By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, implies that there isn't a big difference between Xbox and PS4

Ka-pi96 said:
bowserthedog said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah Nintendo probably won't lose any money on a 1st party title, but the risk is still there. Relying alot on 3rd party minimises that risk, it is the 3rd party companies that have to take the risk not Microsoft themselves.

Also... Xbox is actually quite profitable for Microsoft, so it being a loss leader is certainly not a fact. Sure overall it has made a loss, almost entirely because of the original Xbox and its associated costs. But the 360 has been consistently making a profit for Microsoft.

The articles i've read on the subject suggest that Microsoft lost billion on the xbox 360.

The original Xbox was nothing but loss. The 360 started out with quite a big loss but then has been making steady profit since 2008. Add 2013 and 2014 into that and the 360 has more than earned back any losses it accrued.

The thing that must also be understood is that this was a generation where xbox was competitive versus sony. They came out first, had a bunch of features sony needed to catch up on and were the leading platform in sales until the late stages. Despite this they had to lose billions for years to just break even by the very end. With Microsoft's strategy they basically have to hit a homerun in order to break even. When Nintendo hits a home run their streets are paved with gold and they basically crap money bags. When Nintendo strikes out they still turn a profit. From a business standpoint Nintendo seems to be correct in having the strategy they have since they are a small company relative to Microsoft and don't have other business elements propping them up if they would fail in gaming.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
mine said:
jlmurph2 said:

It tells that kids games sell on Nintendo consoles.

That "kids game" Bayonetta - didn't it sell on the Wii U as much as one 360 or PS3 while having a fraction of their installed hardware base?

Must be some sales clerks didn't do their job checking buyers age...

I didn't say Nintendo sells kids games on their consoles. I said kids games sell on Nintendo consoles. You were arguing Disney Infinity and Skylanders sell better to Wii U owners and now you're trying to flip it? lol

I know - it is really hard to understand that only unique experiences sell well on Nintendo hardware as it is exactly why Nintendo is designing their hardware and games they way they are.

Sales numbers of "flops" like Wii Music (> 3 Mio. worldwide) - 90% of developers would be more than happy to have those.

Multi platform titles which didn't sell well (AC3, Deus Ex, Mass Effect 3..) - those are exactly the kind of "grown up" titles which are not offering anything significant of unique gameplay experience and value on the Wii U. Exactly what I am and Reggie are saying.

Sorry for Ubi - but WatchDogs will prove that again. Red Steel 2 offered a great experience not being seen anyway else and before but suffered from the Wii being hacked. A Red Steel 3 would have been a much better investment in case Nintendo doesn't bundle a digital download for WatchDogs this christmas season...

jlmurph2 said:
mine said:
pokoko said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  That doesn't even make any sense and it's certainly not a "fact".  It sounds silly and made up.

I also don't care if you don't think anything that isn't made by Nintendo has any value.  That's personal opinion and fine with me.  Heck, I wouldn't pay $5 for another Mario platformer even if I owned a Wii U.

Actually, nothing you said has much to do with anything.

Of course it is made up. As it makes no sense. 

It also makes no sense not to release great games on the Wii U if they offer unique experiences no where seen else.

Bayonetta 2 proves that there is an audience for "grown up" games. 

The developers just have to make sure their costs are not running wild.

Bayonetta 2 is selling what its selling because of exclusive hype.

It's selling because it's a great game and it's an exclusive. A lot of gamers who like M rated games own a wiiu they just also own others systems so mature games need to be exclusive to sell well on wiiu. This is where I think Reggie and I are not on the same page. The controller is not a selling feature on the wiiu. The reason the system will make money, the reason anybody buys it is because it has a bunch of great exclusives games and laregly these games are quite different in style to what is available on ps4 and xbox one. But there's really nothing exciting or worthwhile about the hardware. The only positive about it is that because it's weaker they can sell it for cheaper than their competitors which makes it more digestable as a second system.  I think that Nintendo would have been better off launching it with the gamepad pro and putting another 50 to 60 bucks into horsepower to make theirs games even better and make it cheaper and easier for 3rd parties to port their games over.

jlmurph2 said:
mine said:

It also makes no sense not to release great games on the Wii U if they offer unique experiences no where seen else.

Bayonetta 2 offers a unique gameplay experience. And if unique is because of the used input devices - of which the Wii U has many to offer - then those titles would be "exclusive" by design.

So it is just a matter which scenario the gameplay is wrapped in. The audience for all kinds of scenarios is on the Wii U. 

Just read Nintendos latest financial supplementary statements to get a broad view on Nintendos customers.

Well they differ more from the WII U then from eachother that is for sure, yet both consoles are more appealing products for most gamers the the WII U, so maybe that is not such a bad thing for them.
Reggie is trolling though I want more diverse exclusives, Nintendo will release 3 extra 2s platformers in 2015 more, Sony´s offer is as usually (Sandbox, LBP, Action adventure, Racing, FPS, Platform, next year TPS, RPG and 3d platformer) way more diverse than Nintendo, which could almost call itself platformtendo by now.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
mine said:
pokoko said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  That doesn't even make any sense and it's certainly not a "fact".  It sounds silly and made up.

I also don't care if you don't think anything that isn't made by Nintendo has any value.  That's personal opinion and fine with me.  Heck, I wouldn't pay $5 for another Mario platformer even if I owned a Wii U.

But let's be honest it would've sold way more on the big brothers, if nintendo wants to be back in business they should be less arrogance and ignorant and build a machine which could handle third party support and have a good line of first party support. Nintendo's exclusives are very good yet they want them to fail because they make a machine which is only for Nintendo and barely anything else.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

bowserthedog said:
jlmurph2 said:
mine said:

It's selling because it's a great game and it's an exclusive. A lot of gamers who like M rated games own a wiiu they just also own others systems so mature games need to be exclusive to sell well on wiiu. This is where I think Reggie and I are not on the same page. The controller is not a selling feature on the wiiu. The reason the system will make money, the reason anybody buys it is because it has a bunch of great exclusives games and laregly these games are quite different in style to what is available on ps4 and xbox one. But there's really nothing exciting or worthwhile about the hardware. The only positive about it is that because it's weaker they can sell it for cheaper than their competitors which makes it more digestable as a second system.  I think that Nintendo would have been better off launching it with the gamepad pro and putting another 50 to 60 bucks into horsepower to make theirs games even better and make it cheaper and easier for 3rd parties to port their games over.

Being a good 2nd console is not a good thing. A great amount of gamers can only afford 1. And when they choose they want the console that gives them quantity, quality and variety. 

Qwark said:
jlmurph2 said:
mine said:
pokoko said:

But let's be honest it would've sold way more on the big brothers, if nintendo wants to be back in business they should be less arrogance and ignorant and build a machine which could handle third party support and have a good line of first party support. Nintendo's exclusives are very good yet they want them to fail because they make a machine which is only for Nintendo and barely anything else.

If it's true that Bayo 2 would have sold so well on the other systems why didn't any 3rd party publisher decide to fund the game?  They all let the game almost die until Nintendo picked it up.

mine said:
jlmurph2 said:

Bayonetta 2 offers a unique gameplay experience. And if unique is because of the used input devices - of which the Wii U has many to offer - then those titles would be "exclusive" by design.

So it is just a matter which scenario the gameplay is wrapped in. The audience for all kinds of scenarios is on the Wii U. 

Just read Nintendos latest financial supplementary statements to get a broad view on Nintendos customers.

Its "unique" because its exclusive! If Bayonetta 2 was a multiplat they wouldn't give one care about Wii U's input devices. They would be able to release the game way earlier and not waste so much time on catering to the entitled Wii U owner.  

jlmurph2 said:
bowserthedog said:
jlmurph2 said:
mine said:

Being a good 2nd console is not a good thing. A great amount of gamers can only afford 1. And when they choose they want the console that gives them quantity, quality and variety. 

I think for Nintendo it's a good thing right now to be that second system. Last gen around 50% of console gamers had more than one system. Until Sony and Microsoft are done with a business model of losing piles of money on the front end of a generation in order to hopefully break even or make some profit later on I don't think it's wise for a smaller company like Nintendo to compete directly. For Nintendo that could be like commiting "Hari Sega" a form of "Segguku".