By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

This probably explains why Nintendo have such issues with third party.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

There are a hell of a lost more Mario based games than Zelda based games from Nintendo.  In terms of complex characters and storytelling, I don't see all that much diversity.  Also, I said nothing about cinematic games, as I'm not really sure what that means, but I did give several examples of games with excellent storytelling and gameplay, which I'll take over game-play alone any day of the week.  A lot of people in this thread seem to be trying to build a false dichotomy, where you can only have a good narrative with interesting characters OR you can have solid game-play.  That is obviously not true and many, many games exist as proof.

You're right, many games prove that you can have both a good narrative and solid gameplay, and many of them are Nintendo games.

I don't see why it matters how many Mario games Nintendo makes. EA releases 6+ sports games every year, they have no narrative at all. Yet even though by your logic I would conclude that the "typical" EA game is devoid of soul and having no depth, you use Mass Effect and Dragon Age as examples of great storytelling with great gameplay. You mention Valkyria Chronicles even though it is made by Sega, who shits out another lousy Sonic game every year and little else.

Don't use Mario as an excuse to dismiss Metroid, Zelda, Mother, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, and other games I haven't even played and you probably haven't either.

Games can definitely take a lot from movies, but the current way they're going about it doesn't do much for me. You can craft a rich story that touches peoples hearts, but tell it primarily through gameplay, I say. I'm not a big fan of this Gameplay > cutscene > gameplay > cutscene stuff we have going on. In my experience, all cutscenes manage to do is break you out of the game world and create a disconnect between yourself and the characters on screen in a forced attempt to feed you plot development. It also invites comparisons with actual movies, and videogames 99 times out of 100 fall drastically short in basically every single field regarding storytelling, character development, and acting when compared to any decent film.

This is the 8th gen, for crying out loud! Surely we're past the point where we should have cast off the shackles of non-player controlled cutscenes once and for all! Create a fully immersive world, where the player himself feels like his actions have meaning -- true meaning, not the artificial nonsense that we've been putting up with for so many years.

sundin13 said:
Ljink96 said:
However, people are looking more and more to find other ways of experiencing stories other than film.

I think that is sort of the point. As extra credits said "movies will always be better at being cinematic than games" but that doesn't mean games should stay away from story. It just means that games should lean on their own strengths instead of piggybacking off of a more establish medium. Ignoring all of the wonderful tools that you are given with games, like the ability to put the player within the story, is disappointing, and whenever I play a game that feels the need to make me a passive observer in a story, instead of feeling like a part of the world, I am disappointed. 

“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”

Miyamoto wants games that put players in the world, and while he doesn't personally trend towards making heavily cinematic experiences, I don't believe that he wants us to do away with them. Developers just need to use the tools they have been given instead of trying to make the square peg (cinema) fit into the round hole (games). 

Narrative and gameplay can be mixed to great effect as long as the developer remembers that is making a game and not a movie. Extra Credits have mentioned a few things about story in games: a) Often the director of the story wishes they were making cinema and b) Writing and gameplay creation are two separate things, which need more interplay to create a strongly interwoven story.

I understand this but it seems like Nintendo has tried to downplay intense narratives. Eiji Aonuma is trying to at least understand that narrative can be just as important as gameplay if you know what you're doing with it. I don't know. I don't know Miyamoto on a social level so it is impossible to always know what he's saying directly. I understand that gaming and film are their own seperate entities but saying that one can't influence the other is a bit too radical. Considering that not many games based on film ever do well impactfully or saleswise, I see where he's coming from at least.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly but it's kinda 3rd parties having an issue with Nintendo right now.  They don't have enough power to make games that play like movies.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly but it's kinda 3rd parties having an issue with Nintendo right now.  They don't have enough power to make games that play like movies.

Back when Nintendo had power and there wasnt formidable competition Nintendo had all of the power and had to live within Nintendo's rules. Once competition game and stepped up the game with rivaling formats Nintendo became a non issue. Its not about the gameplaying like a movie, but rather what the games creators imagined it to be. Sometimes peoples ideas go beyond what Nintendo deems to be adequate hardware. The west and the east are today proving how far behind Nintendo has always been in that respect.

Think of it this way....

In capitalist competiton companies must work to impress the people with price, value and numerous of other qualities to maximize their sales potential and audience. If a company has a monopoly will they listen to the people? Chances are high that they wont because lack of competition compels them not to do anything. This is Nintendo and for better or worse their attitude has not changed. If third parties work with them...they must be beneath them. Hell...they  still would've had Rare as well.

Third parties are like the sea of people who run things now. There are a wealth of them who can choose who they want to work with now because the competition is split between four platforms. Nintendo has to learn to adapt.

Miyamoto might want to get away from movies and media, but his games (and disney's fleet) were inspired by the likes of Popeye, and Disney, so in essence he's full of shit. His issue is a generational one, which quickly needs to be remedied as hes and Nintendo have forced their loyal following Nintendo between a rock and a hard place to shop twice for their favorite third party and first party. Think about it. Sony and Microsoft gamers who like the respective company's first party can be content with one console. With Nintendo for outsiders not loyal, they've forced themselves to secondary position because of it.

I will take a game over a cinematic experience 9 times out of 10.

BTW, I dont think Miyamoto was sounding arrogant. He was being very fair to other companies.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

He's right, why do you think sandbox games are so popular? Because you make your own story, not one from crappy writers.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Ljink96 said:

I understand this but it seems like Nintendo has tried to downplay intense narratives. Eiji Aonuma is trying to at least understand that narrative can be just as important as gameplay if you know what you're doing with it. I don't know. I don't know Miyamoto on a social level so it is impossible to always know what he's saying directly. I understand that gaming and film are their own seperate entities but saying that one can't influence the other is a bit too radical. Considering that not many games based on film ever do well impactfully or saleswise, I see where he's coming from at least.

I think trying to learn things from cinema will create more problems than it will solve. We shouldn't be looking to movies to solve any of our problems...general story telling rules maybe, but cinema specifically? No, we should be finding our own path to the solution that will result in better stories, better worked into better games. I think there is a big problem with game creators and fans looking at movies as a goal that gaming is striving towards and I'm glad that there is some backlash against that, even if that backlash is dismissed as "arrogant" or "close minded" as some people (not you) are trying to make it out to be. Its sad that this thread had to become "lets all attack Miyamoto and Nintendo for some reason" instead of being an actual debate about story telling in games...

Maraccuda said:
I will take a game over a cinematic experience 9 times out of 10.

BTW, I dont think Miyamoto was sounding arrogant. He was being very fair to other companies.

It's the title of the article that is misleading and I suspect some people in this thread just jumped in with both feet.

Here, have a Kirby. He's having a drink because sometimes he just needs one.