By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Proves It's Time for Developers to Abandon Last Gen

decent point I suppose

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

The problem is people drawing conclusions about a game's quality, fueled by marketing dollars, long before its release. It's bound to lead to unmet expectations.

I am gonna get the game for X360 when it is under $15 :)

Just leave them go last gen as well!

Don't know about you guys, but I'm loving Destiny so far............ Can't wait for this weekends events......

I actually agree with him on the cross gen point since I have played Destiny on PS4 and not the other games.

It seems clear to me that Destiny could have taken advantage of the new consoles in a much more sophisticated way that actually innovated the FPS genre. One of the biggest issues I have with this game is its inability to live up to its MMO identity. Each of the worlds may look nice , but the number of players on the map is just disappointing. These worlds feel empty and right now I really do not see any point of Destiny being always online because you almost always are alone on the map or maybe with one or two other people who you almost never interact with.

I feel like cross-gen might have really held Destiny back in this regard, not letting the world be bigger and certainly putting more enemy on the maps and hence allowing more players to inhabit them. If done right, this could have made Destiny something amazing. As of now, the PS4/Xbone versions are games that just look nicer. Nothing more.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
The flaws in Destiny that i've seen seem to mostly be an issue of balance and of a confused direction, which could happen at any hardware level.

Plus they tried to blend MMO & Single player game in a same game.

TheLastStarFighter said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
HyrulianScrolls saidI think a lot of you are missing my point though. I'm saying it's a mediocre game because Bungie didn't focus on what innovations they could pull off for it on the new gen of hardware. Instead it was limited by what could be done last gen. If it had only been developed for this gen how do we know they wouldn't have tried to really see what they could do with the new hardware that they couldn't do before? Maybe they still wouldn't have put that effort in, but I think they would have been a lot more likely to. And I think games like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and Quatum Break that are only being developed for current gen systems are actually going to live up to the hype. Of course I could be wrong, but I think they're actually attempting to innovate on the new hardware and I don't think that was attempted with these big cross gen titles this year.

What innovations could they have taken advantage of by not focusing on last gen?

I don't know. I'm not a game developer. I can sure tell you I would have had no idea something like GTA 3 was possible though back when the 6th gen consoles first came out. And I wouldn't have known something like Bioshock or Oblivion were possible when 7th gen debuted.

You shouldn't make a claim that something is a cause, without knowing WHY it's the cause. You have effectively proved yourself wrong here.

And you are wrong. The truth is, there is pretty much nothing that the current systems can do that the PS360 could not. They just do it better and prettier. You're falling for PR if you think Arkham Knight couldn't be on PS360.  There are no secret "Batmobile physics". Those systems could play it as long as you reduced the resolution, detail and/or framerate. 

The new titles have been various degrees of letdown because they are based entirely on a cool new "theme" one that isn't necessarily backed up by cool new gameplay.  There is a real lack of inspiration going on from all developers right now.

A new concept I really like is Evolve. It would have been even better if it was on Wii U, with 4 player spit screen and the monster on the pad, but that would actually make the Gamepad useful and would make too much sense. Sunset Overdrive and Splatoon also look like innovative shooters...but both could have been done on old hardware of course.

The only upgrade being graphics isn't necessarily a bad thing.  The SNES was a fantastic upgrade over NES.

The graphical leap this gen has been the smallest I've ever witnessed by a long shot. If what you say is true and the One/PS4 really aren't capable of doing anything more than upgrading from 720p to 1080p resolution, then they're complete wastes of hardware. No one but tech geeks/graphic whores even cares about going from normal HD to a slightly better HD . But even not being a game developer, I have to believe their increased memory and power could at least make bigger and more fleshed out gaming worlds possible that weren't on 360/PS3. But that's certainly not the case with Destiny. Look at all the "empty world" complaints. The content is the same across all platforms. There's nothing "next gen" about it when you get down to it.

theres many great ps360 games (of all genres),why couldnt this have been a great one too? i think the ps360 have nothing to do with it... maybe bungie lost its touch a little,and of course this was majorly overhyped to begin with

a lot of shooters are getting mediocre score now...

Destiny proves it's not a good idea to spend $500 million on a game without a story.