By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Can Nintendo Do To Appeal To The West?

Captain_Tom said:
LOL make games for adults. I know I will piss a lot of people off by saying that, but that's the truth. The Last of Us is deals with mature themes and complex subjects that people who have grown up, hunger for. I may love Paper Mario, but I need something more complex too.

Paper Mario is more complex, obscure and creepy than The Last of Us in some sequences, so you put a bad example there!

Around the Network
Wright said:
Captain_Tom said:
LOL make games for adults. I know I will piss a lot of people off by saying that, but that's the truth. The Last of Us is deals with mature themes and complex subjects that people who have grown up, hunger for. I may love Paper Mario, but I need something more complex too.

Paper Mario is more complex, obscure and creepy than The Last of Us in some sequences, so you put a bad example there!

I get that your joking, but I do seriously love Paper Mario.  Kidding asside, I need more than silly and charming at this point.  There is more out there, and I want to play it.

Norris2k said:

No, He's proposing what everybody else is doing. I mean not just Sony that has studios everywhere, but also Capcom, Konami, Sega. And Ubisoft that from France made part of his commercial success opening a studio in Canada. Etc. And it's not by accident everybody else is doing that, it's because you have to, it's a necessary investisment to gather talents, diversify genres, and expand. Nintendo is all about Japan, and even there they require a good level of japanese and handwritten resume. They have to move on.

No. Nintendo should never go down the road of trying to do what everyone else is doing. That is what Hiroshi Yamauchi said led to Sega's demise. I saw that interview years ago, but I cant find it, but he said it. Sega kept copying the market leader and other devs and by doing so they did not differenciate themselves enough from the everybody else thereby opening themselves up to easily getting taken down by competition. Look at the Dreamcast.

It had (all of these relatively big budget)

a traditional fighter (VF and DOA2)

a big online RPG (Phantasy Star Online)

quirky Nintendo-like games (Seaman and Samba De Amigo)

their own Mario-like Mascot (Sonic)

a racing sim (Metropolis Street Racer)

a Final Fantasy clone (Skies of Arcadia)

an open world game (Shenmue)

a survival horror game (RE Code Veronica)

a Metroid Clone (Gun Valkyrie)

a Smash wanna be (Power Stone)

a Zelda clone (Elemental Gimmick Gear)

sports games (NBA2k, Vurtua Tennis, NFL2k, etc.)

and a traditional first person shooter (Outtrigger)

And yet with all that the Dreamcast still never made a profit and bombed/killed. The moral of the story is, in entertainment/gaming, its better in the long run not to copy what everyone is doing.

Deeds said:
Norris2k said:

No, He's proposing what everybody else is doing. I mean not just Sony that has studios everywhere, but also Capcom, Konami, Sega. And Ubisoft that from France made part of his commercial success opening a studio in Canada. Etc. And it's not by accident everybody else is doing that, it's because you have to, it's a necessary investisment to gather talents, diversify genres, and expand. Nintendo is all about Japan, and even there they require a good level of japanese and handwritten resume. They have to move on.

No. Nintendo should never go down the road of trying to do what everyone else is doing. That is what Hiroshi Yamauchi said led to Sega's demise. I saw that interview years ago, but I cant find it, but he said it. Sega kept copying the market leader and other devs and by doing so they did not differenciate themselves enough from the everybody else thereby opening themselves up to easily getting taken down by competition. Look at the Dreamcast.

It had (all of these relatively big budget)

a traditional fighter (VF and DOA2)

a big online RPG (Phantasy Star Online)

quirky Nintendo-like games (Seaman and Samba De Amigo)

their own Mario-like Mascot (Sonic)

a racing sim (Metropolis Street Racer)

a Final Fantasy clone (Skies of Arcadia)

an open world game (Shenmue)

a survival horror game (RE Code Veronica)

a Metroid Clone (Gun Valkyrie)

a Smash wanna be (Power Stone)

a Zelda clone (Elemental Gimmick Gear)

sports games (NBA2k, Vurtua Tennis, NFL2k, etc.)

and a traditional first person shooter (Outtrigger)

And yet with all that the Dreamcast still never made a profit and bombed/killed. The moral of the story is, in entertainment/gaming, its better in the long run not to copy what everyone is doing.

I do love Sega, but any comparison with Sega is wrong. They were in a huge financial mess, didn't have licenses as popular as Nintendo. And last, but that's in fact what I like with them, I disagree they had many genre, or any genre. Most of the games would fit in one genre on the DC : arcade. Power Stone, Virtua Tennis, 2K Games, Samba De Amigo, that's arcade. Sega Rally can't compete with GT just because it's "racing". I don't see what would be wrong with Nintendo making a game better than GT. First question is : can they ?

mii-gamer said:
oniyide said:
mii-gamer said:

Nothing japanese about two japanese men bowing in a japanese manner with japanese inspired music playing in the background. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7uJp25BlE

Not at all japanese

yeah so what? could have been two black guys talking to the family instead. THe point of the advertisment was fun for the family. There is NOTHING Japanese about that message

Just admit your wrong dude and it wasn't simply about family, which tells me you are poorly informed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZH9FtCcJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFgoGhQz0I

Wii Would Like To Play campaign effectively marketed the brand new experience that the Wii offered. An exotic and excting japanese product that can be enjoyed by the west. The Japanese themes used in these commercials are quite delibrate, hence why it is recurring throughout each commercial. Are you going to dismiss that as well?

so you showed me a commercial that showed a white guy playing Metroid Prime. A FPS/adventure game. Yeah thats about as western as it gets. So i ask again. WHAT themes?

Around the Network
oniyide said:
mii-gamer said:
oniyide said:
mii-gamer said:

Nothing japanese about two japanese men bowing in a japanese manner with japanese inspired music playing in the background. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7uJp25BlE

Not at all japanese

yeah so what? could have been two black guys talking to the family instead. THe point of the advertisment was fun for the family. There is NOTHING Japanese about that message

Just admit your wrong dude and it wasn't simply about family, which tells me you are poorly informed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZH9FtCcJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFgoGhQz0I

Wii Would Like To Play campaign effectively marketed the brand new experience that the Wii offered. An exotic and excting japanese product that can be enjoyed by the west. The Japanese themes used in these commercials are quite delibrate, hence why it is recurring throughout each commercial. Are you going to dismiss that as well?

so you showed me a commercial that showed a white guy playing Metroid Prime. A FPS/adventure game. Yeah thats about as western as it gets. So i ask again. WHAT themes?

wow what terrible spin. Nit picks one commercial and ignores the rest of the commercial. @bold. I've already pointed them out, you just keep dismissing them

Just ignore him. He's clearly being inflammatory for the sake of it.

Soundwave said:
DanneSandin said:
All this really is, is a pipe dream.

Disney wouldn't be too thrilled by having their games on ONE console, I'd imagine. Just consider for a moment that they have shut down their own development studios and have licensed Star Wars to EA; they obviously don't care about gaming all that much. But I wager they'd like to sell as many games to as many people as possible, hence why they've always been 3rd party.

And besides, it wouldn't be possible for Nintendo either; they simply don't have the man power to produce that many games. C'mon, they're struggling to release a few games a year on the Wii U.

They'd be free to make games on other consoles. Just that on the Nintendo platform, Nintendo would fund/finance those games (or co-finance them with Disney). 

It's not really different from the Star Wars deal that Nintendo had in the 1990s where they got exclusive Star Wars games, but there were still other Star Wars games on other systems. 

Nintendo could has staffed up lately, but they could set up a studio to just work on Marvel games (200-300 people). It's a worthwhile investment as I think the game's would all be profitable, so why not. It's not like you're banking on some highly risky IP that you're sure people will like ... people like Iron Man, people like the Guardians of the Galaxy, people like Star Wars (well the OT anyway) ... these are not even in question.

Besides it's not like Disney is exactly picky about what they license their character IP out too, lol. They stick their characters on any piece of crap they can think of for licensing purposes, a deal with Nintendo would just be another day of the week for Disney.  

Ah, but then you gotta remember that Nintendo would be working on someone elses IPs, and to make a good/great game means knowing the material youre working with. Seeing how bad Nintendo are at understanding the western market (hence the thread), they would need to set up the new studio in the West. That would mean that the HQ would have less input in the work thats being done and therefore risking a lask of quality kn said games. Yes, Retro is a Western studio, but have they made something of their own? No, theyre making pure Nintendo games, something Nintendo understands. Making an Iron Man game, and everything Nintendo knows about game making goes out the window

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

They need a Achievement system for starters, yes more games will help.

Soundwave said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soundwave
Kin

Even if it was x86 based ... so what? Why is the average American/British/German kid going to buy the Nintendo console over the Sony or MS console where all their friends play? The Gamecube tried this approach and failed. 

No they didn't try this approach with the GC.  The GC was not easy for third parties to port games over to.  Having Nintendo exclusives and third party games all in one box would sell their next console.  

Your approach of making games based on movies will not do anything, there is already that stigma that movie based games are bad.  You don't even suggest how to make these games good, make them in house and cut development on their first party games?  Hire big, talented third party developers that would probably cost a fortune?

It was easy enough for the GameCube to have virtually all the same Western games as the PS2 and XBox did. GCN had Madden NFL, 007 Nightfire, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawk, Medal of Honor, NBA Street, SSX, Beyond Good & Evil, Timesplitters 2, NHL, etc. etc. All those games basically sold the worst on the GameCube anyway, third parties cannot get away from the fact that their games will sell less on Nintendo platforms because they have to compete with Nintendo's own IP. 

Nintendo fans just don't take to multiplats either. Wii U had multiplats it first year, no one bought any of them. 

GameCube had GTA and Final Fantasy?  If I had known this, I might have bought one. Oh wait, no I wouldn't have.  Because it was a silly looking purple box. Give up the "they tried it with GC". They didn't. Very few dudebro core gamers would touch anything purple with a handle.