By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Toad metacritic user score ridiculously high

Squeezol said:
I think people are just rating this game way too high. Some people say it is a simple but polished game in a year full of unpolished AAA games, which is true, but that doesn't mean that this game instantly deserves a 10,

It's only at 8.9 thanks to a couple of trolls. 

Well, at least this game was playable on day one. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Squeezol said:
I think people are just rating this game way too high. Some people say it is a simple but polished game in a year full of unpolished AAA games, which is true, but that doesn't mean that this game instantly deserves a 10,

I'm talking about individual user scores here.

Samus Aran said:

I already know how useless user scores can be for PS and XBOX games, but like I said, I have always found them to be more accurate on when it comes to Nintendo games. And the Wii U has many niche games if we're going by sales. Bayonetta 1 is widely considered a niche game yet it sold more than DKC: TF will probably ever reach. Even Bayo 2 is currently outpacing it (but maybe that game is more frontloaded than DKC). 

I doubt any PS or XBOX fanboy cares enough to give DK a low score or anything. It's more plausible that frustrated people will give it a low score because the game kicked their ass. :) 

I'd still not personally put much value in then, but they're certainly more accurate that the scores you see on most non-Nintendo titles.

Still, like i said, the sample size alone brings its accuracy into question. Once it has a few hundred votes, i'd be more willing to take it seriously (or as seriously as i can take a user score lol).

Squeezol said:
Samus Aran said:
Squeezol said:

I can understand giving a fun game a 10 after you played dozens of AAA games with broken launches. 

Zekkyou said:
Samus Aran said:

I already know how useless user scores can be for PS and XBOX games, but like I said, I have always found them to be more accurate on when it comes to Nintendo games. And the Wii U has many niche games if we're going by sales. Bayonetta 1 is widely considered a niche game yet it sold more than DKC: TF will probably ever reach. Even Bayo 2 is currently outpacing it (but maybe that game is more frontloaded than DKC). 

I doubt any PS or XBOX fanboy cares enough to give DK a low score or anything. It's more plausible that frustrated people will give it a low score because the game kicked their ass. :) 

I'd still not personally put much value in then, but they're certainly more accurate that the scores you see on most non-Nintendo titles.

Still, like i said, the sample size alone brings its accuracy into question. Once it has a few hundred votes, i'd be more willing to take it seriously (or as seriously as i can take a user score lol).

Yeah, I didn't make this thread to prove Captain Toad was the best thing ever, just shocked to see 31 people practically give it a 10/10 in a row. Haven't seen that much on metacritic. 

I'll take the user score of DKC: TF over the critic score any day though! :p 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Squeezol said:
Samus Aran said:

I can understand giving a fun game a 10 after you played dozens of AAA games with broken launches. 

I can understand it too, but it is not very reasonable. (User scores in general aren't reasonable anyway.)

Squeezol said:
Samus Aran said:

I can understand it too, but it is not very reasonable. (User scores in general aren't reasonable anyway.)

Metacritic has two scores for users:

10: liked it

0: didn't like it

:p

Samus Aran said:
Squeezol said:

Metacritic has two scores for users:

10: liked it

0: didn't like it

:p

Exactly. :P

Well, people seem to be positive about this game nonetheless , but the game will probably fade away into obscurity soon.

Dusk said:
vivster said:
It's because the only people who care about the game are the biggest Nintendo fans. Guess what score the biggest Nintendo fans will give most Nintendo games.

I disagree with that statement completely.

It probably comes from people knowing they are going to like the game or not. I told a friend of mine at work today that when I get home I'm going to purchase Captain Toad, he was like "really?.. Captain Toad?.. why?". He is a big Nintendo fan, and general gaming fan but he hated the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW (which I really enjoyed btw) so he know's he isn't going to like the game, but with that said, he won't buy it either.

I haven't suggested that the people who rated it didn't like the game. Just that there are definitely no people who would buy it and then don't like it. There is not really much to this game so there is no reason to buy it if you don't already know that you will enjoy the gameplay.

It doesn't have a big name attached to it either so the chance that someone will not know what it's like before buying it is very low. So a very low chance of disappointments all around.

Also very low interest from the usual detractors. No Nintendo hater even gives a shit about it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

BraLoD said:
31 scores = 9.9
41 scores = 8.7

Wow, it's getting down really quickly.

Because trolls responded to this thread.