By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adult women are now the largest demographic in gaming--_-- Say Whaaa'h!

The_Sony_Girl1 said:

I don't play Diablo. It took my dad from console gaming. Should I get Reaper Of Souls?

Yes. It is amazing couch co-op.  Real sense of working together and love my sweet loot.

Around the Network
Purple said:
DonFerrari said:
Purple said:
This really does just reinforce how short-sighted console manufacturers are in designing their systems and games exclusively to a narrow 14-29 year old male market.

Nintendo deserves special scorn for finding success with the Wii selling to an extended market, and then retreating back into their conservative "games should only be made for teenage males" hole with the Wii U.

You are being sarcastic or did you fell for this article?

Yes, I fell for the article. I stupidly believed companies exclusively targeting a narrow demographic that is showing evidence of stagnation and decline is bad corporate policy. The incredible success of gaming companies creating content for wider demographics on mobile and PC don't count as we both know because women's money is dirty and "casuals" are subhumans and only buy fads.

Now I'm being sarcastic.

Seeing as how few genres have attracted both genders and none of the games released that attracted a lot of women... or devs starts putting two games instead of one so they can cover two genres or type of games so they can attract both markets separately or they release one with broad alcance but that sells little for both... Do you think Activision instead of releasing CoD and R* with GTA selling 30M focused at men would release an aditional game focusing on 10% of the fanbase and double the cost for no gain or would decide not to release that one game and release one that would sell to both genders but wouldn't go over 2M??

There is a reason movies and book genres have differences in their audience, because genders have different taste.

And if you had read the survey and discovered that 90% of those women play in smartphones and browsers (things we hear in VGC doesn't count, but that doesn't matter) then if you dev a game focused on the women demography on a console you have quite a chance of losing money unless it is small budget/indie and quite possible without visibility no one would buy... or the devs would have to release the games that women buy where they play... unfortunately those are 1 dollar games and not on consoles, and fortunatelly there are a lot of devs doing those games for that demography.

But sure, found your company and focus on this demography in a console and I promise I'll pray for your success... also look at the youtube link from Quint Mcleod about the feminist commenting about the research (where she is counted as a women over 20 on the survey even tough the last time she played was in the 80's)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mobile gaming, sure. Console/PC core gaming? Nope. Maybe some LoL, but other than that core gaming is male dominant. Not saying that women don't play core games, just that males play them much more.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC