain Toad, not neccessarily SM3DW fans. Harmoknight, by contrast is completely unknown, and rather than being featured in another game, the only people who would buy it and bother to rate it would be those who simply tried it and cared enough to do so.

And for the record.

Niche does not mean unknown. Niche means that it has a small amount of appeal usually relative to other games of similar genre. For instance Dark/Demon Souls is niche despite being well known.

The opposite of Niche Appeal is mainstream appeal not being well known, that is being unknown. Clearly Captain Toad, hyped up by some fans since its announcement, is not an unknown game.

Addendum: The score dropping right now is because attention has been drawn to the fact. It is more likely and virtually certain that people are trying to bring down the user score because of the score itself rather than the game.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

It won't be long before the 1's come dumping in from the people who didn't even play it but think the game's for babies.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network

i'm thinking maybe it's an excellent game. just a guess tho.

down to 8.7 now, if that's comforting to you. i'm sure the littlebigplanet crowd had sth to do with it.

DerpSandwich said:
It won't be long before the 1's come dumping in from the people who didn't even play it but think the game's for babies.

let me try: y u nintendrone neckbeards only play baby gaems lol captin toadd whuteva imma go play destiny like a real man nintendoomed need to make proper next gen or else their doomed lol nintendo fanboys are teh worsetest

Samus Aran said:
vivster said:
It's because the only people who care about the game are the biggest Nintendo fans. Guess what score the biggest Nintendo fans will give most Nintendo games.

Then all Nintendo games would score this high.

Hint: they don't. 

The remake of the most overrated game of all time only has a user score of 8.8. Can you guess which game? Of course you can. 

Hmmmm. Tetris?

Smear-Gel said:
Samus Aran said:
vivster said:
It's because the only people who care about the game are the biggest Nintendo fans. Guess what score the biggest Nintendo fans will give most Nintendo games.

The remake of the most overrated game of all time only has a user score of 8.8. Can you guess which game? Of course you can. 

Hmmmm. Tetris?

Ocarina of Time. Which on every Zelda top ten gets number one. Even worse it gets number one all the time on best video game ever lists as well. 

It's a good game, but it's not even the best Zelda game. All future Zelda games have improved upon Ocarina of Time (haven't played MM though). In fact, Ocarina of Time isn't even the best Ocarina of Time! Twlight Princess is!  

Samus Aran said:
Smear-Gel said:
Samus Aran said:
vivster said:

Hmmmm. Tetris?

Ocarina of Time. Which on every Zelda top ten gets number one. Even worse it gets number one all the time on best video game ever lists as well. 

It's a good game, but it's not even the best Zelda game. All future Zelda games have improved upon Ocarina of Time (haven't played MM though). In fact, Ocarina of Time isn't even the best Ocarina of Time! Twlight Princess is!  

I know that's what you'd say, I'm just messing with you.

Honestly, I dont think OoT is that overrated, and it's not even in my top 4 for Zelda games.