By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Plenty of Nintendo games have a fairly deep narrative.

Hyrule Warriors, pretty much all recent Zelda console games, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising, hell even Metroid have a storyline/cinematics all over the place.

So it's not like Miyamoto speaks for all of Nintendo.

But I understand what Miyamoto is saying, he's saying the game designer should approach game development with the idea that they are making a game ... not some "head in the clouds" concept of "I've always wanted to make a Hollywood movie, so I'll make that and just squeeze a game in around it".

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Maraccuda said:
I will take a game over a cinematic experience 9 times out of 10.

BTW, I dont think Miyamoto was sounding arrogant. He was being very fair to other companies.

It's the title of the article that is misleading and I suspect some people in this thread just jumped in with both feet.

Here, have a Kirby. He's having a drink because sometimes he just needs one.

Perhaps you are right. The title is a lot more hateful than the actual interview.

Daaw, even cute little Kirby needs a stiff drink.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Hyrule Warriors, pretty much all recent Zelda console games, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising, hell even Metroid have a storyline/cinematics all over the place.

But I understand what Miyamoto is saying, he's saying the game designer should approach game development with the idea that they are making a game ... not some "head in the clouds" concept of "I've always wanted to make a Hollywood movie, so I'll make that and just squeeze a game in around it".

You know, if you call someone arrogant, it makes you arrogant. Even more so than the person you called arrogant. But I agree with him. I had more fun when I went crazy in GTA, and when I wasn't following the story.

Maraccuda said:
I will take a game over a cinematic experience 9 times out of 10.

BTW, I dont think Miyamoto was sounding arrogant. He was being very fair to other companies.

People don't seem to read beyond the thread title anymore.

Around the Network

Soundwave said:

Reminds me of The Order: 1886's developers.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/31/the-order-1886-graphics-over-gameplay/86901/

KLAMarine said:
hsrob said:
Teeqoz said:
KLAMarine said:
Teeqoz said:
Man, Miyamoto's arrogance continues to amaze me.

What of it was arrogant?

"What the other companies are doing makes business sense,” he says. “But it’s boring. The same games appear on every system."

Firstly I would encourage anyone who hasn't to actually read the full article, context is a wonderful thing.  Secondly people have to remember that these comments are all translated and no matter how good the translator, Asian languages are often very hard to translate well into English, subtlety is frequently a casualty.  Add to this the paraphrasing that occurs throughout the article and you have a recipe for miscontrued information.  For example the 'quote' that makes up the both title of this thread and the original article is actually nowhere to be found in the body of the article because that's not how he actually answered the question. He actually answered that question with:

“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”

As for the 'boring' quote, look at things from his perspective, he is a game designer, a creative person.  Why on earth would he want to make games like other people/companies, it would completely go against his very reason for being.  He's not saying those games are boring but to make games that fit the current, popular mold would be boring for him. 

Ask any one of the hundreds of game developers working on Assassin's Creed the same question and I think you would get a similar response.  Given the opportunity and choice do you suppose they would they rather work on another story-driven 'opus' or would they like to carve out a unique experience in their own vision?  I think I know what the majority would chose.

Thanks, that's a pretty big seal, I feel special :)

hsrob said:

Thanks, that's a pretty big seal, I feel special :)

You are among an elite few approved by Osaka! :)

I just read this on Neogaf, and the people there are way more respectful in the first 50 posts.