By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forza Horizon 2 vs Driveclub: Which is the Better Exclusive Racer?

Protendo said:

I hate to say it, but after having hands-on time with Drive Club it's not even a contender.

I wrote my hands on impressions in another thread:

Protendo said:

I'm having a hard time with Drive Club.

I love Arcade Racers, this is not an arcade racer. This is some bad hybrid I did not want. The most frustrating thing is the AI.
Cars hit you from behind, and you lose momentum but the AI doesn't slow down in the slightest. If you did the same thing
you'd be off the track. I have had far to many races end in a loss  because the AI hit me from behind and then they passed
me because they do not slow down but I did.  That is not fun, it is extremely frustrating.

It's also nearly impossible to pass people sometimes without hitting them and then you be penalized for speed and the AI
is not.

Controls are a problem as well. The cars grip at an unrealistic high level. You can't force drifts to save your life. Well maybe
 you can but it's incredibly difficult. 

This wasn't the racing game I was expecting. On the bright side it's by far the most beautiful and graphically impressive
racing game so far.

Sounds terrible. Nothing frustrates me more in a racer than AI cars being juggernauts able to just plow into me with no effect on them meanwhile I am sent off the road or slowed down.

I have read loads of similar complaints about the handling, plus some bad stuff about AI being extremely shitty and predictable in general. Overall just seems like a complete waste of potential.

Should have made a next gen Motorstorm. Would have been epic.

Around the Network
Bullsrun said:
Protendo said:

It's the penalty system that kills it for me.  The fact that you get penalized but the AI doesn't drives me nuts.  You get penalised for the AI hitting you but they do not, which slows you down, but they keep going unempended by the penalty that they caused.  I'm not the best racing game player, I like the genre, but I'm nowhere near pro.  This has been the most frustrating experience I have had in a long time.  Things like going through the terrain to find shortcuts gets you penallized is annoying as well. 

I feel like they are penalizing the play for bad game design, and I don't have to like that.

I honestly have no idea what I was expecting.  I was hoping for something more like Sega Rally 2.  I like games like GT, Forza, Sega Rally, etc.  This game mechanics in Drive Club just annoy me.

Sounds like it to sim for you not enough arcade or to much hmm not sure.  I crash hard into them and hardly get a penalty when i do i knew i would.

There are frustrations but for me they are similar to sim games.  The only legit frustration i have is no reply button, some times i screw up late and the race is wasted.  Other wise its all easy, use a good line and all the issues you have will be gone.  

Iv never got a penalty for the ai hitting me, and i race as if its bumper care lol.  A habbit from old GT games.  

You sound like a pro racer, I'm a casual racer.

Two different type of players, two different experiences playing the game.  Maybe that's why reviews are so divided.  

I don't think it's a sim things because I did not have the same problem with GT5 (skipped 6) or Forza Motorsports.

Chris Hu said:

Better driving skills.

Like what? In Driveclub you have to know how to take a corner, what the conditions are on that corner, what sort of surface is either side of that corner, when to reduce speed, break, accelerate out of that corner, what line another driver might take on the same corner while you are considering your options, when to put your foot down and when to play it safe, to name but a few. In Horizon you have to hope someone has a slower car than you, avoid the trees, hope the wheat doesn't hold you up, hope another driver hits that tree you avoided, to name but a few. One of those is a skilled based racer and the other is a driving game.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

Better driving skills.

Like what? In Driveclub you have to know how to take a corner, what the conditions are on that corner, what sort of surface is either side of that corner, when to reduce speed, break, accelerate out of that corner, what line another driver might take on the same corner while you are considering your options, when to put your foot down and when to play it safe, to name but a few. In Horizon you have to hope someone has a slower car than you, avoid the trees, hope the wheat doesn't hold you up, hope another driver hits that tree you avoided, to name but a few. One of those is a skilled based racer and the other is a driving game.

Like I said before 75% of the races only take place on roads so most of the stuff you mentioned doesn't come into play and on top of that you need driving skills to avoid major obstacles like trees and the like.  You can't just cut corners left and right because every course be it all roads or a mix of on road and off road has numerous check points you need to drive through.

Chris Hu said:

Like I said before 75% of the races only take place on roads so most of the stuff you mentioned doesn't come into play and on top of that you need driving skills to avoid major obstacles like trees and the like.  You can't just cut corners left and right because every course be it all roads or a mix of on road and off road has numerous check points you need to drive through.

Ok, so we've established that to be a skilled based racing game, Horizon has to be like Driveclub, which is a 100% skill based racing game. Now we've established that, I expect the argument that Horizon is a better 'racing' game because you can drive through corn fields will stop.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

Ok, so we've established that to be a skilled based racing game, Horizon has to be like Driveclub, which is a 100% skill based racing game. Now we've established that, I expect the argument that Horizon is a better 'racing' game because you can drive through corn fields will stop.

Lol whatever, only because the cars in Horzion 2 are upgradable and tuneable doesn't mean that its not a skill based game.  If you want more of a skill based challenge then don't upgrade your car and up the difficulty of the AI and turn off all the driving assists.

Chris Hu said:

Lol whatever, only because the cars in Horzion 2 are upgradable and tuneable doesn't mean that its not a skill based game.  If you want more of a skill based challenge then don't upgrade your car and up the difficulty of the AI and turn off all the driving assists.

But, like you said, if you up the difficulty and turn off the driving assists, to test yourself as a skilled driver, you HAVE to race within the limitations of a road just like you have to in Driveclub. Why then is Horizon a better 'racing' game than Driveclub because clearly, the moment you start ploughing through a corn field, it's no longer a 'racing' game because you need the limitations of the road for it to be defined as such. Basically Horizon doesn't know what it's meant to be.

The PS5 Exists. 

Chris Hu said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

Better driving skills.

So basically you're taking the skill based typical on road racing elements and combining them with the strategy and exhilaration of offroad racing, without any speed penalties or countdowns for actually you know, racing.

No wonder it scored so much better.

LudicrousSpeed said:

So basically you're taking the skill based typical on road racing elements and combining them with the strategy and exhilaration of offroad racing, without any speed penalties or countdowns for actually you know, racing.

No wonder it scored so much better.

Exactly. Horizon is a game designed for casuals and Driveclub is a game designed for hardcore racers.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Chris Hu said:

But, like you said, if you up the difficulty and turn off the driving assists, to test yourself as a skilled driver, you HAVE to race within the limitations of a road just like you have to in Driveclub. Why then is Horizon a better 'racing' game than Driveclub because clearly, the moment you start ploughing through a corn field, it's no longer a 'racing' game because you need the limitations of the road for it to be defined as such. Basically Horizon doesn't know what it's meant to be.

It is what it is which is the best open world racing game on the market right now.  I'm pretty sure Need For Speed sat out a year for a reason and I doubt The Crew will be better either.