By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV 40-ish hours long, plans for part 2 canned.

Plans for part 2 got cancelled? I'm perfectly OK with that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

40 hours is actually moderately generous. Most games these days run their single player campaign out in 5-15 hours.

Personally, I don't mind sequels so long as they improve gameplay and story. XIII was high production values tacked onto a poorly thought out game, but XIII-2 actually worked pretty well. Considering how development has slowed down and innovation is much harder these days than it was in the series' PSOne-and-before glory days, I don't mind it if Final Fantasy drops from making three main games per gen to one game with one or two sequels. I just want those games to be good.

Or at least properly thought through.

play the demo by all it means - sounds buy FF Type-0 so you can play the demo. Would wait for videos on how the demo turned out. when is the confirmed release date? 50% complete right?

irstupid said:
Never like hearing when devs say how long a game takes, cause then you know that it is like half that.

So expect to beat the game in like 20-25 hours.

This isn't taking into account additional content. He specified the core of the demo is 1/40th of the game (1 HOUR), but that that you could spend 3-4 hours tackling stronger monster, increasin your weapon strength.

Tabata has actually been very straight talking so I'd take his word for it give or take a few hours. 

Egann said:
40 hours is actually moderately generous. Most games these days run their single player campaign out in 5-15 hours.

Personally, I don't mind sequels so long as they improve gameplay and story. XIII was high production values tacked onto a poorly thought out game, but XIII-2 actually worked pretty well. Considering how development has slowed down and innovation is much harder these days than it was in the series' PSOne-and-before glory days, I don't mind it if Final Fantasy drops from making three main games per gen to one game with one or two sequels. I just want those games to be good.

Or at least properly thought through.

If you don't like that Final Fantasy though your gonna be in for a depressing 6 years. For me at least, although each XIII entry got progressively better from a gameplay standpoint it continually got worse in every other aspect (story, scale, ambition and characters).

Around the Network
The Fury said:
VXIII said:

Also, older FF games are text heavy, It took to much time to read through everything.

You know, the amount of 'lost' dialog due to the fact voices existed in FF is become more obvious. Out of cutscenes there was very little in the way of text boxes in 13 for example, so while the main characters cried and acted as though they were all angsty teenagers in cut scenes you didn't get the same learning curve as previous games (especially without a protagonist who didn't know anything (like Cloud, Zidane, Tidus and Vann), in other games, you got detailed explanation of something in a few dialog boxes as well as reactions to it by characters.

Also, no quirky comedy as it doesn't work with spoken English.

I don't know, I think that comes down to quality of writing. We see anime's often maintain their humour, also hollywood films are good at incoporating slap stick and silliness into their scope. I remember someone referencing the cross dressing scene in FFVII, saying how that wouldn't work in modern graphics but films have been exploiting cross dressing as humour for years. I think games are just going through this learning curve of how to deal with realism. I think thats why Saint Rows became so popular, they just gave no shits to peoples expectations or didn't try to be cool and heavy with drama like 99% of western games and went ahead incorporating humour that we're only used to seeing in mature cartoons like family guy etc

gabzjmm23 said:
play the demo by all it means - sounds buy FF Type-0 so you can play the demo. Would wait for videos on how the demo turned out. when is the confirmed release date? 50% complete right?

50-60% in 2 years but they essentially rebuilt the entire game.  With the groundwork done and the transition from old director to new over we're probably looking at a December 2015 release for Japan. After Type 0 its very possible that team will help finish XV as tabata is directing both projects.

Ka-pi96 said:
So about half the length of the good Final Fantasy games?

Minus side quests, FF11, 12, and 14 are the only Final Fantasy games that'll take more than 20 hours.

Ka-pi96 said:
kupomogli said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Minus side quests, FF11, 12, and 14 are the only Final Fantasy games that'll take more than 20 hours.

Only because the game is so boring it will put you to sleep for most of those 20 hours...

Speak for yourself, FFXII was some of the best 120 hours of my life and I would do it all again if SQEX gave it a HD remaster.

Ka-pi96 said:
kupomogli said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Only because the game is so boring it will put you to sleep for most of those 20 hours...

I've never beaten the game.  I've tried.  I've given it chance after chance because I really want to like t he game, but yeah.  So I partially agree with you here.  It's less to do that it's boring though and more that there's so many very glaring flaws that just put me off from continuing.  The games world, the characters, the storyline, and then the amount of side content available should make for an amazing game if everything wasn't held back by glaring issues with the gameplay.