By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forza Horizon 2 vs Driveclub: Which is the Better Exclusive Racer?

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

Its an open world racer no other game in the same genre penalizes you for going off track or cutting corners.  It still is skill based just like all other racing games if you don't have driving skills you will come in dead last in every race.

To sum up: Driveclub and Horizon are two completely different games and should never be compared. You can't take mechanics from Horizon and use them to say that Horizon is better than Driveclub and you can't take Driveclub mechanics to say it's better than Horizon.

Driveclub is great because it's an entirely skill based racer.

Horizon is great because it's a fun driving game with races.

See, the competion never existed.

Lol play the game yourself and you will find out very quickly that you need skills to be good at it just like in all other racing games or any game that feautres some types of races.  The only fun driving games with races is GTA, Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row the main objective in Horizon 2 is to enter and win races so its a racing game above anything else.  On top of that there is no such genre as driving games so pretty much everything you said is complete BS since the examples I mentioned earlier are 3rd person sandbox games/shooters above anything else.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

Its an open world racer no other game in the same genre penalizes you for going off track or cutting corners.  It still is skill based just like all other racing games if you don't have driving skills you will come in dead last in every race.

To sum up: Driveclub and Horizon are two completely different games and should never be compared. You can't take mechanics from Horizon and use them to say that Horizon is better than Driveclub and you can't take Driveclub mechanics to say it's better than Horizon.

I totally agree that Horizon and Drive Club are totally different games that focus on totally different aspect of gaming.  With that said, there are comparisions that can be made for arcade racers which both are.  Handling is something that is very important to a racer and DC only has one option.  Nothing really wrong with that but it does pose the problem where if someone is not happy with how the game plays then they cannot change it for the better.  Content is also something that make these racers shine.  Its very clear that DC is very bare bones in this department.  If you just go by the games that have released before DC and what is coming in a few months DC probably will be the least in this category.  

I do wonder if you took the graphics away from DC would we see such defense of the game.  Oh well, when it release for PS+ I will be first in line to see if I like or not like its driving model.  I have played the FH 2 Demo and I really like the way the game and cars feel but did not do very well in the off road stuff so its not something I really care about.

Chris Hu said:

Lol play the game yourself and you will find out very quickly that you need skills to be good at it just like in all other racing games or any game that feautres some types of races.  The only fun driving games with races is GTA, Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row the main objective in Horizon 2 is to enter and win races so its a racing game above anything else.  On top of that there is no such genre as driving games so pretty much everything you said is complete BS since the examples I mentioned earlier are 3rd person sandbox games/shooters above anything else.

Well if you're going to insist on using that criteria to evaluate the two titles I'm going to have to ammend my conclusion:

Driveclub is great because it's a completely skilled based game

Horizon is pretty good because it has some elements of skill when driving.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

I think a lot of people would like to know what kind of skills need to be mastered in DC.

I've been watching a lot of DC streams since 2 days before it got officially launched and I didn't see any Sim like features that would require masterful handling.

If anything DC should be competing with Need for Speed.

Goatseye said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

I think a lot of people would like to know what kind of skills need to be mastered in DC.

I've been watching a lot of DC streams since 2 days before it got officially launched and I didn't see any Sim like features that would require masterful handling.

If anything DC should be competing with Need for Speed.

You need to wait, the skill is needed at a future date when they release the weather.

Other than that, Chris, he's clearly just trolling you, should probably stop feeding him. I remember another #Driveclub thread he was predicting 10's. The 72-73 whatever metascore must be jarring.

Around the Network

Nope, not trolling but the guy that thinks that Horizon 2 involves no skills must be trolling or maybe he never played any type of racing game in his entire life.

It's kinda hard to really compare the two games, even though they're both racers, they're very different. But overall, I'd say Forza Horizon 2 is still a better game. I didn't played it for long (like 4-5 hours), but I really loved it.

DriveClub looks absolutely amazing and plays great. It's actually quite a lot of fun, and feels like an old-school racer.
But I just enjoy Forza Horizon 2 more, and it even made me consider the purchase of an Xbox One a bit earlier than I planned. It's gorgeous (but not as gorgeous as DC I'd say), it's Open World, there are tons of cars, it plays great, the musics are great, etc...

For me, Driveclub is a solid 7/10, but Forza Horizon 2 is a 8.5/10.

Must buy for Xbox One owners.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

I just played some more DC, it has the magic I was looking for. I was doing the Volkswagen challenge, one of the early events, beating a lap time on a Canadian circuit around a lake. Not too hard, yet it sucked me in. I didn't want to stop improving my lap times racing against my ghost while the sun slowly set.

Night driving is awesome, very well done. I turned the hud off for complete immersion, looks so good. Handling is great, it gets pretty challenging when you start pushing the boundaries. The game is very forgiving when you go off road, you have 3 seconds to get back to the road if you overshoot the corner. Minor corner cutting is allowed, only when you fully leave the road on the inside you get a speed penalty.

The car has good grip, yet you will still spin out when you push the boundaries and throw your weight around too quickly. It is very satisfying to nail a series of corners driving on the edge. Too bad I had to stop for dinner, I would have driven on to see the sunrise. Loving it so far.

I read a lot of posts since I got home a little while ago. There are people in this thread that are attacking Forza Horizon 2 for whatever reason. Suddenly, it should never have been compared to Drive Club and it's a different beast. Maybe FH2 is more like Mario Kart. I don't know. Haven't played it. I haven't played DC, either. FH1 was a great game in my opinion, though.

Anyway, before DC got its good but not spectacular scores, a lot of people were more than happy to compare the two. I can accept that they're different beasts with different agendas but if you're one of those people that wanted the comparison before and now you don't OR if you're one of those people that is defending one while attacking the other based solely on who created it, you know who you are and you know WHAT you are.

Peace.

Whichever one is on one's console of choice, of course. :P