Blu-Ray 171 30.48%

Digital 141 25.13%

Still love my HD-DVD :( 10 1.78%

Digital + Blu-Ray 70 12.48%

Digital + DVD 21 3.74%

Digital + Blu-Ray + DVD 58 10.34%

DVD + Blu-Ray 50 8.91%

Total:561

Just thinking about an all digital future. It's actually a bit scary to think our money will be translated into microscopic bits of data. At least physical you buy a book you actually have a book. Maybe it's for the best, less of an environmental impact I suppose.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Just thinking about an all digital future. It's actually a bit scary to think our money will be translated into microscopic bits of data. At least physical you buy a book you actually have a book. Maybe it's for the best, less of an environmental impact I suppose.

There was a thread about this article a while ago
http://kotaku.com/ditching-discs-for-downloads-may-not-be-as-eco-friendly-1630745983

Considering I get my blu-rays in the mail, with the regular mail delivery, there's no extra co2 emissions involved on my part. Yet to download Plants vs Zombies Garden warfare I had to leave my ps4 on for 19 hours. I should have switched on standby mode but the f did I know my 40mbps internet was going to have a bad day and take that long.

Btw money has been microscopic bits of data for a long time, bits for bits. I'll keep converting my money bits into tangible objects :)

SvennoJ said:
Kerotan said:

There was a thread about this article a while ago
http://kotaku.com/ditching-discs-for-downloads-may-not-be-as-eco-friendly-1630745983

Considering I get my blu-rays in the mail, with the regular mail delivery, there's no extra co2 emissions involved on my part. Yet to download Plants vs Zombies Garden warfare I had to leave my ps4 on for 19 hours. I should have switched on standby mode but the f did I know my 40mbps internet was going to have a bad day and take that long.

Btw money has been microscopic bits of data for a long time, bits for bits. I'll keep converting my money bits into tangible objects :)

haha very good. Yeah now that you mention it unless your energy comes from a wind turbine physical is probably better. 

WolfpackN64 said:
NiKKoM said:
WolfpackN64 said:
With 4K Blu-Ray's coming, it's marketshare will only rise.

I think it will shift the balance to streaming and digital even more.. don't think many people will be happy to spend money again on a new blu ray player and new discs of the same movies.. not to mention a 4K TV..

Au contraire. 4K Blu-rays will, in my opinion, give Blu-Rays a much needed boost. Streaming or digitally storing 4K movies and series will take a hefty toll on people's internet bandwiths. 4K Blu-Rays will alleviate that problem for people who love movies, but don't have as good internet bandwiths. Also, movie enthousiasts will rather purchase digitally or use Blu-Rays due to streaming often displaying artifacts and potentially lessening your movie experiance.

There's something called a law of diminishing returns

DVD was very noticably superior to VHS

Blu_Ray was noticeably better than DVD

Blu Ray 4K is modestly better than Blu-Ray

There comes a time when the technological leaps just aren't that noticable and the public doesn't feel the need to buy into another new technology.Especially with older movies/TV shows filmed on older stock/ 4:3 or other format which won't noticably improve in the transition from blu ray to blu ray 4K.

Nettles said:

There comes a time when the technological leaps just aren't that noticable and the public doesn't feel the need to buy into another new technology.Especially with older movies/TV shows filmed on older stock/ 4:3 or other format which won't noticably improve in the transition from blu ray to blu ray 4K.

While true for 35mm movies and digital movies before 2013, 80mm movies and everything shot with Digital RED 5k cameras do have a significant benefit from 4K blu-ray. It's not only resolution though, 10 bit color and rec.2020 will finally replace the ageing 8 bit rec.709 limited color space, unchanged since DVD.  Plus support for higher frame rates. Ofcourse all that is lost on today's tvs, yet when 4K tvs start to become the norm in 5 years, rec.2020 gets implemented in tvs and Oled tvs become affordable you will see a big step up to 4k blu-ray.

Average tv size still keeps growing and a lot of movie fans will never stop until they get the full cinematic experience at home. 4K masters are quickly becoming the norm in Hollywood, so why settle for less at home :)

I love blu-ray but I see the limitations of the format, it's not all that sharp and compression artifact free on a projector. Plus 2.35:1 movies only have 1920x817 resolution on the disc. A well preserved anamorphically shot 35mm movie would still noticeably benefit from 4K.

Around the Network

People on this site can notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 22" screen across their room but can't appreciate the difference between Netflix and Bluray XD

While I'm not the most eagle eyed movie watcher going, the difference between Bluray and DVD is massive.

Haven't seen many 4K demos yet but the ones I have seen have been amazing to watch. Will def need to do a comparison of a 4K movie vs 1080p movie(given the same chance, upscaled on a 4K screen with something like MadVR) and see the difference

Blu Ray (mostly) and Netflix (when unavailable or due to lazyness) for new stuff, although I do also have a sizeable Collection on DVDs

The only Blu Ray I saw was Avatar years ago for PS3... so I'm with DVDs, I don't really care about HD (not even in videogames) so I go with the less expensive choice.

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...  

SirFortesque said:
The only Blu Ray I saw was Avatar years ago for PS3... so I'm with DVDs, I don't really care about HD (not even in videogames) so I go with the less expensive choice.

that's fair enough. depends on the movie if i care if the quality is good or not. 

SvennoJ said:
Nettles said:

While true for 35mm movies and digital movies before 2013, 80mm movies and everything shot with Digital RED 5k cameras do have a significant benefit from 4K blu-ray. It's not only resolution though, 10 bit color and rec.2020 will finally replace the ageing 8 bit rec.709 limited color space, unchanged since DVD.  Plus support for higher frame rates. Ofcourse all that is lost on today's tvs, yet when 4K tvs start to become the norm in 5 years, rec.2020 gets implemented in tvs and Oled tvs become affordable you will see a big step up to 4k blu-ray.

Average tv size still keeps growing and a lot of movie fans will never stop until they get the full cinematic experience at home. 4K masters are quickly becoming the norm in Hollywood, so why settle for less at home :)

I love blu-ray but I see the limitations of the format, it's not all that sharp and compression artifact free on a projector. Plus 2.35:1 movies only have 1920x817 resolution on the disc. A well preserved anamorphically shot 35mm movie would still noticeably benefit from 4K.

I hope so because I want to get a nice OLED 4K TV for less than €2000 in like 4-5 years time. Maybe even a curved one if they're reasonably priced.  Seeing ads for them now so surely by then they will. My 55" SOny bravio should serve me well till such a time.