By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - REmake Vs Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Tagged games:

Which transitioned better to the Gamecube?

Resident Evil. 53 67.09%

Metal Gear Solid. 26 32.91%

Total:79

Your'e about 10 years too late with this topic.

Around the Network

Metroid33slayer said:

I don't get it.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Metroid33slayer said:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Metroid33slayer said:

I guess we're not allowed to discuss older games or what?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Guitarguy said:

Twin Snakes sucked. Graphically it was nice but the new voice acting was worse, the cinematic scenes was far too over the top and the incorporated moves(hanging off rails, first person aiming mode, being able to shoot from cover etc) from MGS2 made the game far less of a challenge and diluted the experience. 

I think the game gets too much hate for it's voice acting and cutscenes, though I agree with your other faults.

For the voice acting they did get all of the original voice actors to come back, Hayter even taking a pay cut to budget in their return.  And while some didn't like the changes they made with characters (like Mei Ling missing her heavy accent) they did use the same interpretation of Mei Ling's voice from Twin Snakes again for MGS4 (since she was born in America).

As for the cutscenes, some people like to think of Twin Snakes as a retelling of the events of MGS through the eyes of Otacon.  The exaggeration being part of his enthusiasm and admiration of Snake.  Overall you have to think of the Twin Snakes as a different entity than the original because it wasn't meant to be a carbon copy graphical upgrade of MGS.  Plus Kojima wanted it to be different, that's the reason he chose Kitamura to do the cinematics in the first place.

Around the Network

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes is the worst remake ever.
Gameplay mechanics not fitting with in-game maps, it got framerate problems, voice acting actually terrible compared to the PS1 one, terrible beat soundtrack /except for some bosses), lack of additional modes, unbalanced difficulty (the second boss is actually harder than the Metal Gear), it has some problems in shadow effects and graphics are always SO BLUE and facial expressions/lip-sync are almost non-existing ... it's just a mess.

Oh yeah, and those cutscenes...

Just... eww.

Anyway it's fun messing around in Shadow Moses with MGS2 gameplay (which is my favorite one in the series), but that's it.

PS: It was a good chance to correct the censored dialogue about Meryl's rape... but of course they didn't ! They even censored the dialogue between Snake and Otacon about Meryl's butt ! 

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...  

That's not some random explosion.  Snake threw a grenade on the ground to help propel himself up and away from the gunfire, it was the only logical thing for him to do..

=P

While i wanted to say RE.. Cause its an great game.. But its just the same old RE.. I'm actually gonna say MGS.. Back then it was so cinematic.. I can't remember a game before that which was this blockbuster cinematic.. Not even mgs2.., and bonus points for MGS for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mQKZMOzLs

And a nice articile back from 2004 on remakes:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-02-24/features/0402240013_1_silicon-knights-metal-gear-konami

We showed that writer.. No remakes, we now just port last gen stuff..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

The difference between these two games is that one is a remake an unintentionally hilarious game, and the other is remade as one.

foxtail said:

Guitarguy said:

Twin Snakes sucked. Graphically it was nice but the new voice acting was worse, the cinematic scenes was far too over the top and the incorporated moves(hanging off rails, first person aiming mode, being able to shoot from cover etc) from MGS2 made the game far less of a challenge and diluted the experience. 

I think the game gets too much hate for it's voice acting and cutscenes, though I agree with your other faults.

For the voice acting they did get all of the original voice actors to come back, Hayter even taking a pay cut to budget in their return.  And while some didn't like the changes they made with characters (like Mei Ling missing her heavy accent) they did use the same interpretation of Mei Ling's voice from Twin Snakes again for MGS4 (since she was born in America).

As for the cutscenes, some people like to think of Twin Snakes as a retelling of the events of MGS through the eyes of Otacon.  The exaggeration being part of his enthusiasm and admiration of Snake.  Overall you have to think of the Twin Snakes as a different entity than the original because it wasn't meant to be a carbon copy graphical upgrade of MGS.  Plus Kojima wanted it to be different, that's the reason he chose Kitamura to do the cinematics in the first place.

Fair call, the voice acting is a minor gripe of mine. I think all the original cast came back except for the individual who voiced Gray Fox, either it was a different actor altogether or the performance lacked the passion and hurt. Mei Ling's original accent was missed also. Those things are secondary to actual gameplay however and I do feel that by incorporating MGS2's control and gameplay mechanics into the game, without increasing the amount of soldiers, AI and difficulty, made the game so much less rewarding.