By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Can Nintendo Do To Appeal To The West?

D2K said:
Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I don't much care what they use, I doubt I'd really see much if any difference anyways. I'm just thinking going for whatever is easiest to port to would be best. Right now pretty much every 3rd part game is a PC/PS/Xbox multiplat by default, if Nintendo consoles were similar to PC and very easy to port to then there's no reason they couldn't be one of the default platforms for all games as well.

Porting difficulty isn't much about the processor-architecture. OK, something really exotic might be problematic, but PowerPC, ARM and x86 all have good compiler-support. So the porting difficulty because of CPU is nearly irrelevant.

Porting from PPc to x86 is not an issue, but porting from x86 to PPc is and issue because x86 uses far more memory than PPc does.  For instance Rayman Legends was built from the ground up on the Wii U and was easily ported to the XB1 and PS4.  Wii U multiplats are either games built from the ground up, or ports from thr 360 version which also uses PPc and has a tri-core processor.

The ARM processor in the Wii U is used only for the OS.  The Tri-Core PowerPC750 and DSP sound module are for game use.  The way PPc and x86 use system resources is totally different and it is not easy to port which is why most 3rd parties don't bother. 

What? No, they way PPC and x86 use resources aren't completely different. Where do you get this stuff? Why should x86 burn up more memory, how do you get this idea?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

1. Those games don't do much...yes even Monster Hunter sells like shit in the west.  That is what this thread is about, how to appeal to the WEST, I think you've lost sight of that.  Third parties like CoD, sports titles, AC etc would have more of an affect than Monster Hunter and Pheonix Wright.

2. Yes it was, Kojima said so himself. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/metal-gear-solid-4-too-enormous-for-xbox-360

3. Stop ignoring the fact that it is not a system selling feature, no one is gonna run out and buy a Wii U for the eshop...

1. Monster Hunter has no real establishment in the west, it has, however, consistently exceeded expectations but there is no real nurturing of the series in the west which is moreado with Capcom's complacency than anything. And I have not lost sight of anything, I explicitly stated that Nintendo would be better off just investing in their own western developers than trying to conform to AAA. Otherwise, titles like Fantasy Life, Tomodachi, Bravely and so on, have all done very well in the west.

2. Didn't know that. Fine, one title out of the many, many cross system ports of the last gen. Congrats? Meanwhile FFXIII wasn't hampered nor were the many, many cross system ports back in the NGC/PS2 era.

3. But it supposedly counts when its on the PS4... (Nor did I ever say it was a reason to run out and buy one, but it more than readily supports people who have bought one with a constant stream of games that you seem to pretend don't exist... the point is that the system does have AA and third party developers, they just don't have astronomical budgets or hype machine marketting.)

Nintendo and the WiiU lack two things: big budget AAA-hype games of derivative sports/shooters. If Nintendo wanted those, they'd be better off striking specific deals or getting their own developers (Splatoon) making something that suits their player base, not chasing after Godot in some ill-placed hopes of attracting a playerbase that already has a home and no interest in "kiddie Nintendo". As I said, the whole prospect is a fool's gambit and a loser's wager. (There's also the fact that most titles that encroach on Nintendo's own strong suits will get utterly crushed under foot in sales as the fanbase has no reason to buy what will likely not be anywhere near as polished a game. A lot of developers don't want to compete against Nintendo's first party.)

They won't compete on power (tried and failed), they won't use inefficient x86 (as that severely cripples mobility), and they won't do 250W TDP. Also, unless Nintendo made a console using Jaguar, these discussions of "easier ports" are folly and moot. Just because a chip is x86 doesn't make the developers experts or ports magically super-easy. A Haswell developer has to still learn the ins and outs of the Jaguar chipsets, irregardless of their basic similarities. What developers in the AAA sphere want is homogenization because then there is no ROI. A lack of ROI is a crapshoot for the industry in and of itself because it just brings on even more inertia.

And this completely, and still, ignores the issue of that even the similar PPC overlaps with X360 and WiiU don't seem to matter either when it comes to ports. Switching to x86 won't change the fact that studios/publishers don't want to expand the man-hours (and there will always be a man-hours issue) for titles that will not sell on the console.

They need to make an affordable and accessible console, also they need a competitive online shooter -Splatoon is a start but they need something more in the vein of Smash Bros- and a PokeMMORPG.

Without having read every post until here:

I guess they can do only one thing - nothing.

The 3rds would not even jump on the Nintendo console if it has the same specs as their competition.

Nintendo has to grow enormously and do everything on their own without having regularly games droughts.
From the games point of view.
They need Shooters (as Call of Duty or Battlefield) and Action games (as Assasins Creed) with online-coop and achievements.
They need some RPG as epic as Skyrim and racing "sims" as GT or Forza.

The main thing is, i guess, that most of the western gamers have a need for realistic graphics. With "realistic" I just mean not-cartoony not too colourful in this case.

And from these games they need a lot ... like 3rds are delivering to any other console.

I think Bayonetta 2, even though i will not buy it, is a step into the right direction. According to what i learned due to different boards(forums sounds strange and probably is completely wrong^^) ,Bayo2 seems to be a reason for some people to buy a WiiU.
They simply need much more of these games.

People may think:
I dont buy a WiiU for only 3D Mario.
I dont buy a WiiU for only SmashBros.
I dont buy a WiiU for only Mariokart.
I dont buy a WiiU for only Bayo2.
I dont buy a WiiU for only Xenoblade.
But if they say it 10 or 15 times, they will buy WiiU, because they now they then have 10-15 games which they want to play.

Without wanting to insult someone - neither here on the board nor someone else on any other gaming board - but people saying "i want 10 games for a console, but this is too little for me - i am not going to buy the console for "only" 10 games" are very very strange.
If you can get the console for just 200 bucks or so it is compared to the money you have to spent for the 10 games (lets say 10 games each 50, which means 500 bucks in total), not very much.

The bad side is: I guess not only a few nintendo fans would not buy these "western" games.
I dont like Shooters, I dont like just Action, I dont like racing sims.
I prefer coloured games (would never ever buy such brown-grey stuff) with fantasy and just an nice friendly world.
I dont want to conclude from my taste to other gamers, but i guess this is like being the exact opposite. Western games Nintendo games.
I would love to see some skyrim like rpg for WiiU but a bit more colourful and less realistic looking.
But western gamer probably would not like it simply by its look.

They should not try to copy western games, they just should make the games they make, but with an drastically increasing output, for which Nintendo needs much more employees.

Even if Nintendo will be 3rd place in console war forever from this gen on, I just want them to make the game we, the nintendo fans, like and love. I want them to survive and they will do for sure.
If they are going too much into western games neglecting their typical "Nintendo" games they will loose their loyal fanbase and are unlikely to get a new bigger fanbase of western gamers without ultra expensive commitment, as these are completely into PS and XBox consoles.

LOL make games for adults. I know I will piss a lot of people off by saying that, but that's the truth. The Last of Us is deals with mature themes and complex subjects that people who have grown up, hunger for. I may love Paper Mario, but I need something more complex too.

Around the Network
Vena said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

1. Those games don't do much...yes even Monster Hunter sells like shit in the west.  That is what this thread is about, how to appeal to the WEST, I think you've lost sight of that.  Third parties like CoD, sports titles, AC etc would have more of an affect than Monster Hunter and Pheonix Wright.

2. Yes it was, Kojima said so himself. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/metal-gear-solid-4-too-enormous-for-xbox-360

3. Stop ignoring the fact that it is not a system selling feature, no one is gonna run out and buy a Wii U for the eshop...

1. Monster Hunter has no real establishment in the west, it has, however, consistently exceeded expectations but there is no real nurturing of the series in the west which is moreado with Capcom's complacency than anything. And I have not lost sight of anything, I explicitly stated that Nintendo would be better off just investing in their own western developers than trying to conform to AAA. Otherwise, titles like Fantasy Life, Tomodachi, Bravely and so on, have all done very well in the west.

2. Didn't know that. Fine, one title out of the many, many cross system ports of the last gen. Congrats? Meanwhile FFXIII wasn't hampered nor were the many, many cross system ports back in the NGC/PS2 era.

3. But it supposedly counts when its on the PS4... (Nor did I ever say it was a reason to run out and buy one, but it more than readily supports people who have bought one with a constant stream of games that you seem to pretend don't exist... the point is that the system does have AA and third party developers, they just don't have astronomical budgets or hype machine marketting.)

Nintendo and the WiiU lack two things: big budget AAA-hype games of derivative sports/shooters. If Nintendo wanted those, they'd be better off striking specific deals or getting their own developers (Splatoon) making something that suits their player base, not chasing after Godot in some ill-placed hopes of attracting a playerbase that already has a home and no interest in "kiddie Nintendo". As I said, the whole prospect is a fool's gambit and a loser's wager. (There's also the fact that most titles that encroach on Nintendo's own strong suits will get utterly crushed under foot in sales as the fanbase has no reason to buy what will likely not be anywhere near as polished a game. A lot of developers don't want to compete against Nintendo's first party.)

They won't compete on power (tried and failed), they won't use inefficient x86 (as that severely cripples mobility), and they won't do 250W TDP. Also, unless Nintendo made a console using Jaguar, these discussions of "easier ports" are folly and moot. Just because a chip is x86 doesn't make the developers experts or ports magically super-easy. A Haswell developer has to still learn the ins and outs of the Jaguar chipsets, irregardless of their basic similarities. What developers in the AAA sphere want is homogenization because then there is no ROI. A lack of ROI is a crapshoot for the industry in and of itself because it just brings on even more inertia.

And this completely, and still, ignores the issue of that even the similar PPC overlaps with X360 and WiiU don't seem to matter either when it comes to ports. Switching to x86 won't change the fact that studios/publishers don't want to expand the man-hours (and there will always be a man-hours issue) for titles that will not sell on the console.

@ bold #1-you seem to think its easy to just open your own development studios and make AAA games.  Its not, even if they invest in western studios there is no guarantee that those games will even turn out good, its costly and a huge risk.  You wanna talk about a fool's gambit and a loser's wager, its exactly what your proposing.

@bold #2-No PS4's Playstation shop is not a big system seller either, it is as you said a nice feature for people that already own the console.  Having big AAA developers that actually sell your console is way more important.

If Nintendo wanted shooters/sports games they would not be better off stricking deals with developers, you wanna know why?  No FPS they make will be bigger than Cod, no soccer game they make will be bigger than Fifa.  Its not about getting games that appeal to Nintendo fans, its about getting a wide variety of games that appeals to a wider audience.  Why do you think they got Bayonetta 2?  That is the complete opposite kinda game that appeals to NIntendo fans.  Just appealing to Nintendo fans obviously isn't working, the Wii U is bombing hard.

The situation I'm proposing is not like the GC, but lets say it was, I'm sure Nintendo would be killing for GC sales right about now cause that's how bad the Wii U is selling, that's now bad their current system of ignoring third party developers is doing.  The only way they can still sell systems and ignore third parties is to come out with something so revolutionary that everyone has to try it (the Wii) which is rare and probably won't happen again.

Captain_Tom said:
LOL make games for adults. I know I will piss a lot of people off by saying that, but that's the truth. The Last of Us is deals with mature themes and complex subjects that people who have grown up, hunger for. I may love Paper Mario, but I need something more complex too.

I shouldn't respond to this, I'm only taking the bait, but how can I resist! I'll try and do it diplomatically.

You really think that people play supposedly "adult" games for the mature themes and complex subjects. Get out! That's just a front. People play these games because society tells them to play these games. It's funny that you use "The Last of Us" as your example because that's like the only big game that really works. Don't talk to me about GTA V's "mature themes" and "complex subjects" for example because I don't even want to hear it. It's maturity in the most immature sense. Would you call Call of Duty an "games for adults"? Assassin's Creed? I certainly wouldn't for many, many reasons. Yet those are the games that sell systems.

The problem is obvious! It's got nothing to do with adult games. It's because Nintendo consoles don't have enough Western multiplats (and when they do they're rushed inferior versions) or indeed Western games in general.

EDIT: I don't presume to talk for your motives to play games like The Last Of Us, but I'm just talking about the average person who plays video games.

Cream147 said:
Captain_Tom said:

I shouldn't respond to this, I'm only taking the bait, but how can I resist! I'll try and do it diplomatically.

You really think that people play supposedly "adult" games for the mature themes and complex subjects. Get out! That's just a front. People play these games because society tells them to play these games. It's funny that you use "The Last of Us" as your example because that's like the only big game that really works. Don't talk to me about GTA V's "mature themes" and "complex subjects" for example because I don't even want to hear it. It's maturity in the most immature sense. Would you call Call of Duty an "games for adults"? Assassin's Creed? I certainly wouldn't for many, many reasons. Yet those are the games that sell systems.

The problem is obvious! It's got nothing to do with adult games. It's because Nintendo consoles don't have enough Western multiplats (and when they do they're rushed inferior versions) or indeed Western games in general.

EDIT: I don't presume to talk for your motives to play games like The Last Of Us, but I'm just talking about the average person who plays video games.

Nah people do play those games because they want games that have more adult themes in them because they're adults. 

When you were 8 years old, 90% of what your watched were probably animated cartoons, but as you grew up you probably started watching more live action and adult oriented TV shows and movies. 

That's just natural. The tastes of people change as the grow up. 

But that is why I think a Marvel deal would be good for Nintendo ... Marvel appeals to adults and kids at the same time. It's a very rare combination in the field of entertainment. That would work great for Nintendo because part of the problem they have is games like Devil's Third and Bayonetta will have a tough time selling on their consoles because they really don't have appeal to the family/kids portion of their market. But a Guardians or Avengers game? They can sell that to everyone. 

All this really is, is a pipe dream.

Disney wouldn't be too thrilled by having their games on ONE console, I'd imagine. Just consider for a moment that they have shut down their own development studios and have licensed Star Wars to EA; they obviously don't care about gaming all that much. But I wager they'd like to sell as many games to as many people as possible, hence why they've always been 3rd party.

And besides, it wouldn't be possible for Nintendo either; they simply don't have the man power to produce that many games. C'mon, they're struggling to release a few games a year on the Wii U.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Cream147 said:
Captain_Tom said:

I will talk to you about the mature themes in GTA V, and AC.  

GTAV: GTA is basically a parody of the American lifestyle and ideals.  It touches on subjects such as the torcher and detainment of people without due process, the disalusionment of the Americain dream, and hypocrysy in our political system.  Have you actually played the game and payed attention to it?

AC: Some of the assassin's games are dumber than the others, but ACIII for instance deals with a lot of interesting questions such as "Is it better to safe, or free?" , "Are the people we demonize necassarely the bad guys", and it also dealt with some contrivercial things that did happen during the American Revolution that most forget.