By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why 2015 will the best year yet for the Wii U

the_dengle said:
Giggs_11 said:
the_dengle said:

In that case, the most 'ambitious' (costly) game they have ever made is probably Skyward Sword, and it will probably stay that way.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Nintendo pretty much confirmed Zelda WiiU is their biggest project ever.

They may have said it's the largest game, but I don't recall them commenting on the size of the dev team or the cost of development.

I honestly see no feasible scenario where Zelda U isn't more costly to develop than Skyward Sword was, in terms of resources and manpower.

Time-wise, maybe; SS did take extraordinarily long to come out (5 years). Then again, if Zelda U releases Q4 2015 it will have been 4 years in development, and should it be delayed (likely imo), it might equal SS's development cycle. But there is absolutely no possible way Zelda U will take less money and less manpower to develop than SS.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
tsogud said:

I think they will do GCN VC before N64 and tbh I would like that much better. And isn't Captain Toad planned for Holiday 2014? Did I miss something?

What makes you think that?

curl-6 said:
Purple said:
curl-6 said:
Clyde32 said:
Also hoping that an end of the year direct will reveal some new titles.

I don't know about that, but there will be games for next yea they haven't revealed yet.

This time last year we didn't know about Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Sonic Boom, or Bayonetta 1.

I doubt there's too much left we don't know about. The low sales of the Sonic games, W101, Bayo and Hyrule Warriors would have put off other third parties from entering in collaborations with them and most first party studios are accounted for with other projects. Next Level Games is the best hope I reckon for something new.

As recently as this E3 we found out about more such collaborations like Devil's Third and Bayonetta 1. Game development is a long term process, they are likely other games too far along to can.

And Retro Studios has been unaccounted for since Tropical Freeze launched.

Third party collabs aren't always based on sales. If Nintendo funds the development of the game, like in the case of the P* games, then the games will come. If you're a dev, getting commision on sales is great, but a guaranteed contract is even better. And if you're a pub, sometimes you don't mind handing a studio off to a console publisher if it agrees to fund development, because it gives that studio something to do without using your own money, and you still get a piece of the royalty pie.

MoHasanie said:
That's what people said for 2014.

Let's hope that people are going to be right this time around!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Cheebee said:

I honestly see no feasible scenario where Zelda U isn't more costly to develop than Skyward Sword was, in terms of resources and manpower.

Time-wise, maybe; SS did take extraordinarily long to come out (5 years). Then again, if Zelda U releases Q4 2015 it will have been 4 years in development, and should it be delayed (likely imo), it might equal SS's development cycle. But there is absolutely no possible way Zelda U will take less money and less manpower to develop than SS.

It's pretty straightforward. Skyward Sword went through development hell, we know this. It had one of the biggest dev teams of any Nintendo game ever, partly because they kept bringing more and more people into the project so they could finish the damn thing. Pay all of those people for five years.

Now look at Zelda Wii U, where they had a strong idea of the direction they wanted to take it in. They don't have to desperately scramble to expand their team. It could actually have a smaller team than Skyward Sword had because of this. Even if it is the same size or slightly larger, those developers are being paid for four years instead of five.

Around the Network

Captain Toad is a spin off of a minigame. It will not do better than Wonderful 101, let alone its parent franchise.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Captain Toad is a spin off of a minigame. It will not do better than Wonderful 101, let alone its parent franchise.

I'd take that bet, but I would feel bad about it. That's a chump bet.

But no one is delusional enough to think it will sell better than a major Mario game.

I hope they don't release 2 games the same month. They should wait for some in 2016 if anything so it doesn't dry out.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

An extremely popular minigame. Featuring a beloved character. As well as the same great kind of stuff from SM3DW.

TW101 had a horrendous opening, lukewarm critical reception, and made it's way to the bargain bin almost only 3 months after release. Captain Toad will not suffer a fate worse than that.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Zelda isn't coming out next year. I mean, a typical Zelda cycle is 4 years at least. Considering that Skyward Sword was completed in 2011 (development started posthaste from what I understand) , yeah theoretically it should come out next year. But I'm not believing that for a second. But on the other hand, considering that a general console cycle is 6-7 years now, if they want to make 2 Zeldas like they've done for each system since N64, they'd have to release it next year. If Nintendo only had more 3rd Party support, they wouldn't be so pressured to make ALL the good games.