By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forza Horizon 2 vs Driveclub: Which is the Better Exclusive Racer?

I hate to say it, but after having hands-on time with Drive Club it's not even a contender.

I wrote my hands on impressions in another thread:

Protendo said:

I'm having a hard time with Drive Club.

I love Arcade Racers, this is not an arcade racer. This is some bad hybrid I did not want. The most frustrating thing is the AI.
Cars hit you from behind, and you lose momentum but the AI doesn't slow down in the slightest. If you did the same thing
you'd be off the track. I have had far to many races end in a loss  because the AI hit me from behind and then they passed
me because they do not slow down but I did.  That is not fun, it is extremely frustrating.

It's also nearly impossible to pass people sometimes without hitting them and then you be penalized for speed and the AI
is not.

Controls are a problem as well. The cars grip at an unrealistic high level. You can't force drifts to save your life. Well maybe
 you can but it's incredibly difficult. 

This wasn't the racing game I was expecting. On the bright side it's by far the most beautiful and graphically impressive
racing game so far.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Bullsrun said:
Chris Hu said:

=LOL your a bad driver just face the facts and the only other driving games Horizon 2 really should be compared to is other open world driving game since that is what type of game it is and when it comes to open world driving games it more of a sim then any other game in the same genere and that is a fact.

Face facts you dont even know what in the hell you are arguing about, and keep crying the same baseless accusation since you lack a valid arguemnt.  Just goes to show everyone what you are.  

- I never comapred H2 to any game, you did by implying its handling is like F5s.  

- You are the one that compred it to a hardcore console sim not me, so why now is it we ony should only compare it to open world driving games ?

- And driving game ? i could swear you are arguing its a racing game.  Flip flop much dont you.  

Driving game/Racing game is really the same thing.  The main objective in Horizon 2 is still to win races so it a racing game first and foremost even though there is tons of other stuff to do.  Anyway the fact remains you are the only person on this site that has a major problem with the driving/physics in the game.

And care to anwser the other points, or is avoiding reality your way of constructive arguments adding to flip flops and moving goal posts.  

I dont have a problem with them, they are arcade fakeness for ease of use.  You were the one that was arguing for them being simulated realism.  

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

How about actually playing the game before concluding its not a skilled based game. 

But it can't be skill based, it's an open world driving game and everyone can just drive in a straight line if they so wish. Ok, perhaps someone hits a tree you managed to avoid or hits on coming traffic. Maybe you could luck out and find a barn with a faster car, but that's not skill based, that's just having a car faster than your opponents so that you can take that straight line faster.

Its not a driving game the main objective is to enter and win races so its a racing game.

Protendo said:

I hate to say it, but after having hands-on time with Drive Club it's not even a contender.

Protendo said:

I love Arcade Racers, this is not an arcade racer. This is some bad hybrid I did not want. The most frustrating thing is the AI.
Cars hit you from behind, and you lose momentum but the AI doesn't slow down in the slightest. If you did the same thing
you'd be off the track. I have had far to many races end in a loss  because the AI hit me from behind and then they passed
me because they do not slow down but I did.  That is not fun, it is extremely frustrating.

It's also nearly impossible to pass people sometimes without hitting them and then you be penalized for speed and the AI
is not.

Controls are a problem as well. The cars grip at an unrealistic high level. You can't force drifts to save your life. Well maybe

This wasn't the racing game I was expecting. On the bright side it's by far the most beautiful and graphically impressive
racing game so far.

Its not an arcade racer, its very much sim/cade.  They been pretty honest about it.  

Its easy to pass just use different driving line or go in hard brake hard and then cut them of or go through small bends all out just aim for the space carefully.  Certain cars are much better for driftin, or just hard in use handbrake and power through the corner.  Use a 3s BMW, those are quite tail happy and you should have got it early in the game.  

What were you expecting then ? NFS like or GT ?

Chris Hu said:

Its not a driving game the main objective is to enter and win races so its a racing game.

Explain to me what skills you use to win. If three cars drive from one point to the next and all three are identical, what methods of getting that edge do you employ in Horizon?

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Bullsrun said:
Chris Hu said:
Bullsrun said:
Chris Hu said:

=LOL your a bad driver just face the facts and the only other driving games Horizon 2 really should be compared to is other open world driving game since that is what type of game it is and when it comes to open world driving games it more of a sim then any other game in the same genere and that is a fact.

Face facts you dont even know what in the hell you are arguing about, and keep crying the same baseless accusation since you lack a valid arguemnt.  Just goes to show everyone what you are.  

- I never comapred H2 to any game, you did by implying its handling is like F5s.  

- You are the one that compred it to a hardcore console sim not me, so why now is it we ony should only compare it to open world driving games ?

- And driving game ? i could swear you are arguing its a racing game.  Flip flop much dont you.  

Driving game/Racing game is really the same thing.  The main objective in Horizon 2 is still to win races so it a racing game first and foremost even though there is tons of other stuff to do.  Anyway the fact remains you are the only person on this site that has a major problem with the driving/physics in the game.

And care to anwser the other points, or is avoiding reality your way of constructive arguments adding to flip flops and moving goal posts.  

I dont have a problem with them, they are arcade fakeness for ease of use.  You were the one that was arguing for them being simulated realism.  

Well pretty much every reviewer thinks its more of a sim then arcade racer so on that point I trust the experts.  Since I'm not a professional race car driver in real life and so is pretty much everyone that has played the game.  And the fact is that is uses the same engine as Forza 5 and the cars pretty much handle the same in both games if its not the case for you maybe you need to adjust some of the games settings or try to become a better tuner.

Bullsrun said:
Protendo said:

Protendo said:

is not.

racing game so far.

Its not an arcade racer, its very much sim/cade.  They been pretty honest about it.  

Its easy to pass just use different driving line or go in hard brake hard and then cut them of or go through small bends all out just aim for the space carefully.  Certain cars are much better for driftin, or just hard in use handbrake and power through the corner.  Use a 3s BMW, those are quite tail happy and you should have got it early in the game.  

What were you expecting then ? NFS like or GT ?

It's the penalty system that kills it for me.  The fact that you get penalized but the AI doesn't drives me nuts.  You get penalised for the AI hitting you but they do not, which slows you down, but they keep going unempended by the penalty that they caused.  I'm not the best racing game player, I like the genre, but I'm nowhere near pro.  This has been the most frustrating experience I have had in a long time.  Things like going through the terrain to find shortcuts gets you penallized is annoying as well. 

I feel like they are penalizing the player for bad game design, and I don't have to like that.

I honestly have no idea what I was expecting.  I was hoping for something more like Sega Rally 2.  I like games like GT, Forza, Sega Rally, etc. but the game mechanics in Drive Club annoy me and have ruined my experience.  Wish I would of waited for the free version now.

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

Explain to me what skills you use to win. If three cars drive from one point to the next and all three are identical, what methods of getting that edge do you employ in Horizon?

Better driving skills.

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

How about actually playing the game before concluding its not a skilled based game. 

But it can't be skill based, it's an open world driving game and everyone can just drive in a straight line if they so wish. Ok, perhaps someone hits a tree you managed to avoid or hits on coming traffic. Maybe you could luck out and find a barn with a faster car, but that's not skill based, that's just having a car faster than your opponents so that you can take that straight line faster.

Idk, I think driving in a straight line in Horizon 2 is just going to put you in last place every single race. Maybe watch a video so you aren't this confused in the future? You apparently think Horizon 2 is some off road drag strip simulator. It's like NASCAR, it has turns! They're awesome.

Protendo said:

It's the penalty system that kills it for me.  The fact that you get penalized but the AI doesn't drives me nuts.  You get penalised for the AI hitting you but they do not, which slows you down, but they keep going unempended by the penalty that they caused.  I'm not the best racing game player, I like the genre, but I'm nowhere near pro.  This has been the most frustrating experience I have had in a long time.  Things like going through the terrain to find shortcuts gets you penallized is annoying as well. 

I feel like they are penalizing the play for bad game design, and I don't have to like that.

I honestly have no idea what I was expecting.  I was hoping for something more like Sega Rally 2.  I like games like GT, Forza, Sega Rally, etc.  This game mechanics in Drive Club just annoy me.

Sounds like it to sim for you not enough arcade or to much hmm not sure.  I crash hard into them and hardly get a penalty when i do i knew i would.

There are frustrations but for me they are similar to sim games.  The only legit frustration i have is no reply button, some times i screw up late and the race is wasted.  Other wise its all easy, use a good line and all the issues you have will be gone.  

Iv never got a penalty for the ai hitting me, and i race as if its bumper care lol.  A habbit from old GT games.