By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Wii “a shadow of its former self”, Vita better than 3DS and others as “best handheld gaming experience”

As much as I love my Vita, this guy is out of touch with reality.

I myself would say that Vita is the best handhled experience, but this guy has to consider the whole market and the situation is the following :
- it has the best experience for niche japanese games (tiny audience)
- it offers a poor experience for kids (large audience)
- it offers a poor experience for casuals (large audience)
- it offers no more experience for consumers of western AAA (very large audience)

so Vita fails on something like 90% of the market. So before they talk big, they could like go back to the dev. desks and giving us some update on Gravity Daze 2, which will help the experience a lot more than their self satisfaction.

Around the Network

The most expensive yet the worst portable gaming experience.

Fuck, he's right about the "Wii". if someone offered me a PS4 and its best games for my WiiU and library I'd take that offer in a heartbeat.

However Id go sell the PS4 immediately to some hyped kid and re-buy the WiiU and keep the profit.

Seriously though, sales aside, WiiU is making PS4 and Xbone look like its bitches when it comes to games.

disolitude said:
Fuck, he's right about the "Wii". if someone offered me a PS4 and its best games for my WiiU and library I'd take that offer in a heartbeat.

However Id go sell the PS4 immediately to some hyped kid and re-buy the WiiU and keep the profit.

Seriously though, sales aside, WiiU is making PS4 and Xbone look like its bitches when it comes to games.

While this is subjective, of course, don't forget it's also longer in the market

Tippi said:

A couple of folks over at Sony shared some not-so-nice comments pertaining to Nintendo in recent interviews.

First, while speaking with Red Bull, Sony’s Fergal Gara said that the Wii “is a shadow of its former self.” Gara was reflecting on the future of the PlayStation 4 and appealing to a mass market.

Elsewhere in an interview with IGN, Sony Computer Entertainment America president/CEO Shawn Layden stated that he believes the PlayStation Vita offers the best portable gaming experience – even more so than what Nintendo is doing with 3DS.

NEVER!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

The wii statement is completely true, but as for 3ds and vita it doesnt hold up. I agree that vita is the best platform on the market in terms of hardware, but software is really lacking compared to the 3ds. If 3ds software and vita hardware combined that would make for an actual competition to mobile.

"deskpro2k3 said:
Freedom Wars on Vita is awesome. Code 7 baby, oh yea!
The only reason I might pick up a 3ds is for pokemon. Yea 3DS is the pokemon handheld system."

I own a 3DS and numerous games for it. None of them are Pokémon.
3DS million+ sellers: 32
Vita million+ sellers: 3
A Pokémon game may be the highest selling single game on the system, however there is a huge amount of software selling on 3DS that is not Pokémon.

"KylieDog 8 hours ago
Didn't do anything, smartdevices killed Vita. 3DS didn't, that thing fighting for its life. 230m handheld sales last gen...where they go? Not even gonna reach 100m this gen."

The massive shrink in handheld sales is more Vita's fault than 3DS. If 3DS is tracking about 50% behind DS, while Vita is tracking 80% by PSP, than clearly Vita's drop has something to do with more than just the mobile market. It's been 3 full years, and Sony hasn't even moved 10 million of them yet? 3DS is doing what it's supposed to do. It's moving software, and making Nintendo money. It doesn't have to sell DS numbers to do either of those things. The profit Nintendo made during the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era proves that.

They don't support the Vita with AAA games in US anymore because it isn't financially feasible. They do however still support Japanese AAA games.

Someone asked "how can they believe the vita is the best and yet not support it".
It's simple, and it works with many products.
Like, the concorde jet. The owners would say it was the best plane for consumer travel...but they had to discontinue it because it wasn't financially viable.

Mandalore76 said:
"KylieDog 8 hours ago
Didn't do anything, smartdevices killed Vita. 3DS didn't, that thing fighting for its life. 230m handheld sales last gen...where they go? Not even gonna reach 100m this gen."

The massive shrink in handheld sales is more Vita's fault than 3DS. If 3DS is tracking about 50% behind DS, while Vita is tracking 80% by PSP, than clearly Vita's drop has something to do with more than just the mobile market. It's been 3 full years, and Sony hasn't even moved 10 million of them yet? 3DS is doing what it's supposed to do. It's moving software, and making Nintendo money. It doesn't have to sell DS numbers to do either of those things. The profit Nintendo made during the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era proves that.

Its more mobile took more features the PSP offered from it. Media was a big part of PSPs appeal. Nobody bought a DS for movies and mp3 playback.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.