By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the impact Smash will have on Wii U sales being massively overhyped?

How much will Smash help Wii U sales?

Barely noticeable boost 53 13.59%

Big boost, but only temporary 259 66.41%

It will single-handedly save the Wii U 78 20.00%

Total:390
Mandalore76 said:
Just curious, but why does everyone with a list of "things that were supposed to save the Wii U" always have Pikmin 3 on there? Pikmin is and always has been a niche franchise. No single version ever broke 2 million in sales. By the end of it's run Pikmin 3's lifetime sales will likely be at least close to Pikmin 2 which itself sold less than the original. As a million seller (again, I'm assuming that it eventually becomes one), Pikmin 3 would have to be viewed as a success in the context of it's franchise. But, to ever say that it was supposed to move hardware on its own is beyond wishful thinking.

someone has said it would at some point otherwise it wouldnt be on the board. Some here have selective memory or the ones who made that claim has long moved on in shame.

OT it will give a boost but nothing crazy. if MK couldnt do it. i dont see why this would.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Barozi said:
gonna be interesting to see if it's going to do better than 3D World or not.

Its going to destroy SM3DW bro :0

well both Smash and Galaxy were on the same sales level last gen.

install base is higher now, but Smash has found a rival in the 3DS version.

Even MK8 didn't "destroy" 3D World (though it didn't launch during the holidays).

I still think that it's going to be interesting.

NintendoPie said:
The Wii U is already saved, the rest of the world just doesn't want to believe it.

Also, that chalkboard; I'm embarrassed for the person who made it. Wonderful 101? Ubisoft?...

be embarrassed for the people whol believed it.

Barozi said:
tbone51 said:
Barozi said:
gonna be interesting to see if it's going to do better than 3D World or not.

Its going to destroy SM3DW bro :0

well both Smash and Galaxy were on the same sales level last gen.

install base is higher now, but Smash has found a rival in the 3DS version.

Even MK8 didn't "destroy" 3D World (though it didn't launch during the holidays).

I still think that it's going to be interesting.

Its going to be interesting because both launch literally atthe same time different year! I think (i should say Kno :P ) that SSBU will easily beat SM3DW fw in all regions

It will boost Wii U sales for a few weeks, maybe for Christmas, but not enough to save it.

Around the Network

Honestly, Nintendo should've done the following:

Holiday 2013 - Mario Kart 8, Wii Fit U & 3rd party games like Sonic

January 2014 - Wii Party U
February 2014 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
March 2014 - Zelda TWWHD
May 2014 - Super Mario 3D World
July 2014 - Wii Sports Club (Should've never been digital first)

Then the rest of 2014 continues as is.

Mario Kart would've been big enough to have a big Holiday & the gap would be much more tolerable. In the end, it wouldn't change the actual games but would create the illusion of consistency.

Everything they come to save the console is being overhyped. Thet problems are on the concept behind the console itself that originated the hardware. After they sent it to manufacture, things were pretty much done. Time to do a good postmorten analysis and project its successor to launch in the next gen (in the right time, no "Dreamcast" suicide launch here) and fix the wrong things they did.

WW HD will save the Wii U!
3D World!
Donkey Kon
Mario K
Sma

No. Nothing is saving the Wii U. Any boost we would see would already be consumed by the holidays.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

At the start of the year I predicted 9 million Wii U sales by the end of the year which at the time seemed a bit optimistic. Now it seems like they are on track to get there. Not great numbers I know 2 years after release but maybe starting to get to the point where 3rd parties review their decision and support the console once more?
Wii U has great first party titles and great indie support but the lack of AA 3rd party support is killing the console.

at this point who is still expecting anything to cause a miraculous turnaround for Wii U?

I visit the Nintendo boards quite often and I can't remember the last time I saw a "X will save Wii U" thread.

most people now have pretty modest predictions for Smash Bros, it will cause Wii U to have a better holiday season than last year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.