By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the impact Smash will have on Wii U sales being massively overhyped?

How much will Smash help Wii U sales?

Barely noticeable boost 53 13.59%

Big boost, but only temporary 259 66.41%

It will single-handedly save the Wii U 78 20.00%

Total:390

Just curious, but why does everyone with a list of "things that were supposed to save the Wii U" always have Pikmin 3 on there? Pikmin is and always has been a niche franchise. No single version ever broke 2 million in sales. By the end of it's run Pikmin 3's lifetime sales will likely be at least close to Pikmin 2 which itself sold less than the original. As a million seller (again, I'm assuming that it eventually becomes one), Pikmin 3 would have to be viewed as a success in the context of it's franchise. But, to ever say that it was supposed to move hardware on its own is beyond wishful thinking.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
gonna be interesting to see if it's going to do better than 3D World or not.

Its going to destroy SM3DW bro :0

I also dont think its massively overhyped cause that would mean that when the game comes out, people will be disappointed and it will do bad on sales which it will do neither of judging from Nintendo's track record... It just wont save the wiiu

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

super_etecoon said:
TruckOSaurus said:
There's no "saving" the Wii U. Outselling the Gamecube would be a great achievement at this point. Smash will help the Wii U but it won't magically change the console's faith.

Which god does it have to believe in to be saved?

The balance god. Between what Consumer masses want. And what Nintendo heads want.

I expect the Wii U to have a much better Holiday this year compared to last year.

I also expect the base-line to go from 40K to 50K a week once the Holidays are over.

Wii U still won't be saved & will still fail to outsell the GC though.

Around the Network

Mario Kart 8 is the biggest thing that will ever happen to the Wii U.

Anything else will be a boost, but a smaller and temporary one.

Mind, the Smash Bros. boost will be conflated with the natural holiday boost, so we won't be able to perfectly isolate them. I'm sure this will create a lot of false causal arguments.

Not a chance....that it won't boost Wii U sales Massively.

But the momemtum will hopefully be kep from Jan - next Holidays using the power of TV marketed 1 game per month. +.

Also....Amiibo. That's a wild thing. And it has 0 hype relative to what Destiny had.

Yes, but it won't matter. If the sales are worse then expected we're just going to combine them with 3DS sales :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Like the poll shows, there is nothing massively overhyped, at least in this forum.

Most people expectations are on a strong sales in december with some increase on the hardware base line, but it won't change the destiny of the console, not alone anyway.

That said, given what Nintendo can do, Smash releasing on a great date with support of other games like Amiibo, Toad, Mario Kart DLC and Bayonetta 2, with next year looking hold this momentum with yoshi, Kirby and splatoon. It is a reasonable strategy, if no delays happen. Let's see if it pays off.

The Wii U is already saved, the rest of the world just doesn't want to believe it.

Also, that chalkboard; I'm embarrassed for the person who made it. Wonderful 101? Ubisoft?...