By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the impact Smash will have on Wii U sales being massively overhyped?

How much will Smash help Wii U sales?

Barely noticeable boost 53 13.59%

Big boost, but only temporary 259 66.41%

It will single-handedly save the Wii U 78 20.00%

Total:390
tripenfall said:
At the start of the year I predicted 9 million Wii U sales by the end of the year which at the time seemed a bit optimistic. Now it seems like they are on track to get there. Not great numbers I know 2 years after release but maybe starting to get to the point where 3rd parties review their decision and support the console once more?
Wii U has great first party titles and great indie support but the lack of AA 3rd party support is killing the console.

3rd parties dont care about install base, they care about whether or not their games sell on a platform.

if 3rd party games dont sell well on Wii U with an install base of 7 million, they wont on an install base of 9 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Topic loses all credibility when the dumb strawman board is posting.  Not many people thought wonderful 101 was going to be a system seller.

First of all, MarioKart did help the Wii U quite a bit and had a sustained effect. I think Smash Bros. will have the same effect as MarioKart 8, but larger. I've seen a lot of people online saying that they were going to buy a Wii U for Smash Bros. alone.

sundin13 said:

Except you are clearly using the term "real 3D" as a value judgement, implying that a Galaxy style game is somehow inherently greater or more impactful than the 3DL/W style. Everybody acknowledges that 3DW is different in style than Galaxy (although galaxy was different than sunshine, which was different than 64), but that does not mean it isn't "real 3D"

And the term "real 3D" is still BS, whether or not I know what you mean. 

The bolded makes the rest of that paragraph irrelevant. I'm using real 3D as a catagorization. That's it. Nothing more to say there. The term real 3D is just as appropriate as 3D when referencing 3D Mario games. The problem is that people like you confuse simply saying 3D Mario as including the iso Mario games, so people like me have to add the one word to clarify. If there were no confusion, there'd be no need for clarification. Nothing BS about it.

EDIT: If you want to keep talking about this, message me. I'm not getting banned for being off topic.

Overhyped is the wrong word, this is no Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, or Destiny. This is Nintendo and Smash bros we're talking about. So overhyped is definitely not the right word.

Sales wise, I believe the general consensus is that it will have good sales, no "saving" consoles.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Mandalore76 said:
Just curious, but why does everyone with a list of "things that were supposed to save the Wii U" always have Pikmin 3 on there? Pikmin is and always has been a niche franchise. No single version ever broke 2 million in sales. By the end of it's run Pikmin 3's lifetime sales will likely be at least close to Pikmin 2 which itself sold less than the original. As a million seller (again, I'm assuming that it eventually becomes one), Pikmin 3 would have to be viewed as a success in the context of it's franchise. But, to ever say that it was supposed to move hardware on its own is beyond wishful thinking.

someone has said it would at some point otherwise it wouldnt be on the board. Some here have selective memory or the ones who made that claim has long moved on in shame.

OT it will give a boost but nothing crazy. if MK couldnt do it. i dont see why this would.

some people like to exagerate what others say as well, many people said Pikmin would help boost sales and that a combination of Pikmin plus many other games could cause Wii U to sell strongly but nobody said that Pikmin in amd of itself would save Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I hoe you're not using that chalkboard as a serious reference material.

Nothing is going to "save" the Wii U, its fate is sealed. I have one and I love it and recommend it, but I've been down this road to many times before... It will have a barely noticeable increase in sales but Smash will sell like gangbusters

Let me put this in perspective.

The PS4, XBOX ONE, and WIIU are all IKEA Tables.

The PS4 is finished.

The XBOX ONE is about halfway done but someone lost the screwdriver.

The wiiU...well...someone got frustrated and took a bat and repeatedly smashed that table and then lit it on fire.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Ka-pi96 said:

Mario Kart is a game that has usually and consistently outsold Smash Bros on almost every console they've both appeared on, with just the one exception. 

So....twice? 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334