By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the impact Smash will have on Wii U sales being massively overhyped?

How much will Smash help Wii U sales?

Barely noticeable boost 53 13.59%

Big boost, but only temporary 259 66.41%

It will single-handedly save the Wii U 78 20.00%

Total:390

Actually Septembers tend to be reasonably "ok" by Wii U standards ... anything in the 80-90k for a month range for the Wii U is actually not bad (by Wii U standards only).

Around the Network

I believe that Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 will help Wii U greatly during the holiday season. The Amiibo characters will probably do them well too. However, I also believe that those who own a Wii U are already getting Smash Bros. So the 7.4 Million people who own one, most of them that are Smash fans are getting the game. I expect around 2M from November 21st-December 31st I may be wrong but due to this, I can't see Wii U barely getting past Gamecube sales. The console's name and the overall lack of sufficient marketing have killed the console before it even came out the gate.

curl-6 said:
That's what they said about Mario Kart 8.
So much crow was served to the haters and doubters, it was glorious.

wut?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Mummelmann said:
There is no savior to be found, which has been clear for some time now. I think that Smash will do very well and the Wii U will have a decent holiday, we'll see grand predictions of massive growth for 2015 and then, come january and february, hardware sales will collapse again, quite possibly leading into a year with no growth or even down yoy on 2014.
The fact that the Wii U has been given the last chance about a dozen times already should be very telling.

That's what I think, but let's have some patience and see (yet again).

i dont think sales will be massive but i do believe Wii U can sell better in 2015 than it did this year assuming that a few things happen.

1. Smash Bros+Amiibo+Mario Kart holiday boost is enough to give some momentum into Q1 2015.

2. better pacing of 1st/2nd party titles. this year it was DKC-Feb, MK8-May, HW-Sept. great games but 3-4 month gaps kills any type of momentum. if they can release a high profile exlsuive every 1.5-2 months in the non holiday months then maybe we can Wii U hold onto some momentum.

3. year round advertising. this kinda goes along with point number 2, its hard to advertise a console throughout the year when its goes 3-4 months between major releases. yesr round advertising along with major release should help Wii U stay in consumers minds.

4. price cut. Wii U still hasnt really recieved a true price cut, the basic model launched at $299 and the price now is still $299, it does pack quite a bit more value now but the fact remains that the official MSRP is still the same as it was at launch. a $50 price cut in May alongside a somewhat big game like Mario Maker and a bundle can potentially cause Wii U to have a similar late spring/early summer boost that MK8 gave it this year.

its far from gauranteed but if all these things happen then i could see Wii U having a better year next year, nothing amazing but better nonetheless. 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Err ... what long term sales boost has the Wii U really gotten from MK8? It gave the Wii U one month of sales above 100k in the North America and then it was right back to sub-100k mediocre sales by August. That's not a huge boost, it's huge only in the sense that the original Wii U baseline is so low. 

I think actually Wii U sales as stated above are lower for September 2014 vs. September 2013 ... which is pretty sad actually. 

People kept on claiming it would give Wii U a "one or two week boost"; Wii U is still above it's pre-MK8 baseline over four months later. 

Around the Network

animal crosing on wii u will save it

Giggs_11 said:

Yes, that was a neat way to say that out of 3 itinerations, MK outsold SSB twice and was outlsod once. But it is more "doomy" if you say it happened "on almost every console they've both appeared on, with just one exception".

Yeah, that's what I thought, and is also why I have a tough time taking the OP seriously. It seems to be a classic case of swinging data to reach a desired conclusion. Hardly an unbiased outlook...

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Err ... what long term sales boost has the Wii U really gotten from MK8? It gave the Wii U one month of sales above 100k in the North America and then it was right back to sub-100k mediocre sales by August. That's not a huge boost, it's huge only in the sense that the original Wii U baseline is so low. 

I think actually Wii U sales as stated above are lower for September 2014 vs. September 2013 ... which is pretty sad actually. 

People kept on claiming it would give Wii U a "one or two week boost"; Wii U is still above it's pre-MK8 baseline over four months later. 

That "new" baseline is still very mediocre and baseline sales tend to go higher as you get into August/September/October anyway, so some increase is to be expected just because of the time of year. 

It gave the system a good 4 week boost I'd say and then settled back down into it's usually sub-100k mediocrity fairly quickly afterwards. 

There's nothing here really worth celebrating, it would be like a sports team having a celebration that they only lost by 3 goals instead of 4. 

Unless the Wii U can somehow chalk up more then a dozen games each year there will be no cure for it's low sales. Nintendo can't do it all by themselves, they need some 3rd party support to decrease the drought between each release.

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

That "new" baseline is still very mediocre and baseline sales tend to go higher as you get into August/September/October anyway, so some increase is to be expected just because of the time of year. 

It gave the system a good 4 week boost I'd say and then settled back down into it's usually sub-100k mediocrity fairly quickly afterwards. 

There's nothing here really worth celebrating, it would be like a sports team having a celebration that they only lost by 3 goals instead of 4. 

It wasn't a 4 week boost, it was still nearly double its pre-MK8 standard 11 weeks in. It still hasn't dropped back to the mid-low 30s yet, and it's been 18 weeks.

That's the point; that it was very commonly claimed it would be a short boost, and these people were just plain wrong.