By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Proves It's Time for Developers to Abandon Last Gen

HyrulianScrolls said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

I don't know. I'm not a game developer. I can sure tell you I would have had no idea something like GTA 3 was possible though back when the 6th gen consoles first came out. And I wouldn't have known something like Bioshock or Oblivion were possible when 7th gen debuted.

You shouldn't make a claim that something is a cause, without knowing WHY it's the cause. You have effectively proved yourself wrong here.

And you are wrong. The truth is, there is pretty much nothing that the current systems can do that the PS360 could not. They just do it better and prettier. You're falling for PR if you think Arkham Knight couldn't be on PS360.  There are no secret "Batmobile physics". Those systems could play it as long as you reduced the resolution, detail and/or framerate. 

The new titles have been various degrees of letdown because they are based entirely on a cool new "theme" one that isn't necessarily backed up by cool new gameplay.  There is a real lack of inspiration going on from all developers right now.

A new concept I really like is Evolve. It would have been even better if it was on Wii U, with 4 player spit screen and the monster on the pad, but that would actually make the Gamepad useful and would make too much sense. Sunset Overdrive and Splatoon also look like innovative shooters...but both could have been done on old hardware of course.

The only upgrade being graphics isn't necessarily a bad thing.  The SNES was a fantastic upgrade over NES.

The graphical leap this gen has been the smallest I've ever witnessed by a long shot. If what you say is true and the One/PS4 really aren't capable of doing anything more than upgrading from 720p to 1080p resolution, then they're complete wastes of hardware. No one but tech geeks/graphic whores even cares about going from normal HD to a slightly better HD . But even not being a game developer, I have to believe their increased memory and power could at least make bigger and more fleshed out gaming worlds possible that weren't on 360/PS3. But that's certainly not the case with Destiny. Look at all the "empty world" complaints. The content is the same across all platforms. There's nothing "next gen" about it when you get down to it.

You don't need a more powerful game system to make a more fleshed out world.  Play Xenoblade on Wii and it's one of the biggest most open worlds in gaming.  A whole lifes-size town and country side rendered at once, with exceptional long draw distances and wildlife everywhere.  The thing is, it's rendered in SD with relatively low polygon counts, etc.

The new systems just give more power.  You can use that to make huge worlds with lots of detail at 720p or 30 FPS, or you could increase quality of image but reduce content.  Whatever way you want to fill up the systems resources.  

As far as whether the new systems are worth it, that's up to you.  There's no question that the PS4 and One are much more powerful than PS360.  The end impact on visuals is rather small because it takes much more resources to make much more minor improvements in graphics.  PS360 already looked really, really good.

A game like Destiny and others just shows that tech and money are not a replacement for talent and inspiration.

Around the Network

Don't worry! They will probably abandon it sooner or later......Most likely later!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

- Horrible story thanks to shit writing
- Bizarre, shitty social elements
- Go to Bungie.net to read our lore!
- Extreme lack of content thanks to future DLC plans
- Bad design in loot and PvP

Among others. None of these are going to be fixed by going next gen exclusive.

its past time. time to focus on more current gen things.