By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: Wii “a shadow of its former self”, Vita better than 3DS and others as “best handheld gaming experience”

deskpro2k3 said:

Freedom Wars on Vita is awesome. Code 7 baby, oh yea!

The only reason I might pick up a 3ds is for pokemon. Yea 3DS is the pokemon Smash Bros Fire Emblem SMT Mario Zelda Rune Factory etc. handheld system.

fixed

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Freedom Wars on Vita is awesome. Code 7 baby, oh yea!

The only reason I might pick up a 3ds is for pokemon. Yea 3DS is the pokemon Smash Bros Fire Emblem SMT Mario Zelda Rune Factory etc. handheld system.

fixed

I like pokemon only. mario and zelda can go retire.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

I like pokemon only. mario and zelda can go retire.

Welp, don't we have different tastes? I'm not that big of a Pokemon fan and I think FF should be the one to retire :P

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Okay so first of all... Lets see this whole, it was more critically acclaimed thing... So you gave two examples, Danganronpa (80? I believe thats what it has unless I am looking at the wrong one) and Demon Gaze (70) vs Bravely Default (85) and Kirby Triple Deluxe (80) so give me more games please. Oh and Danganronpa was a psp port I believe.

The wiiU does have some great exclusives but mostly for the second year, for the first year on the other hand, it was plegged with Delays, a shit ton of platformers and hardly anything else, tons of bad press, no advertising and the list goes on so its quite easy to see why its not selling very well. So no, the wiiU did not have a stunning first year. It had one of the worst first years ever! The games lacked varity in the sense that most were either niche or from the same genre, as well as third party pissing all over with by having bad ports or getting missing DLC and again, so many games had delays. And yes, it did launch on the same year in the west but Japan is big on handheld devices so its not exactly like it was only a small boost and the vita had like 6+ months worth of sales anyway in the west.

I don't get how the 3ds was more expensive than the vita when u include the memory card? The 3ds was $250 at launch and it included the AC adapter and a 2gb memory card, the Vita costed $250 at launch and it didn't include any memory card so u had to buy one whether u wanted to or not and lets not forget, a 32gb microsd card costed $20-$30 but a 32gb Vita memory card costed $100... Like, how do you even say that it cheaper? And region free is and always will be an extra feature rather than a must have feature cause for most, the import fees and the shipping fees cost a lot!

And I did have a Vita but I sold it, I can show u pics if u need proof.

And yes, of course they are happy when it gets ported to the ps3/ps4 cause heres the thing. Before the Vita came out, a shit ton of people had a ps3 so if most of the games that were coming out for the vita were multiplatform, why should a person that has a ps3 spend $200+ to get a vita when he can just save it and play the game on his ps3? And Sony is obviously showing a lot more support for the ps4 than they ever did for the vita so of course the people will be glad when ports come to the ps4 cause when they want to upgrade from the ps3, they can play the games without needing a vita cause it doesn't have any support.

And not really... Games sell hardware, not the other way around... You can have top of the line hardware till the cows come home but if it doesn't have any games that people want or the hardware doesn't justify the price compared to the competition, then it just wont sell...

@Bolded, dude we're a forum post shit about video games, you don't need to prove anything to me. I was meaning in general, not necessarily you specifically. Though if you sold it pre 2014, this year isn't the 3DS' 2013, but it's been damn solid!

On Vita pricing, on launch it was more expensive, especially after Nintendo slashed the 3DS price. However I wasn't talking about release, the Vita has generally been a cheaper proposition, at least in Europe, for the best part of 2013 onwards. (Vita with 10 game download card and 16gb memory card being £149.99 consistently at places like Shop To while the 3DS XL was £199.99 with 1 game, though the 3DS XL had some much nicer systems, especially the Link Between Worlds system which I have along with an OOT LE system :) )

Critically acclaimed part comes from total number of titles rated. These are taken from meta critic 3DS and Vita all time rankings. Not ideal, but about as close as there is to go off for an objective look at subjective opinions on games on the systems. (forgive me if this isn't exact, I've just plucked these off meta critic now)

85%+ 3DS 3 Vita 6
75%+ 3DS 23 Vita 26

85%+ 3DS 7 Vita 7
75%+ 3DS 27 Vita 34

85%+ 3DS 4 Vita 6
75%+ 3DS 26 Vita 38

85%+ 3DS 5
75%+ 3DS 17

Alltime
85%+ 3DS 19 Vita 17
75%+ 3DS 93 Vita 115

Average per year

85% 3DS 4.75 Vita 5.66
75% 3DS 23.25 Vita 38.33

The Vita lineup also covers more genres that appeal to me, particularly racing games which are barely existent on 3DS barring Mario Kart.

It's a subjective matter as we know so I don't think there's really any more to discuss beyond this post. I like Racing games, FPS/TPS games etc, 3DS doesn't really have any of these to offer, as well as enjoying the more niche Japanese software. So for me there is no competition. I do love Mario, Zelda and a fair few other Nintendo games too, which is why I have these on 3DS. However venturing beyond those staples the lineup doesn't appeal to me anywhere near as much. So for me, what Sony are saying about the Vita being the ultimate handheld experience is absolutely true and my game collection and the number of hours I've poured into the Vita catalogue are testiment to this (as I say, I was a big 3DS gamer prior to getting a Vita).

And just finally on the Wii U point. Weren't 3.5 million Wii U's shifted in it's first 3 months? 2012 was a stunning launch for it. 2013 was the kicker they really needed something to show off against the unveilings of the XB1 and PS4, but that's for another post.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

bubblegamer said:
XanderXT said:

No, what you basically said was that everyone knows that the PSVita is better than the 3DS. I'm just saying that not many people will agree with that statement.

And i'm saying people disagreeing with it don't make the Vita worse.

Sorry for misunderstanding you then.

Around the Network
Nem said:
I have both the 3DS and the Vita and i agree with him. The 3DS definitly has great games, but the Vita has a very distinct feel to it due to beeing able to offer more types of experiences on the go. For example, a hack and slash like Ninja gaiden is not something you see on the 3DS, a shooter like Borderlands 2, is definitly singular on handhelds, fighting games like MK and Injustice, musou games, etc.

The 3DS definitly has the charm, but when it comes to actually playing games, the Vita is more confortable and has a wider portfolio on offer. I think i have about 3 games that i didnt resell on the 3DS and my Vita library is about 8. I will be getting the new pokemon and zelda soonish, but overall i'm pleased with the Vita. I will be even more pleased if support keeps on going next year.

While I will agree 100 percent that playing Musou games on the vita is the best way to play them I just need to add (though I may just be tired and misunderstanding the way its said) that you can play musou games on the 3ds we got the sub series Samurai Warriors: Chronicles.  though the west only got the first game, but it did get a sequal in japan a while ago and its third entry is coming out there later this year I believe.

Yeah Samurai Chronicles 3 is out in December I believe. Though the Vita appears to be the lead platform for that game judging from the trailer footage

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Vita shows that tech alone doesn't help with mobile gaming. This combined with all the other failures like the disgusting choice for proprietary sd cards, Vita never had a real chance.

Sony may have a lot of the gaming community buying into their hype, but I continue to see no way whatsoever that they're backing it up these days. The games speak for themselves, and Nintendo's games right now are an exclamation mark while Sony's are a faint whisper. It's just too bad so many people still can't see past the hype. But it's OK, Sonys arrogance will come around to bite them in the butt eventually, just like what happened at the beginning of the PS3's life cycle when they were arrogantly thinking people would pay outrageous prices just for the brand name of Sony.

KylieDog said:
soony_xbone_U said:
RolStoppable said:
Now imagine how good the Vita would be if big game publishers actually made games for it.

PSP was rock solid. In terms of games and sales. I'm still not sure, what Sony did with the Vita, but they fucked it up

Didn't do anything, smartdevices killed Vita.  3DS didn't, that thing fighting for its life.  230m handheld sales last gen...where they go?  Not even gonna reach 100m this gen.

When it comes to acknowledging the truth about what's happening to the handheld business and what smartphones have done to it, I find this board is more comfortable living in denial about it: