By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony get too cocky not matching the Xbone's price drop this holiday season?

KLAMarine said:
withdreday said:
chapset said:
did you see the weekly sales?

Yep, the PS4 got outsold in the US just as expected after the price drop but it still nudged out a win worldwide.

That's good, but not something that will help the PS4 have PS2 like dominantance which, imo is what the industry needs.

No, the industry needs competition like any other industry.

On one hand, I agree. Hardware, price and services improve that way. On the other hand, best games on each platforms have always been exclusives, and multiplats were always far from as polished. A dominant platform means less multiplats and more exclusives to me, which in turn means better games.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network
sabastian said:
If your product is constantly outselling the other guys, month after month after month for an entire year,
Even with them bundling in Madden,
and Destiny
and Forza,
and with a $50 price cut,
and with them taking out Kinect,
and with them bundling in AC:Unity.

If they still cannot match your product in units sold, then why the hell would you lower the price of your product to match theirs ?

Sorry man, that just a silly question.

Wut? Sony bundled Destiny, not M$

man-bear-pig said:
sabastian said:
If your product is constantly outselling the other guys, month after month after month for an entire year,
Even with them bundling in Madden,
and Destiny
and Forza,
and with a $50 price cut,
and with them taking out Kinect,
and with them bundling in AC:Unity.

If they still cannot match your product in units sold, then why the hell would you lower the price of your product to match theirs ?

Sorry man, that just a silly question.

Wut? Sony bundled Destiny, not M$

MS bundled it as well only not "Officially". Like Sony did with FIFA. Plus MS held the free game promo the same week as Destiny in the US.

Sony hasn't touched the price of its' console since launch. They are going to have a massive holiday regardless. Next Xmas season we'll probably see a $299 PS4.

Edited*

Mr Puggsly said:

I doubt MS is sacrificing the kind of money on X1 Sony sacrificed on PS3. Sony was losing hundred of dollars on each unit sold and had to do price cuts almost year after year.

They were losing billions even while PS2 and PSP were selling in droves.

That's true, but MS sacrificed billions to buy Minecrfat.

I think X1 is likely losing money for them due to: $50 cut + bundled 3rd party games + generous trade-in offers + buying off exclusive games.  However, due to the fairly "low" sales, losing $100 per-console for X1 is less hurtful than it would be for Sony.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

They are doing the right thing. They will making much more money than MS will be from Xbox during the holidays, and profit is more important than marketshare.

Not to mention they wont be losing any actual marketshare either

Even with everything MS has done, they still couldnt top PS4 while Sony is doing absolutely nothing. Cant imagine what next year will be like when first PS4 price cut hits r with UC4 in the holidays and other AAA exclusives

DialgaMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Again, I think this is the first generation where people are surprised a console manufacturer is losing money early on.

Money is one of MS's strength and they are taking advantage of it. In past generations money was a strength of Sony as well and that gave them an edge.

Selling at a loss in the begining has only really ever been common with Sony. Microsoft never once sold the 360 at loss, nor did they ever sell the original Xbox at a loss. Yes, Microsoft has money, but they've never been a company known for losing money on a product for too long before they just give up and end it (Zune, anyone?). It's kindof why they have all that money to begin with. I guarentee that they're not going to accept losing all this money for long if it continues to yield only decent results at best. Let's not forget that the PS4 STILL outsold XBone WW this past week despite XBone having so much favor. Right now, they're more or less capturing the impulse buyers who taking advantage of the temporary price drop. One the price goes back up after the holidays and CoD dust settles, they'll be right back to being far behind PS4. 

Sony doesn't have to worry about money right now because the PS4 is still beasting as it has stood all year long, so they're still making money. 

You assume MS never sold the 360 at a loss, I doubt that's true. It was a very powerful and reasonably priced console at launch.

Use your head, you know there are plenty of things MS funded for many years without seeing a profit. They dropped Zune and put their focus on Windows Phones and Tablets. The iPod lost relevance as Apple put their focus on other products. But how is the Playstation Vita doing? Sony is still pouring money into that, right?

As the X1 userbase grows it becomes more financially worthwhile. Just like with 360 and PS3, they were losing billions of dollars but arguably became financially worthwhile later on. Fortunately for MS I don't believe X1 is losing PS3 or 360 levels of money.

PS4 is making money but not Sony. So they can't throw money around to stop competition from thriving like they've done in the past.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ICStats said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I doubt MS is sacrificing the kind of money on X1 Sony sacrificed on PS3. Sony was losing hundred of dollars on each unit sold and had to do price cuts almost year after year.

They were losing billions even while PS2 and PSP were selling in droves.

That's true, but MS sacrificed billions to buy Minecrfat.

I think X1 is likely losing money for them due to: $50 cut + bundled 3rd party games + generous trade-in offers + buying off exclusive games.  However, due to the fairly "low" sales, losing $100 per-console for X1 is less hurtful than it would be for Sony.

They didn't sacrifice billions, they invested billions! Its a top selling game on Playstation platforms!

I'm sure MS is sacrificing money on the price and game bundles. But I don't believe its the kind of money Sony lost on PS3 or MS lost on 360 hardware issues.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

As MS said, this is not a sprint, this is a marathon... so we will see what Sony's next move is... Usually a price drop is responded with by a price drop, whoever does it first...

And yeah, so far Sony had reasons to think that no matter what, people just wanted PS4s and they did not want XB1... in a sense the current pricing/agressive bundling makes the whole console power discussion a bit more complicated, yes the XB1 is a compromise in therms of performance, but it also cost you less up front and depending on the bundle you get you can get a few games with it RIGHT away.

Plus they have MCC releasing this month, my guess is that MCC combined with the price drop you get many people who may not have bothered with only one or the other to jump in.

But hey after what Destiny did, all the good press MS got over the last couple of months, etc. and the sales were still better on PS4, even I was thinking they were un beatable... The thing is, many people are on the fence, so a significant price difference can sway a lot of people, and the timing is great too because this is the holiday shopping season, so the effects are much bigger than in the summer months!

Week one of the drop is up. Sony still sold more.