By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adult women are now the largest demographic in gaming--_-- Say Whaaa'h!

Chevinator123 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

I'd rather take this woman's word over the opinions of that article's author. At least this woman's video is much more researched. This also comes from a feminist.

http://youtu.be/9MxqSwzFy5w

holy shit, is this real? shes not reading from some script? I LOVE THIS WOMAN

Amazing. I love this lady.

Can you imagine the world we'd live in if Sarkeesian had put half the effort into her own videos? Anyone wanna bet control of my Avatar and signature for a month that this lady hasn't gotten nearly as many rape/death threats as AS?

Wouldn't the discussion of sexism and misogyny in video games progress a lot quicker if we all made the effort to not just push our own personal beliefs/agendas, but analyse how the world of gaming actually interacts with the real world?

Sigh... 

Around the Network

hopefully the target audience is adult (bisexual) women or at least fashion-conscious ones.

I dont want to play a female character that walks around like a nun or a muslim in a burqa. I want my sexy females haha :)

I mean when "GearsOfWar body builder men games" are made for men. Then why not have "Victora's Secret women games" for women?

Wright said:
Nymeria said:
 it was my guy friends that I could talk Metroid or Castlevania with. Now? My girlfriends do play games,

Augen won't like that. No, no, he won't like it one bit.

No need to be a prude Wright. ;)

The_Sony_Girl1 said:

Really? I'm an almost adult woman and I don't find many fellow girl gamers.

Girls who game like us, playing Resident Evil or Diablo, are still rare.  Women play on their phones and they number in the millions. 

its called wimmelbilder, its where is waldo, and women buy it (at insane prices for the content). it takes up 75% of PC space in stores in germany...

Around the Network
Nymeria said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:

Really? I'm an almost adult woman and I don't find many fellow girl gamers.

Girls who game like us, playing Resident Evil or Diablo, are still rare.  Women play on their phones and they number in the millions. 

Yes the increase is pretty much entirely from women playing smartphone games, this is actually an article citing another source that's a few months old. 

What I've noticed with women is despite all the bruhaha that's made over Lara Croft, Samus, etc. is that most women don't like playing "character based" stage/world clearing games period. 

Women tend to really enjoy games with an invisible/non-protagonist, games that have no "main character" at all ... things like Candy Crush Saga, Tetris, Angry Birds, crossword games, brain training, fitness/dance games, etc. 

Do these adult women who mostly play games on mobile phones considered themselves as gamers or "addicted to the latest app game?"

Its funny because I think they should be labeled as gamers like this article. But when these adult women don't consider what they are playing as "video games" it's not hard to see why they aren't represented or catered towards in games most people consider "video games." We already saw Nintendo's attempt and this audience has left them for smart devices. Those games perfectly catered towards these women. So its hard to argue traditional console or handheld games that aren't trying to cater to these adult women are therefore sexist when they don't even play those games.

Soundwave said:

Yes the increase is pretty much entirely from women playing smartphone games, this is actually an article citing another source that's a few months old. 

What I've noticed with women is despite all the bruhaha that's made over Lara Croft, Samus, etc. is that most women don't like playing "character based" stage/world clearing games period. 

Women tend to really enjoy games with an invisible/non-protagonist, games that have no "main character" at all ... things like Candy Crush Saga, Tetris, Angry Birds, crossword games, brain training, fitness/dance games, etc. 

Some of that is the challenge versus entertainment issue.  Take The Last of Us.  It makes for a great film experience, but many novice or casual gamers get put off because dying and repeating areas makes it frustrating compared to a passive experience like a movie.

I think many of those games you pointed out lack narrative and that is where much of console gaming has gone compared to challenge focus of 80s arcade or even through SNES days.

A lot of women play mobile (Nintendo and cell phones) and PC. Particularly the Sims and Minecraft when it comes to PC. Check out Sims 4 and Minecraft let's plays on Youtube and you'll see that many are done by girls. You can find a lot of Pokemon channels run by girls as well.

Typing in "Sims 4 Part 1" on Youtube yields channels such as; LifeSimmer, Sofee Sims-x, Deligracy, HeylmBee, Genna Bain, iJustineGaming, and yammy xox.

Popular female Minecraft channels include; iHasCupquake, LDShadowLady, Amy Lee, etc.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

soon gaming will become gay

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(