By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in 3DS' Successor?

What features do you want most?

Bring back Dual Screen 34 17.17%

More powerful than today's mobiles 115 58.08%

All of New 3DS' buttons 14 7.07%

3D functionality 13 6.57%

Gyroscope 0 0%

Improved OS 21 10.61%

Total:197
Vena said:
Trunkin said:

N3DS is a nice start, but I'm thinking of bringing it closer to, say, an iPhone, with a more open app store, and a more seemless transition between applications. N3DS may be bringing the latter, though, I dunno. :/

OG3DS is incredibly gimped on power so "seemless" is next to impossible for it. The N3DS will likely be much more fluid in everything it does with the same OS, and the next handheld should be better all around with a better eShop (the 3DS version is shit, but the N3DS version is at least much faster), better apps and faster apps and transitions.

I hope so -- actually I expect so, but yeah, all around OS and store improvements are my most desired feature, ATM. 

Well, their next-gen haldheld is still a ways away, so what I'm actually most looking forward to right now is the N3DS and whatever improvements it brings.

Around the Network

At least a 720p display and noticabily more powerful than the PS Vita

I want a handheld that doesn't make my hands feel numb... maybe it is just me, but if I play for an hour or even less sometimes, my hands get so uncomfortably numb.

1doesnotsimply

Ability to make phone calls... Trololo? :(

Closer to current gen visuals and power to run the scope of full console games. Resolution doesn't need to be crazy high for handheld; a bit higher than a Vita is enough. Aside from that.. dual analogs, bigger face/D-Buttons, a single high quality capacitive screen (IPS or OLED), a video out function for TV output and finally no restriction region free console

Oh and better ergonomics. The OG 3DS was just uncomfortable to hold/play after a longish session.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
prayformojo said:

Here is what I want. A Nintendo handheld that is basically an iPhone 6 plus with buttons. 

Is this a stealth pun? Are you telling Nintendo to 'get bent'?

No. I'm telling Nintendo to basically rip Apple off... only with buttons. 

prayformojo said:
the_dengle said:
prayformojo said:

Here is what I want. A Nintendo handheld that is basically an iPhone 6 plus with buttons. 

So you want their next handheld to be made of cheap aluminum, cost $300, and require a $30/month minimum subscription with purchase?

HDMI out. I hate gaming on a small screen

the_dengle said:
prayformojo said:
the_dengle said:
prayformojo said:

So you want their next handheld to be made of cheap aluminum, cost $300, and require a $30/month minimum subscription with purchase?

Considering it's the number one selling smartphone by a country mile and outsells the 3DS to the point of absurdity, I don't think either of us can really criticize their business model. Apparently, it works.

prayformojo said:
the_dengle said:

Considering it's the number one selling smartphone by a country mile and outsells the 3DS to the point of absurdity, I don't think either of us can really criticize their business model. Apparently, it works.

Apple's business model works for them. They are selling a phone, not a game system. Even if Nintendo literally turned their handhelds into iPhones, they don't have the brand power to compete in that space. No one who isn't interested in a DS is going to buy a Nintendo phone.

I will never spend $300 on handheld gaming hardware -- ever. I will never pay $30/month for the privelege of playing games on a system I own -- ever. And I will never buy a handheld console that starts warping the minute I put it in my pocket -- ever.

You want Nintendo to copy Apple's product, but the reason Apple can afford to make and sell this product is because the average customer spends over $1,000 on each phone. $300 + $30/month x 24 months. Apple is sapping their customers dry. Nintendo can't trick people into spending that much on anything, no matter what their hardware does.

Nintendo can't sell a console MORE expensive to make than the iPhone for $200 or less. They'd be taking a massive loss on every unit sold. That's not a business model, it's a suicide attempt.

EDIT: Sorry, it appears the cheapest data plan you can buy with your iPhone is actually $50/month, not $30. So that's more like $1,500 to own that piece of shit for two years.