By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the impact Smash will have on Wii U sales being massively overhyped?

How much will Smash help Wii U sales?

Barely noticeable boost 53 13.59%

Big boost, but only temporary 259 66.41%

It will single-handedly save the Wii U 78 20.00%

Total:390

Smash will help for a bit and then Wii U will drop back down to 30-40k a week.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

There's no "saving" the Wii U. Outselling the Gamecube would be a great achievement at this point. Smash will help the Wii U but it won't magically change the console's fate.

Signature goes here!

I haven't seen many expecting the game to actually "save" the Wii U, so no, I don't it's "massively overhyped".

Get your head on straight. Nintendo has never been saved from anything ever. They are *ALWAYS* doomed!

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

sundin13 said:

There are times where I wish this forum had no rules so I could speak candidly....but alas, I must say: I respectfully disagree with this sentiment and wish you would please stop using it. I believe we have had this discussion before, but you don't seem to care that you sound ridiculous. Feel free to dislike the style but calling SM3DW a fake 3D Mario (or whatever you choose to mislabel it) is just plain silly

Good day

EDIT: I share the same sentiments toward the prase "save Wii U"...

I don't dislike the style. It's not a real 3D Mario. It's an isometric Mario. It's just rendered in 3D. It doesn't act on any of the same rules or mechanics of any of the real 3D Mario games. I'm not going to stop using it because it's fact. I shouldn't even have to use "real 3D" as a term, but since so many people only understand it as such, I will continue to use it. When anyone says "real 3D Mario," everyone, including you, know exactly what games I'm talking about and what games I'm not talking about. If I can get everyone to understand exactly what I am saying in just three words, why would I change that?

OT: I don't think it's overhyped so much as misguided. There's more to it than just Mario Kart and Smash.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
There's no "saving" the Wii U. Outselling the Gamecube would be a great achievement at this point. Smash will help the Wii U but it won't magically change the console's faith.

Which god does it have to believe in to be saved?

As a huge Nintendo guy and as optimistic as I like to generally be when talking about Nintendo, I really don't see Smash having much of a long term impact on sales. I just don't see the Wii U ever selling well, as much as I wish it would. However, I do believe Smash will keep the Xbox One from passing the Wii U before the end of the year. That's the only prediction I can make, however.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Only time will tell, as kljesta64 said

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

spemanig said:

I don't dislike the style. It's not a real 3D Mario. It's an isometric Mario. It's just rendered in 3D. It doesn't act on any of the same rules or mechanics of any of the real 3D Mario games. I'm not going to stop using it because it's fact. I shouldn't even have to use "real 3D" as a term, but since so many people only understand it as such, I will continue to use it. When anyone says "real 3D Mario," everyone, including you, know exactly what games I'm talking about and what games I'm not talking about. If I can get everyone to understand exactly what I am saying in just three words, why would I change that?

OT: I don't think it's overhyped so much as misguided. There's more to it than just Mario Kart and Smash.

Except you are clearly using the term "real 3D" as a value judgement, implying that a Galaxy style game is somehow inherently greater or more impactful than the 3DL/W style. Everybody acknowledges that 3DW is different in style than Galaxy (although galaxy was different than sunshine, which was different than 64), but that does not mean it isn't "real 3D"

And the term "real 3D" is still BS, whether or not I know what you mean. 

super_etecoon said:
TruckOSaurus said:
There's no "saving" the Wii U. Outselling the Gamecube would be a great achievement at this point. Smash will help the Wii U but it won't magically change the console's faith.

Which god does it have to believe in to be saved?

Damn! I don't usually make mistakes like these. I feel dirty now.

Signature goes here!