By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, implies that there isn't a big difference between Xbox and PS4

Ka-pi96 said:

You just don't get it do you?

3rd parties aren't going to make Wii U exclusives instead of multiplats because then they wouldn't make any money. The money is made by releasing multiplatform games NOT exclusives. Look at the top 3rd party games, they can sell over 10 million copies on just PS/Xbox combined. PC digital sales are probably really good as well. The Wii U hasn't even sold that many consoles!

You just don't get it that making money is the difference of sales and investment?

If you can sell 1 Mio. copies of an Wii U exclusive and having not so stellar costs - you have made money.

Its that easy.

And guess what - it works. There are indies making their lives being Wii U exclusive.

It works at larger scale too. Just don't expect those AAA titles with hit-or-die budgets. 

Oh BTW: many publisher did close their doors because of those budgets and not selling as expected on PS3 / 360...

Around the Network
Blob said:

That remains to be seen really....

And no there are not a lot of developers planning wii u exclusives after 300,000 sales. However im sure Nintendo is going to continue paying companies to make games that they themselves are not.

300,000 x 10 US$ per sale - 1,500,000 US$ development cost => 1,500,000 US$ earned.

100% ROI - no brainer besides having the idea WHAT to sell.

But let's be honest it would've sold way more on the big brothers, if nintendo wants to be back in business they should be less arrogance and ignorant and build a machine which could handle third party support and have a good line of first party support. Nintendo's exclusives are very good yet they want them to fail because they make a machine which is only for Nintendo and barely anything else.

If it's true that Bayo 2 would have sold so well on the other systems why didn't any 3rd party publisher decide to fund the game?  They all let the game almost die until Nintendo picked it up.

I said way more, on xbox an playstation not sell well for there terms, It would've sold around a million per platform. Why would Sony buy another hack and slash while they can make one. MS could've picked it up, but bayonetta is not the most lucrative franchise. For those companies bayonetta is just another third party title in an already huge library so why would they pick it up, while other projects would be way more lucrative then reviving an old franchise to barely  reak even. I am glad nintendo did, but from a business standpoint it was plain stupid, because 750k in sales wouldn't equal developing costs.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Ka-pi96 said:

Because it's cheaper to develop for Wii U? Nope, cheaper to develop for PC and then it's a fairly easy port to PS/Xbox from there. So that's wrong.

If you can sell 1 million on PS, 1 million on Xbox and 1 million on PC with not so stellar costs - you have made three times as much money!

There are indies making their living being exclusive to every console out there. Even the Ouya had some exclusive indie games, so that proves nothing.

Oh and BTW, those publishers would have sold even less on Wii and would have closed much sooner...

Oh sure. That "alien" Wii U hardware is so different from a - lets say 360 or a PC - that those extra costs far outweight the costs of creating everything for much powerful GPUs in 2-4 times of the model/texture resolution...

Bayonetta 1 must have been a real money maker on the PS3 utilizing those SPUs and using cheap state-of-the-art graphics when being developed...

Titles like Lego Batman 3, Planes Fire & Rescue, Just Dance, One Voice, PacMan Ghostly Adventure, Transformers Rise of Dark - just to name a few - those must be made by complete nuts not knowing that they will loose money by releasing them on the Wii U.

I have the strong feeling that those publishers and developers have some "secret sauce".

And nothing - nothing - hinders other developers to drench their ideas with that "secret sauce" and deliver a tasty unique blend on the Wii U.

Ka-pi96 said:
mine said:
Blob said:

That remains to be seen really....

And no there are not a lot of developers planning wii u exclusives after 300,000 sales. However im sure Nintendo is going to continue paying companies to make games that they themselves are not.

300,000 x 10 US$ per sale - 1,500,000 US$ development cost => 1,500,000 US$ earned.

100% ROI - no brainer besides having the idea WHAT to sell.

So the game only broke even. That's called a great investment now? Also, you forgot to factor in the advertising costs...

OK. OK. 100% profit - 200% ROI... but you could have seen that too...

10 US$ on a 50 US$ title is a VERY conservative calculation. 

The majority of developers would be happy being able to spent 1,500,000 US$ on R&D and advertising. They run on much lower budgets.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Maybe you should recheck what you actually wrote. You suggested the revenue was the EXACT same as the development cost. That means 0% profit. If they have the same amount of money now as they would have if they'd never spent out the 1.5m in the first place, then that is NOT a good investment.

Also, you are now claiming that the 1.5 million includes advertising as well. Where exactly did you get these figures you are suggesting, or did you just make them up yourself?

300,000 x 10 US$ = 3,000,000 US$ - 1,500,000 US$ development costs = 1,500,000 US$ profit

Thought you would have been able to calculate that yourself.

mine said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Maybe you should recheck what you actually wrote. You suggested the revenue was the EXACT same as the development cost. That means 0% profit. If they have the same amount of money now as they would have if they'd never spent out the 1.5m in the first place, then that is NOT a good investment.

Also, you are now claiming that the 1.5 million includes advertising as well. Where exactly did you get these figures you are suggesting, or did you just make them up yourself?

300,000 x 10 US$ = 3,000,000 US$ - 1,500,000 US$ development costs = 1,500,000 US$ profit

Bayonetta 2 will NOT stop at 300k sales.

FACT:

for EVERY game selling less than 1 Mio. copies on the Wii U there IS ALSO a game selling less than 1 Mio. copies on PS4 or XOne !!

That means: despite PS4 and XOne having a installed based TWICE as large together developers ARE FORCED to MULTIPLATFORM as PS4 and XOne gamers are NOT BUYING ENOUGH GAMES to VALIDATE AN EXCLUSIVE release.

Ouch. Truth hurts.

For over 90% of the titles PS4 and XOne offer the SAME EXPERIENCE as no developer can afford to leverage Kinect, Move or other console specific features to their full potential (which means being exclusive).

curl-6 said:
mine said:

Bayonetta 2 will NOT stop at 300k sales.

Of course not. As quality titles have legs on Nintendo consoles and there are not "so many" other "mature" titles available this christmas season. I think at least 20% of Mario Kart bundle and at least 50% of Smash bundle buyers will also buy a copy of Bayonetta 2...

My calculation was made up for a new title to be developed by any small developer. 

There are more than enough titles selling LESS than 300,000 copies on PS4 and XOne COMBINED. Every of those developers will take notice and think about releasing on Wii U where selling games is that much easier and development costs less...

mine said:
FACT:

for EVERY game selling less than 1 Mio. copies on the Wii U there IS ALSO a game selling less than 1 Mio. copies on PS4 or XOne !!

That means: despite PS4 and XOne having a installed based TWICE as large together developers ARE FORCED to MULTIPLATFORM as PS4 and XOne gamers are NOT BUYING ENOUGH GAMES to VALIDATE AN EXCLUSIVE release.

Ouch. Truth hurts.

For over 90% of the titles PS4 and XOne offer the SAME EXPERIENCE as no developer can afford to leverage Kinect, Move or other console specific features to their full potential (which means being exclusive).

Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Titanfall. All over 1 million while being console exclusive to Xbox One with Sunset Overdrive soon to be another. Not buying enough games?

Name me 1 3rd party game over 1 million for Wii U.