By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - REmake Vs Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Tagged games:

Which transitioned better to the Gamecube?

Resident Evil. 53 67.09%

Metal Gear Solid. 26 32.91%

Total:79

One thing that kinda shocked me about Twin Snakes--the Gamecube was more powerful hardware than the PS2 and MGS:TTS still managed to be a downgrade in graphics at the time. I wasn't a graphics whore but it was pretty obvious to me as soon as I fired the game up. The lack of a "select" button kinda hurt things, too. I forgot which two buttons (still have the game, btw--in fact, I still have REMake!) but you had to press two buttons to access the codec. Not good.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
One thing that kinda shocked me about Twin Snakes--the Gamecube was more powerful hardware than the PS2 and MGS:TTS still managed to be a downgrade in graphics at the time. I wasn't a graphics whore but it was pretty obvious to me as soon as I fired the game up. The lack of a "select" button kinda hurt things, too. I forgot which two buttons (still have the game, btw--in fact, I still have REMake!) but you had to press two buttons to access the codec. Not good.

Now that you mention it, putting down your gun whilst it was drawn without firing, was a huge pain! In the PS2 version of MGS2 you simply lifted off the square button lightly(due to the analog buttons) but the Gamecube controller just had digital buttons so you had to mess around with the R trigger to disable your weapon. This was complicated further when you were in first-person mode with your weapon drawn as you already had to hold down two buttons(one for drawing your weapon and one for activating first-person mode)!

Guitarguy said:
d21lewis said:

Now that you mention it, putting down your gun whilst it was drawn without firing, was a huge pain! In the PS2 version of MGS2 you simply lifted off the square button lightly(due to the analog buttons) but the Gamecube controller just had digital buttons so you had to mess around with the R trigger to disable your weapon. This was complicated further when you were in first-person mode with your weapon drawn as you already had to hold down two buttons(one for drawing your weapon and one for activating first-person mode)!

I use a PS2 joypad adapter for GC and, for some reason, I'm pretty sure I didn't have the digital button problem... is this possibile ?

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...  

SirFortesque said:
Guitarguy said:
d21lewis said:

I use a PS2 joypad adapter for GC and, for some reason, I'm pretty sure I didn't have the digital button problem... is this possibile ?

I used to have this for the Gamecube:

and it worked great.  I only used it for Soul Caliber 2, though.  I kinda doubt it would unlock the analog buttons for MGS:TTS, though.  Would be pretty good if it did!

Guitarguy said:

Fair call, the voice acting is a minor gripe of mine. I think all the original cast came back except for the individual who voiced Gray Fox, either it was a different actor altogether or the performance lacked the passion and hurt. Mei Ling's original accent was missed also. Those things are secondary to actual gameplay however and I do feel that by incorporating MGS2's control and gameplay mechanics into the game, without increasing the amount of soldiers, AI and difficulty, made the game so much less rewarding.

The individual who originally voiced Gray Fox (Greg Eagles) did return in Twin Snakes, but not in that role.  In the original MGS Greg Eagles played a double role as both Gray Fox and Decoy Octopus.  But for Twin Snakes they wanted to keep each character's voice distinct to one actor, so he only returned as Decoy Octopus.  They chose Rob Paulsen to voice Gray Fox in Twin Snakes, and he did decide to play the character in a more muted fashion.  Rob Paulsen also went on to voice Gray Fox in MGS4. 

Around the Network

LOOK OUT SNAKE! THERE ARE CLAYMORE MINES NEAR THERE!

I love MGS Twin Snakes.

I played Vanilla RE and MSG for PSX, but only played the REmake (I have Twin Snakes on my Backlog). MSG was the better game on the PSX though, but I heard the voice acting was bad in the Twin Snakes.

Damn this makes me want to connect my Wii and play it right now...