By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, implies that there isn't a big difference between Xbox and PS4

Ka-pi96 said:
mine said:

MiiVerse -> GamePad drawing (!!!)

Nintendoland -> GamePad, WiiMote & Nunchuck as FPS controller

Mario Kart 8 -> Steering Wheel

Wii U Fit -> Balance Board, Fit Meter

Super Mario World -> any Controller + GamePad

Art Academy -> GamePad drawing (!!! user drawings -> OMG !!!)

Wii Sports Club -> WiiMote+ . Best Tennis and Golf EVER !!

WindWaker HD -> GamePad used to switch between weapons (BIG advantage over the traditional controller) + Gyro-Controls in FP-mode

Wii U Panorama View -> GamePad immersion

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze -> horizontal WiiMote to feel like classic NES controller

Those are the games you are going to claim make the Wii U unique?

Mario Kart 8 steering wheel? People that like to use steering wheels use them for games like Forza and Gran Turismo as well, so that's already possible and has been done plenty of times on other consoles and PC.

Super Mario World, any controller + gamepad? I don't even get why that's a good thing. Most people would just pick one controller and stick with it, if it can be used with other controllers that they don't care about why would they even care? Smae for Donkey Kong, except in that case if people wanted the feel of a classic NES controller they could just... ya know... play a NES maybe?

Windwaker HD, a tiny gimmick control? Not to mention the PS4 can do this with its touchpad as well...

All the others... does anyone even care anymore? Judging from the huge drop in sales from Wii to Wii U... nope.

At lesst 7 million people care.

So the Wii U is not unique is what you are saying?

Around the Network

We all agree that x1 and ps4 is much more alike to each other than WiiU the only disagreement is that Nintendo fans pretend it is for good reasons and results while others know it have been bad to WiiU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Multishanks said:

The point he's making is that software - not hardware - makes unique games. You can use all gimmicks in the world, but unless software is good, it won't take you anywere. Just like the example of Mario Kart 8 steering wheel. People also uses steering wheel on Forza or Gran Turismo games, but if those games weren't good on their own, people wouldn't feel compelled to use it. Just like with Mario Kart 8.

Which takes us to the main point. If software is the one that makes unique games, shouldn't Nintendo strive to grab all the games they can get? First, Second and Third party. There shouldn't be the need for discrimination.

Reaction to this is baffling. PS4 and XB1 software libraries are like 90-95% identical and the specs are close enough that most devs are going for parity.

He's not wrong.

why people so salty? Yeah, we get it. Ps4 sales are great, X1 sales good. That's good... for Sony and Microsoft. But it don't change the fact that both share almost the same game library with a few exclusives. Get over it, stop mentioning sales on a gaming discussion

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
Wright said:
Multishanks said:

The point he's making is that software - not hardware - makes unique games. You can use all gimmicks in the world, but unless software is good, it won't take you anywere. Just like the example of Mario Kart 8 steering wheel. People also uses steering wheel on Forza or Gran Turismo games, but if those games weren't good on their own, people wouldn't feel compelled to use it. Just like with Mario Kart 8.

Which takes us to the main point. If software is the one that makes unique games, shouldn't Nintendo strive to grab all the games they can get? First, Second and Third party. There shouldn't be the need for discrimination.

I don´t think it´s about unique games per se but about creative ways to play and interact with games. So not the games itself but the way you play them. I also have to agree with Nintendos appraoch, better graphics just won´t do it for me anymore

mofili said:
Wright said:
Multishanks said:

I don´t think it´s about unique games per se but about creative ways to play and interact with games. So not the games itself but the way you play them. I also have to agree with Nintendos appraoch, better graphics just won´t do it for me anymore

I would to a degree, agree with this. Nintendo makes the innovations and then makes games for the innovations. There's only so many ways to change up how to play games with a dual shock. 

bigtakilla said:

I would to a degree, agree with this. Nintendo makes the innovations and then makes games for the innovations. There's only so many ways to change up how to play games with a dual shock. 

There are only so many ways to play a game with a gamepad as well, it's the very reason that 99% of the games on the Wii U, DS, and 3DS, Nintendo games included, use the bottom screen for nothing more than a second display like a map or a quick menu.

kupomogli said:
bigtakilla said:

There are only so many ways to play a game with a gamepad as well, it's the very reason that 99% of the games on the Wii U, DS, and 3DS, Nintendo games included, use the bottom screen for nothing more than a second display like a map or a quick menu.

Mostly yes, but not all.

kupomogli said:
bowserthedog said:

And even when they have exclusives it's largely similar gameplay experiences. Fortza versus drive club, Uncharted versus Tomb Raider, Killzone versus Halo.

You mean like how each different Nintendo console has largely similar experiences?  Mario Kart Wii vs MK7 vs MK8.  Mario Party 8 vs Mario Party 9 vs Mario Party 10.  New Super Mario Bros, vs NSMB Wii vs NSMB 2 vs NSMB U.  

bowserthedog said:

With Nintnedo you are getting many more exclusives and they are largely a different gameplay type of experience. Bayonetta, Wonderfull 101, Mario Kart, Mario 3d World, Splatoon, are a different gameplay type of experience. I don't know why people have such a hard time excepting this. It's the truth and there are advantages and disadvantages associated with it but it's a reality.  I guess people just have a hard time accepting that they are missing out on anything by going with only one console. It's the whole justifying a purchase thing.

This gen you're getting more exclusives with different gameplay right now.  The Wii U has been out for two years after all, and Sony no matter the console is slow to get on the ball.  Compare the Wii to the PS3 last gen.  The PS3 exclusives last gen had the widest variety of gameplay compared to the other two consoles.  You had games with various gameplay stytles.  The PS4 already has a wide variety of "exclusives" though already released, or release in the near future.  Exclusives you just happened to ignore in your small list of "versus" comparison.

We should end the thread on this post.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m