By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Order: 1886 new not so linear video (Player explores instead of completing objective)

enditall727 said:

But you are. And you DON'T have a point about the cutscene..

A game that allows me to interact within some of the cutscenes? OH GOD THIS IS SO TERRIBLE!! You actually attempted to call it too many cutscenes. I dont see the problem. It's an interactive cutscene and you dont like it. YOU are the problem. 

Also, it does immerse you in the game more than it would just watching the cutscene and you dont need to be frightened. Resident Evil 4 never frightened me. The only game that I feel can really frighten me these days is maybe a good Silent Hill. Does that mean that RE4 cant feel frightened anybody else just because it didn't really frighten me? 

Either way these interactive cutscenes are better and are welcomed in the future as long as they are done right( they did it perfectly in the demo when the hybrid started making his way toward galahad). I just feel that this isn't the ideal gameplay to show off at E3.

It would've been fine if you just kept it about them improving the gunplay or something.

But but but.. it has too many cutscenes! ..Stop it

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of my point:

The problem is not the interactivity of the cutscenes. Interactive cutscenes can be okay in some scenarios, but I still hold them on the same level as regular cutscenes. They need to be used sparingly, and avoided if possible.

The problem is the frequency of cutscenes that take you out of control. I find it hard to believe that you don't see what I am talking about even if you don't agree with me. The first video that I posted showed gameplay broken up into 10second pieces, fractured by cutscene after cutscene. That to me feels like I have no agency in the world and it feels like my goal is to get to the next cutscene as opposed to survival or completing a mission. 

Whether or not the game actually has multiple paths that the game can go down, these cutscenes can give players the illusion of lack of choice. To the player, it can feel like they aren't the character in the world, they feel like they are just watching a static story play out and shooting things along the way. 

Heres a couple videos for you (first one is infinitely more important):
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RFoGvkQfs

This video talks about how much agency you need in games. Key sections:
-Around 1:30 when he begins talking about TLOU. The way The Order is designed would put that section as a cutscene, or at least break it up with cutscenes, taking away the player's feeling of agency. This makes them feel safe in the thought that whatever is coming up will be a point to the story and likely a cutscene. I am just performing the necessary actions to get to that point. What I am asking for is the game to make you feel like you are the character, and that your decision to go around that corner is meaningful, because, while it is not a true choice, whatever happens will be determined by your own ability to adapt and you really are alone without the cutscenes to calmly guide you through.
-Also, look at 3:30 where it talks about "bad shooters". That is what the first half of this demo does. You don't have much gameplay choice. Sure, you can change weapons, but honestly, the only thing that really does is change what the explosion looks like. If you try to move around, you get riddled with bullets (as shown by the player who seemed to try to move around). Your gameplay choice is to play whack-a-mole with your enemies. As Dan said "there is no choice involved, just doing". 

By what I've seen, this game does not give me enough to make me feel like my decisions matter. In fact, it seems like it was designed specifically to make me feel like my decisions don't matter, whether they have any real effect or not. 

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXIR2dlktc

This video talks about cutscenes in games. Key sections:
-As this video starts it says that we shouldn't do away with cutscenes entirely. I first want to clarify that I don't disagree. I think that cutscenes largely have a place at the beginning or ending of level, but should be replaced with gameplay when possible. My main problems comes with mini cutscenes of the few second variety that break up the gameplay for no real reason. These sacrifice player agency and control to make the game more cinematic. I do not believe that games should aspire to be movies, I think they should aspire to be the best games they can be. 
-This video starts by talking about downsides to cutscenes and I think R@D falls victim to many of these, but he tends to brush over the ones I'm leaning more on right now. 
-The second part of the video talks about the places to use cutscenes in the game. I don't think there is much to talk about here, but I can agree with all of it, just to clarify my stance. 

PS: I don't like how you are trying to belittle my point without actually putting any effort into this discussion. I am here to have a discussion on the place of cutscenes in games, and whether or not The Order uses them effectively. I have stated my point, your counterpoint seems to be simply "No, you are wrong". Or possibly, your argument is "interactive cutscenes>static cutscenes" which isn't what I was talking about here and I don't really disagree with. My discussion is "Cutscenes (both interactive and static)<Pure gameplay" which is very different than what you are discussing

Around the Network
Baryonyx said:

Almost all games are cinematic in the beginning of the game, it's because it's the introduction into the story..  the Cinematic will be getting bigger gaps along the story line, where the Gameplay will be more heavily focused. The first time you play, the first monster you meet? that is where the cinematic will be the strongest. but the next time you meet them, it will be 90% Gameplay and 10% cinematic..  Cinematics are also used as a more entertaining tutorial. i hate tutorials where it's 100% tutorial, like a practise range..  Keep the hope and optimism up

yeah really think of the first level of TLoU.  You do a couple quicktimes, watch stuff happen, then run in a straight line pretty much lol.  Didn't stop the game from having open areas and choose your own play style later.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

teigaga said:
Aura7541 said:
teigaga said:

Why? its completely subjective. I think 30fps is more cinematic.

In movies, it's not the 24 fps itself that makes them look cinematic, it's the motion blur.

Its a combination of the two, more so the framerate. Shutterspeed and frame both a very distinct effect of the flavour of a films sense of cinema. 

The motion blur helps the human perceive the low framerate to look smooth. It works really well in live-action movies because cameras capture natural light sources. However, it's a huge challenge for video games because usually the lighting is not realistic and will instead, make the games look even weirder. The Order: 1886, has some pretty damn good lighting, so if motion blur is implemented, it should look fine. The other problem with implementing motion blur is control latency and I hope RAD is working on making the controls feel responsive.

This guy here does a better job at explaining this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w

People who complain about cinematic gameplay never saw a modern cinematic TPS it seems.

Uncharted is the most known of all and an excellent game, Quantum Break seems to follow the same path.

Still no one complain about these one whereas they have a lot of cinematics ( the only difference is that you dont play in these cinematics )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Based on gameplay we've seen thus far, it still looks pretty average.

I still want to play it though. I'm just keeping my expectations low.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Abaddon said:
Saddens me that Ryze got so much heat and yet this game doesnt even get the slightest in comparison. At least Ryze was a release day title. And i am not biased. Id probably enjoy either the same. Ryze was aneyegasm and a fan playthrough with actual cool story to it. The order will sell so much more obviously and not get from the media all the crap that Ryze did. Was caught up in the era that everything xbox related was anyiconsumer according to the fanboys and the media. Well done.

Uh, you may not be biased, but you seem to have reading issues.  There are no few complaints in this thread (and every single thread about this particular demo, going back to when this demo was launched), for lack of gameplay innovation, qte's, no open world, etc...

Thats the thing and what i am pointing out. This game will go by with few compains. Ryze whenever mentioned is remembered as the worse game released back then. There is a hige difference with a few complains. Someone might have a complain or two from GTA V... Know what 1I mean?

sundin13 said:
enditall727 said:

But you are. And you DON'T have a point about the cutscene..

A game that allows me to interact within some of the cutscenes? OH GOD THIS IS SO TERRIBLE!! You actually attempted to call it too many cutscenes. I dont see the problem. It's an interactive cutscene and you dont like it. YOU are the problem. 

Also, it does immerse you in the game more than it would just watching the cutscene and you dont need to be frightened. Resident Evil 4 never frightened me. The only game that I feel can really frighten me these days is maybe a good Silent Hill. Does that mean that RE4 cant feel frightened anybody else just because it didn't really frighten me? 

Either way these interactive cutscenes are better and are welcomed in the future as long as they are done right( they did it perfectly in the demo when the hybrid started making his way toward galahad). I just feel that this isn't the ideal gameplay to show off at E3.

It would've been fine if you just kept it about them improving the gunplay or something.

But but but.. it has too many cutscenes! ..Stop it

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of my point:

The problem is not the interactivity of the cutscenes. Interactive cutscenes can be okay in some scenarios, but I still hold them on the same level as regular cutscenes. They need to be used sparingly, and avoided if possible.

The problem is the frequency of cutscenes that take you out of control. I find it hard to believe that you don't see what I am talking about even if you don't agree with me. The first video that I posted showed gameplay broken up into 10second pieces, fractured by cutscene after cutscene. That to me feels like I have no agency in the world and it feels like my goal is to get to the next cutscene as opposed to survival or completing a mission. 

Whether or not the game actually has multiple paths that the game can go down, these cutscenes can give players the illusion of lack of choice. To the player, it can feel like they aren't the character in the world, they feel like they are just watching a static story play out and shooting things along the way. 

Heres a couple videos for you (first one is infinitely more important):
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RFoGvkQfs

This video talks about how much agency you need in games. Key sections:
-Around 1:30 when he begins talking about TLOU. The way The Order is designed would put that section as a cutscene, or at least break it up with cutscenes, taking away the player's feeling of agency. This makes them feel safe in the thought that whatever is coming up will be a point to the story and likely a cutscene. I am just performing the necessary actions to get to that point. What I am asking for is the game to make you feel like you are the character, and that your decision to go around that corner is meaningful, because, while it is not a true choice, whatever happens will be determined by your own ability to adapt and you really are alone without the cutscenes to calmly guide you through.
-Also, look at 3:30 where it talks about "bad shooters". That is what the first half of this demo does. You don't have much gameplay choice. Sure, you can change weapons, but honestly, the only thing that really does is change what the explosion looks like. If you try to move around, you get riddled with bullets (as shown by the player who seemed to try to move around). Your gameplay choice is to play whack-a-mole with your enemies. As Dan said "there is no choice involved, just doing". 

By what I've seen, this game does not give me enough to make me feel like my decisions matter. In fact, it seems like it was designed specifically to make me feel like my decisions don't matter, whether they have any real effect or not. 

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXIR2dlktc

This video talks about cutscenes in games. Key sections:
-As this video starts it says that we shouldn't do away with cutscenes entirely. I first want to clarify that I don't disagree. I think that cutscenes largely have a place at the beginning or ending of level, but should be replaced with gameplay when possible. My main problems comes with mini cutscenes of the few second variety that break up the gameplay for no real reason. These sacrifice player agency and control to make the game more cinematic. I do not believe that games should aspire to be movies, I think they should aspire to be the best games they can be. 
-This video starts by talking about downsides to cutscenes and I think R@D falls victim to many of these, but he tends to brush over the ones I'm leaning more on right now. 
-The second part of the video talks about the places to use cutscenes in the game. I don't think there is much to talk about here, but I can agree with all of it, just to clarify my stance. 

PS: I don't like how you are trying to belittle my point without actually putting any effort into this discussion. I am here to have a discussion on the place of cutscenes in games, and whether or not The Order uses them effectively. I have stated my point, your counterpoint seems to be simply "No, you are wrong". Or possibly, your argument is "interactive cutscenes>static cutscenes" which isn't what I was talking about here and I don't really disagree with. My discussion is "Cutscenes (both interactive and static)

I'm trying to belittle your point? I can't have even attempted to belittle your "point" because you didn't have a point to be belittled in the 1st place. Well atleast what it seemed you were originally trying to get at with your 1st reply to me. You were trying to make it seem like that interactive cutscene was the whole games gameplay that kept being interuppted by cutscenes when it was actually just an interactive cutscene that they let you control at times. 

So basically that video was a cutscene representation and not a gameplay representation.

In that 1st video, i knew exactly what he was about to get at with the thing in TLOU. They basically make something important missable. If you dont pay attention, you could miss out on something. It's like the P.T demo. I was trying to show a friend the P.T demo but the motherfucker kept looking away when the important shit would happen. So basically those type of games are VERY rewarding to people who pay attention and are a lot less rewarding to people who dont pay attention.

The video talked about the shooter thing but lets look at The Order for a second. In the demo, they gave you 1 type of enemy so only logic would tell you that you wouldn't need much strategy or a need to change guns to kill them. Now lets say we took Gears Of War, Uncharted, or ANY OTHER 3rd person shooter on this planet, placed 1 type of enemy in front of them, and let you play. Could you determine the amount of strategy that would be needed to kill this enemy? Would switching guns make a real strategic difference when killing this 1 type of enemy or would it basically be just seeing the explosion of the guns?

Also, Could you show me any other 3rd person shooter demo that showed you that your decisions mattered? I cant think of any at the moment but give me an example of a 3rd person shooter demo that showed how your decisions mattered unlike The Order.

About the movie thing.. Some people claimed that Uncharted was like a movie but that game is better than any other 3rd person shooter that aspires to take a kiddish-no-movie approach any day of the week. If a game wants to have movie qualities then so be it. as long as it's good, i'm all for it. I don't know why people try to act like games that have movie-qualities are bad. As if non-movieish-games are all top notch or something. There are GARBAGE ass'd regular games out here too. Don't try to single out the games that have some movie qualities as if it makes them worse or something.

I believe you're just expecting way too much from this demo of The Order for whatever reason.

We'll see how the game turns out when it releases(hopefully good) because this demo is... a demo

I know this is late but did you really just post a video of this OLD ASS demo?

Had me thinking i was about to see a new video of The Order... Don't ever make a thread titled like this again

sundin13 said:
method114 said:

I don't get  why anything needs to be proven. This is  supposed to be the answer to gears of war. That game was as linear as it gets and I loved every minute of it.

Games being linear has suddenly become the new 1080p. No game can ever be linear again it seems.

As I said later in the thread, the linearity isn't really the problem (although this thread is still laughable). The problem is the lack of gameplay diversity. While we haven't seen much of this game (R@D's fault) it really doesn't seem to do anything to elevate it past being a generic TPS with pretty (albeit too frequent) cinematics...

If thats what you are into, more power to you, but I see no problem in asking for more out of our games...

teigaga said:

Its a combination of the two, more so the framerate. Shutterspeed and frame both a very distinct effect of the flavour of a films sense of cinema. 

Striving to be "cinematic" is a BS goal for video games. Why should they strive to be like another medium, when video games have so many advantages. Why don't they play to their own strengths? For games, 60>30 and while not necessary in many cases, it is still a goal to be strived for. 60 presents smoother motion and a more snappy game feel. Here is an example of 60vs30: http://i.imgur.com/Yrhkgwr.gifv

You may enjoy 30 more for some inane reason, but for devs to be telling us "we are holding our games back because we want them to be more like movies" is bullshit.

I'd say that link is too detached from the context to have much meaning. The Uncharted 4 teaser at 30 fps vs 60 fps is more useful. I've watched several times over and still think the 30fps is more appealing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-at-60-fps

Striving to be cinematic is totally not BS. Video games are unique in that they can more or less encapsulate all of the mediums and the vast majority of the time they do, knowingly or not. Its not and shouldn't be a case of trying to be like film, but instead maximising the potential where the medium of  moving images is concerned. The primary output of games is moving images, this so happens to be the same as film. The difference is film has been doing it a lot a longer and in some parts, a lot better. If a games core component is to propell you through a linear, narrative driven experience (FF, The Last of US) and it does this primarily through visual story telling, what on earth is wrong with trying to be cinematic? Especially when as you mention the benefits of the 60fps may be negatable and have a rather mute effect on gameplay. 

But I agree that 60fps should be the default goal of most games, but some devs like RAD genuinely have purpose in what FPS they strive for. The majority of the time others are probably worried about their game looking worse from a promotional stand point (stills, trailers, tv spots) against the 30fps competitors with more flashy effects, textures and high poly counts.

Aura7541 said:
teigaga said:
Aura7541 said:
teigaga said:

Why? its completely subjective. I think 30fps is more cinematic.

In movies, it's not the 24 fps itself that makes them look cinematic, it's the motion blur.

The motion blur helps the human perceive the low framerate to look smooth. It works really well in live-action movies because cameras capture natural light sources. However, it's a huge challenge for video games because usually the lighting is not realistic and will instead, make the games look even weirder. The Order: 1886, has some pretty damn good lighting, so if motion blur is implemented, it should look fine. The other problem with implementing motion blur is control latency and I hope RAD is working on making the controls feel responsive.

This guy here does a better job at explaining this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZ_kWTB9w

I think that video is more a decription of why film can afford a framerate of 24fps without looking choppy, whereas games can't. I wouldn't even say 30fps is ideal in terms of appearing ''cinematic'' but I think preferable over 60fps. But as a initially I think its somehwhat subject, the regularity at which we're exposed to the 2 probably has a huge impact on our perception as well. I take you've seen the video of Uncharted 4 running at 30fps vs 60fps. Which one to you was most cinematic? 

For me it was the 30fps.