By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the impact Smash will have on Wii U sales being massively overhyped?

How much will Smash help Wii U sales?

Barely noticeable boost 53 13.59%

Big boost, but only temporary 259 66.41%

It will single-handedly save the Wii U 78 20.00%

Total:390

Nintendo knows what it needs to do in order to make the WiiU a great selling console, but I'm not sure that they're really that interested. The market is changing. They need to get ahead of it, rather then provide what the old market wants.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
I don't think the Wii U has a chance without a real 3D Mario and Zelda to back it up. The Wii had those in the first year. The Wii U won't for at least the first three.

3D mario has never been a big console seller for Nintendo

Nor has Zelda

bigtakilla said:

But yet the burned smashed table manages to work the best as a table (games critically rate higher). Lol. IT IS JUST LIKE IKEA!

HAHAHA so true.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Even when the Wii U was in its first year and sales were poor, people were saying, "The Gamecube had Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and 3D Mario. Those games didn't save it." So, no. I don't think anybody is expecting Smash to save the day. Only a Pokemon MMO can do that.

Temporary boost

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Wii U sales are already back to sub-100k levels after a month of Mario Kart 8's release. Nintendo can "aim" to do whatever they want, consumers are the ones who are voting with their wallets though. 

Wii U sales will be back in the gutter by Jan/Feb 2015, and there's not anything Smash is going to do to change that IMO. I could be wrong but Wii U sales for September 2014 were actually *down* year over year even with Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors ... there is no momentum here at all. 

You could be, and are wrong. Wii U sales for September were up yoy. That was a nice argument, but none of your proof works.

ninjaman003 said:
Soundwave said:

Wii U sales are already back to sub-100k levels after a month of Mario Kart 8's release. Nintendo can "aim" to do whatever they want, consumers are the ones who are voting with their wallets though. 

Wii U sales will be back in the gutter by Jan/Feb 2015, and there's not anything Smash is going to do to change that IMO. I could be wrong but Wii U sales for September 2014 were actually *down* year over year even with Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors ... there is no momentum here at all. 

You could be, and are wrong. Wii U sales for September were up yoy. That was a nice argument, but none of your proof works.

Wii U was roughly 95k for September 2013. Pretty sure it is down this year. In any case Wii U's monthly sales are very poor pretty much all the time anyway. 

Even the GameCube in its first 3/4 years rarely dipped into the sub-100k/month territory ... for Wii U that's basically the norm, outside of holiday months I believe its only ever topped 100k once in its lifespan (June 2014 w/Mario Kart 8) and then slid right back to sub-100k. 

Soundwave said:

Wii U was roughly 95k for September 2013. Pretty sure it is down this year. In any case Wii U's monthly sales are very poor pretty much all the time anyway. 

Even the GameCube in its first 3/4 years rarely dipped into the sub-100k/month territory ... for Wii U that's basically the norm, outside of holiday months I believe its only ever topped 100k once in its lifespan (June 2014 w/Mario Kart 8) and then slid right back to sub-100k. 

You're not wrong in saying that this wasn't a very good month, but last year's September wasn't either. According to VGChartz the yoy is up. Unless you're one of those people who completely disagrees with the site's numbers, but still goes on the site.

ninjaman003 said:
Soundwave said:

You're not wrong in saying that this wasn't a very good month, but last year's September wasn't either. According to VGChartz the yoy is up. Unless you're one of those people who completely disagrees with the site's numbers, but still goes on the site.

NPD data shows its down slightly year over year even with Mario Kart + Hyrule Warriors (95k last year vs. 89k this year). 

Every month is "bad" for the Wii U, this September or last September ... they're all par for the course, every month is basically a sub-100k month unless its Nov/Dec. 

The Wii U is just like the fat guy who checks himself on a weight scale every day ... every day the weight is going to be "bad", some days just might be better relatively than others. 

Soundwave said:
ninjaman003 said:
Soundwave said:

NPD data shows its down slightly year over year even with Mario Kart + Hyrule Warriors (95k last year vs. 89k this year). 

Every month is "bad" for the Wii U, this September or last September ... they're all par for the course, every month is basically a sub-100k month unless its Nov/Dec. 

The Wii U is just like the fat guy who checks himself on a weight scale every day ... every day the weight is going to be "bad", some days just might be better relatively than others. 

Does NPD have their own site with a lot of comparative tools, or does it just have raw numbers?