By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP's is killing their brand

GTAexpert said:

That is still very low, if you don't count e-shop games.

Even my list is incomplete, so its all fair.

Oh really?

This is NOT a complete list, but here is Nintendo's perfomance over the last gen and half way through this gen. I am positive that I can add many more into the list. Compare the number of games and critical reception of Nintendo's offering against Sony's, and you will see there is simply no competition (in favor of the big N)

3D Platformers:

Super Mario Galaxy 97

Super Mario Galazy 97

Super Mario 3D land 90

Super Mario 3D World 93 

2d Platformer

New Super Mario Bros 89

New Super Mario Bros Wii 87

Kirby's Epic Yarn 86

New Super Mario Bros U 84

Donkey Kong Country 87

Donkey Kong Country TF 83

Turn Base Strategy

Advance Wars Dual Strike 90

Advance Wars Day of Ruin 86

Fire Emblem Awakening 92

Action/Adventure 

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess 95

Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword 93

The Legend of Zelda Ocairina of time 3d 94

The legend of Zelda A link between worlds 90

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass 90

Luigi's mansion dark moon 88

Zelda Spirit tracks 87

Fighter

Super Smash Bros Brawl 93

Super Smash Bros For 3ds 85

Punch-out 87

Shooters

Metroid Prime Hunters 86

Metroid Prime Corruption 90

Rail Shooter/ Other Shooters

Sin and Punishment Star Sucessor 87

Kid Icarus 82

RPG's

Xenoblade 92

Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside story 90

Pokemon y 88

Pokemon White 87

Pokemon Soul Silver 87

Super Paper Mario 85

Racers

Mario Kart DS 90

Mario Kart 8 88

Mario Kart Wii 82

Excite trucks 72

Excite Bots 77

Sims

Animal Crossing Wild World 87

Animal Crossing New leaf 88

Tomodachi Life

Puzzles 

Pushmo 90

Sports/other sports

Mario Strikers Wii 79

Mario tennis open 69

Mario golf world tour 78

Real Time Strategy

Pikmin 3 87

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
GTAexpert said:

That is still very low, if you don't count e-shop games.

Even my list is incomplete, so its all fair.

Oh really?

This is NOT a complete list, but here is Nintendo's perfomance over the last gen and half way through this gen. I am positive that I can add many more into the list. Compare the number of games and critical reception of Nintendo's offering against Sony's, and you will see there is simply no competition (in favor of the big N)

3D Platformers:

Super Mario Galaxy 97

Super Mario Galazy 97

Super Mario 3D land 90

Super Mario 3D World 93 

2d Platformer

New Super Mario Bros 89

New Super Mario Bros Wii 87

Kirby's Epic Yarn 86

New Super Mario Bros U 84

Donkey Kong Country 87

Donkey Kong Country TF 83

Turn Base Strategy

Advance Wars Dual Strike 90

Advance Wars Day of Ruin 86

Fire Emblem Awakening 92

Action/Adventure 

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess 95

Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword 93

The Legend of Zelda Ocairina of time 3d 94

The legend of Zelda A link between worlds 90

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass 90

Luigi's mansion dark moon 88

Zelda Spirit tracks 87

Fighter

Super Smash Bros Brawl 93

Super Smash Bros For 3ds 85

Punch-out 87

Shooters

Metroid Prime Hunters 86

Metroid Prime Corruption 90

Rail Shooter/ Other Shooters

Sin and Punishment Star Sucessor 87

Kid Icarus 82

RPG's

Xenoblade 92

Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside story 90

Pokemon y 88

Pokemon White 87

Pokemon Soul Silver 87

Super Paper Mario 85

Racers

Mario Kart DS 90

Mario Kart 8 88

Mario Kart Wii 82

Excite trucks 72

Excite Bots 77

Sims

Animal Crossing Wild World 87

Animal Crossing New leaf 88

Tomodachi Life

Puzzles 

Pushmo 90

Sports/other sports

Mario Strikers Wii 79

Mario tennis open 69

Mario golf world tour 78

Real Time Strategy

Pikmin 3 87

That is a very unimpressive list of games, not due to their scores, but they just look very unappealing to me. Let's take a look at Sony's best games in 7th and 8th gen. I've bolded games which got scores over 90, and only included the ones which atleast got an 80.

FPS:

Killzone 2 - 91

Killzone 3 - 84

Resistance: Fall Of Man - 86

Resistance 2 - 87

Resistance 3 - 83

TPS:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 88

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 96

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 92

Socom: Fireteam Bravo - 82

Socom: Fireteam Bravo 2 -81

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror - 87

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow - 85

Resistance: Retribution - 81

Hack N Slash:

God Of War: Chains Of Olympus - 91

God Of War III - 92

God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta - 86

God Of War: Ascension - 80

Simulation Racing:

Gran Turismo 5 - 84

Gran Turismo 6 - 81

Arcade Racing:

MotorStorm - 84

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift - 82

Wipeout: Pulse - 82

Wipeout: Pure - 88

Wipeout HD - 87

ModNation Racers - 82

2D Platformer:

LittleBigPlanet - 95

LittleBigPlanet 2 - 91

LittleBigPlanet (PSP) - 87

LittleBigPlanet PS Vita - 88

Loco Roco - 83

Loco Roco 2 - 85

3D Platformer:

Daxter - 85

Ratchet And Clank: Size Matters - 85

Ratchet And Clank Future: A Crack In Time - 87

Ratchet And Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction - 89

Sports:

MLB 08: The Show - 85

MLB 09: The Show - 90

MLB 10: The Show - 91

MLB 11: The Show - 90

MLB 12: The Show - 87

MLB 13: The Show - 87

MLB 14: The Show - 81

Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds - 81

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee - 81

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 - 82

Survival Horror:

The Last of Us - 95

Adventure:

Gravity Rush - 83

Tearaway - 87

Patapon - 86

Patapon 2 - 81

GTAexpert said:

That is a very unimpressive list of games, not due to their scores, but they just look very unappealing to me. Let's take a look at Sony's best games in 7th and 8th gen. I've bolded games which got scores over 90, and only included the ones which atleast got an 80.

Well I am not using personal opinion and taste. I am using an objective criteria (i.e that is number of games across genre and quality). Evidence suggest that Nintendo has Sony beat. Sorry friend

mii-gamer said:
GTAexpert said:

Well I am not using personal opinion and taste. I am using an objective criteria (i.e that is number of games across genre and quality). Evidence suggest that Nintendo has Sony beat. Sorry friend

You should look at my list again. Sony has beaten Nintendo hands down.

GTAexpert said:
mii-gamer said:
GTAexpert said:

You should look at my list again. Sony has beaten Nintendo hands down.

By what standards? You aren't exactly putting forth a convincing argument

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:

Even though your list has the higher average; what strikes me is that it also depicts the OP's thread title. It shows Nintendo's incredible reliance on the same mascots and franchises, almost every new IP they have attempted in the past decade has been tiny budget casual fare like Wii Sports or has become very niche (W 101) and unable to carry the platform.

As much talent as they have and as much heat as MS and Sony get for all their shooters and racers; Nintendo can be conisdered a pretty boring developer all in all and they are well known for not tasking risks on behalf of their audience or other developers who could provide more variety in their software library.

Mummelmann said:
mii-gamer said:

Even though your list has the higher average; what strikes me is that it also depicts the OP's thread title. It shows Nintendo's incredible reliance on the same mascots and franchises, almost every new IP they have attempted in the past decade has been tiny budget casual fare like Wii Sports or has become very niche (W 101) and unable to carry the platform.

As much talent as they have and as much heat as MS and Sony get for all their shooters and racers; Nintendo can be conisdered a pretty boring developer all in all and they are well known for not tasking risks on behalf of their audience or other developers who could provide more variety in their software library.

Well, I agree that Nintendo needs to extend their franchise base beyond what they have now. That's why their "Garage" initiative is an exciting prospect with Splatoon being the first game of such initiative.

@bold, I disagree. Excuse my bias, there is simply no single publisher or developer that has their fingers dipped into so many genre and have the same qaulity as Nintendo. Unless you can point one out to me

mii-gamer said:
Mummelmann said:

Well, I agree that Nintendo needs to extend their franchise base beyond what they have now. That's why their "Garage" initiative is an exciting prospect with Splatoon being the first game of such initiative.

@bold, I disagree. Excuse my bias, there is simply no single publisher or developer that has their fingers dipped into so many genre and have the same qaulity as Nintendo. Unless you can point one out to me

And that's not what I said at all; my point is that with Nintendo's, by now famous, poor relations to 3rd party developers, they are missing out on a lot of potential games that could offer more breadth in the overall software libraries of their consoles.

As for your comment itself; I think Valve and Blizzard, and probably more, could be said to have the same quality games that Nintendo do, not as broad though.

With the poor support we're seeing Nintendo get; it falls all the more on them to provide this variety and try out new concepts and IP's (that aren't five dollar projects like Wii Sports and Nintendoland or contain Mario, Zelda or the other mascots for once and that don't end up as niche releases).

Mummelmann said:
mii-gamer said:
Mummelmann said:

And that's not what I said at all; my point is that with Nintendo's, by now famous, poor relations to 3rd party developers, they are missing out on a lot of potential games that could offer more breadth in the overall software libraries of their consoles.

As for your comment itself; I think Valve and Blizzard, and probably more, could be said to have the same quality games that Nintendo do, not as broad though.

With the poor support we're seeing Nintendo get; it falls all the more on them to provide this variety and try out new concepts and IP's (that aren't five dollar projects like Wii Sports and Nintendoland or contain Mario, Zelda or the other mascots for once and that don't end up as niche releases).

At no point did you mention 3rd party relations in your original comment. The topic at hand is , which you expressed in your original comment, is extending nintendo's Ip base

new ips are not the problen neither are old ips.

the only BIG problem imo is that they have two platforms to feed and not enough manpower to do it properly.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.