By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

S.T.A.G.E. said:
This probably explains why Nintendo have such issues with third party.

What does the discussion has to do with third-party on Nintendo?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
Miyamoto just confirms what we've all been saying for a long time, he makes games for children, not adults. Knowing that makes you understand his views, which is why he wishes there were children in the room.

Pikmin can't be enjoyed by adults?

Drakrami said:
Yet, one of the best games of our generation, thelastofus, was inspired by the movie No Country for Old Men

Some would argue TLoU was 'Children of Men' with zombies.

bubblegamer said:
No wonder Nintendo is suffering so terribly lately. So many close minded people in charge of it!

That has nothing to do with Miyamoto and his games. It wasn't his fault the Wii U was marketed so poorly. It wasn't his fault that third parties abandoned the Wii U. Also, most games NIntendo releases aren't even his games. I must also point out that Nintendo's games tend to have a high attach rate and have fewer games sold on the second hand market than most publishers. So they must be doing something right.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Zekkyou said:

A surprisingly small minded view coming from someone so creative.

What was the small minded view exactly?

Around the Network

A lot of knee-jerk reactions by people who apparently didn't read the interview. It's very important to note that Shiggy never at any time says or even implies that there's nothing to be learned from film. This is conjecture from the interviewer.

What he's really saying is that video games are an interactive medium and therefore cannot rely on the same methods to tell a story as film. Focus on making a game "cinematic" is dangerous because the moment you take control away from the player, you're risking losing the unique capability that video games have as a medium. According to Miyamoto, the player should always be interacting with the game in some way. The player should be experiencing a story, not being told a story. That's just his design philosophy. He's not arrogantly declaring some standard for what games should or shouldn't be. He's just sharing his personal approach to games and doing some lamenting on trends.

And for every Sticker Star that detractors want to use to "prove" that Miyamoto hates stories, there's 3 Mothers.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Shadow of the Colossus told a frantic story of love and desperation on par with movies without a script. Sony Japan for you Miyamoto. Sony learned to how to tell a story using gameplay. Don't know anything about that?

And if you read what he said, that is something he can like. He don't want a story with gameplay as an afterthought, but he wants gameplay as the central part of the experience. So basically I see nothing he said against SotC, in the contrary.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yes the be-in experience is exclusive to Games (and books) not to movies however, no many games this generation has achieved so... not even mario3D world had that magic that Galaxy had!

So Ninty and Mya... bring the magic back!

Switch!!!

LOL
A lot of people who didnt read the article. Also shows a hell of a lot of anti-Nintendo in this thread.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Mnementh said:
Wright said:

That, I don't agree. Anyone can learn something from anything. Especially an art form from a different art form.

I don't see the quote from the title in the article itself. What Miyamoto is actually quoted with is more different, he feels it is a problem that gamemakers focus on story before gameplay.

Yeah, I just read the misleading headline. After some replies, I read the rest of the article, to my surprise.