By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adult women are now the largest demographic in gaming--_-- Say Whaaa'h!

i didnt take the survey. its already bunk.

Around the Network

The media has a hard on for saying things like this though they dont mention roughly 70-80% of gamers are on mobile/facebook. Its like saying that since I saw 1 movie in 6 months I am a "moviegoer" when I would reserve that term for people who regularly go see movies in theaters. I dont consider these people gamers though their numbers pump a lot of money into the gaming industry.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

DGJWFAN said:
Chevinator123 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

I'd rather take this woman's word over the opinions of that article's author. At least this woman's video is much more researched. This also comes from a feminist.

http://youtu.be/9MxqSwzFy5w

holy shit, is this real? shes not reading from some script? I LOVE THIS WOMAN

Amazing. I love this lady.

Can you imagine the world we'd live in if Sarkeesian had put half the effort into her own videos? Anyone wanna bet control of my Avatar and signature for a month that this lady hasn't gotten nearly as many rape/death threats as AS?

Wouldn't the discussion of sexism and misogyny in video games progress a lot quicker if we all made the effort to not just push our own personal beliefs/agendas but analyse how the world of gaming works actually interacts with the real world?

Sigh... 

If Sarkeesian put in half the research as this lady had, she wouldn't be making videos. Period.

Facebook and mobile games have really changed things. Not only with new people getting into it, but creating some false perceptions on the reality of the industry.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

While this article is well written, and does make some fair points, it's build on a foundation that's so misleading that any earned credibility comes crashing down like a house of cards.

No one believes that the kind of games we talk about on forums like these are dominated by women players.

This isn't simply a trivial distinction, it's a distinction that defines the content being produced.  Consider the following (made up) premise:

More men watch movies ->
Romance films are written for women ->
Therefore, more Romance films should be written for men.

Now, would that make any sense whatsoever?  No, because we recognize that the particular type of film in question has far more female fans than male fans.  No one is making an issue out of it because we aren't lumping all movie watchers together relative to individual genres.  That, I'm sure everyone would agree, would lead to a bland, tasteless mess without variety.

The backlash against feminists is happening because some of them are trying to kill male culture.  While female culture exists unchallenged, this will always be seen as hypocritical.  The kind of gaming we are talking about here is centered on males simply because we are far and away the largest portion of the audience.  That's really all that needs to be said.

I'm actually all for female protagonists and games with gender options--where they are appropriate and fit into the creator's vision.  I think that's fair.  No one should be saying, "let's change the main character for to a female for diversity reasons."  That kind of thing is horrible in a creative environment--and, yes, I'd definitely say the same thing (and have, with Remember Me) if writers were being told to change a female character to a male character.

These misleading article need to stop.  All they accomplish is to make the author look deceptive for misleading the audience.

Around the Network

There is more than 1 definition of a game...

I hate the concept of "embracing new markets" because that often means leaving the current market behind. If women are only interested in game with women in them, doesn't that mean that you're abandoning your current male market?

The problem with AAA games is that they cost so much to make, they need to make huge returns. So either people start paying more money for games, or publishers are going to keep playing it safe with their games. But I don't think anyone would be hurt by a little variety

If it's candy crush or like clash of clans, I have to be an old geezer and say that shit don't count. AT least a dedicated portable, like DS and cooking mama or something.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

See the problem with this kind of articles/researches is that by "gaming" people assume console + PC or AAA+indie and even the feminists use this as arguments.

Casual market and AAA market are two way different things you can't compare or put at the same side.

ThatDanishGamer said:
Two words, Candy Crush.

Don't forget about Farmville!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Mr Khan said:

Am i doing it right?

Disturbing Waluigi. Whatever i'm PSYCHED!