Digital + Blu-Ray 70 12.48%

Digital + DVD 21 3.74%

Digital + Blu-Ray + DVD 58 10.34%

DVD + Blu-Ray 50 8.91%

Total:561
Turkish said:
benao87 said:
What? Is Blue Ray still a thing? XD

Are you even in the HD era yet or still stuck to 480p?

Uh a funny guy. Don't know, I own a PS3 since 2011, is that HD?

Funny thing the say thay I got the PS3, I bought 2 BR movies, I think I haven't bought a single one after that. Most of my media is on DVDs or streamed.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
burninmylight said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

lol  i have theories but i havent really researched it with facts. but i am with you, WTF.

Our government lets ISPs get away with it, simple as that. Most ISPs are also cable television or satellite service providers that don't want you to go all-digital, so they discourage it through data caps. They also use them to pretend to justify their price tiers on their service packages.

"Americans pay so much because they don't have a choice,"

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

I was hoping someone smarter and more resourceful than me would provide some actual data and sources. Thanks for answering the bell.

Skidonti said:

All I can say is I and my family don't buy either. The only video discs I've bought in three-four years are a small handful of the Ghibli Blu-ray editions.

*Perhaps I should note that when we do keep up our Netflix physical subscription we rent blu-rays, of course.

i want those!

Kerotan said:
WolfpackN64 said:
With 4K Blu-Ray's coming, it's marketshare will only rise.

how many layer discs will they need for 4k? I'd imagine they'd need 200Gigs. The availability of multi layer blu rays will only be good for consoles. 

The plan is to use 82mbps 50GB, 108mbps 66GB and 128mbps 100GB discs with h.265 encoding, 10 bit REC.2020 color (you need a new tv to take advantage of the wider color gamut), upto 60fps, they'll be coming out late 2015.
http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-discs-arriving-in-2015-to-fight-streaming-media/
I'm looking forward to upgrading to a 4K projector. The sharpness of a 46" tv at 4x the size. Improved color and range as well, sounds good.

Blu-ray marketshare is healthy, although the physical market is shrinking as well as all movie sales and rental revenue combined.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/market-share/top-20-blu-ray-market-share-week-ended-101214

I've bought 58 blu-rays this year already, spend about $17 average on them. Picture, sound quality and extras, digital doesn't come close. Not that I have a choice with my shitty internet. It's been acting up again, I've been trying to download Plants vs Zombies Garden warfare for the past 3 days. Still stuck at 58%.

benao87 said:
What? Is Blue Ray still a thing? XD

It's interesting to watch companies brainwash average people into thinking that physical media is dead when in fact, it still outsells physical and in some cases, by a large margin. For instance, for every 10 books sold, 7 of them are physical. Physical music? That medium that's been "dead" for like a decade now? They still make up about 50% of the market when to comes to full album purchases. Games? Again, not even close. DVD's and Blu-Ray's FAR outsell digital purchases as well.

Really, the only reason people tend to snicker about physical media being gone is because of marketing. And WHY do they market digital purchases as the here and now sort of thing? Because they want to kill second hand sales... period. 

Around the Network
Skidonti said:

All I can say is I and my family don't buy either. The only video discs I've bought in three-four years are a small handful of the Ghibli Blu-ray editions.

*Perhaps I should note that when we do keep up our Netflix physical subscription we rent blu-rays, of course.

I bought all the Ghibli ones Disney bothered to release in NA. I imported Mononoke from Hong Kong, lost patience waiting for the Disney release. Spirited away is coming out in Europe in 4 weeks on blu-ray, here no release date. Mononoke and Kiki's delivery service are finally coming in November over here, yet Porco rosso, which has been out for a year in Europe, still no release date.

Aren't DVDs selling more than Blu ray overall?

I mean, in many Blu Ray releases it also comes with the DVD

1doesnotsimply

I remember there was a topic about dvd vs blu ray here yer ago anybody now what source they used in this topic

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

prayformojo said:

DVD's and Blu-Ray's FAR outsell digital purchases as well.

Really, the only reason people tend to snicker about physical media being gone is because of marketing. And WHY do they market digital purchases as the here and now sort of thing? Because they want to kill second hand sales... period. 

Actually.. In the first half of 2014 Total Digital spending beat physical spending 3.6 billion dollar to 3.2 billion dollar.. While i think the holiday season will help dvd and blu-Ray To still be ahead this entire year it won't last long..

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/us-home-entertainment-spending-flat-in-first-half-of-2014-1201275827/

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

"Digital purchase" is kind of an oxymoron anyway, people don't want to purchase movies digitally (or physically) in most cases ... streaming a movie from Netflix or "renting" a new release from their cable provider is what they want, not to purchase a "digital copy" of a movie for $20 or whatever.