By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Proves It's Time for Developers to Abandon Last Gen

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I highly doubt its cause of crossgen since there have been many shooters that were really fun in the 7th gen

Sure there were plenty of awesome 7th gen shooters. The point is at the time a lot of those were innovating and doing things that hadn't been done on previous gens. Now a lot of those concepts are old and tired and that's why they don't seem as great anymore. We need the innovation to come back, and that can only happen when developers start thinking what they can really do with this new hardware that they couldn't do with the old. And that doesn't mean just having slightly better graphics. Or have we hit a brick wall with innovation on new hardware? Are these next gen systems essentially useless cause we could do everything on the 7th gen ones we can on them?

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:

So with Destiny's very mixed reception being the latest in a line of big games turning out disappointing this year I realized most of said games have something in common. Destiny, Watch Dogs, and Titanfall were all developed to be both last gen and next gen games. Is it a coincidence that all three also happened to be some of the most disappointing games compared to their hype and what was promised? Maybe, but I think it reveals what could be the real problem here: Developers are too worried about abandoning the massive install bases of 360/PS3, because of a fear that these huge budget games may not sell well enough if only released on the much smaller install bases of PS4/X1.

The problem there though is that I think this is stopping these developers from truly focusing on a "next gen" experience for these games, and this is the main reason I believe they're all under-delivering. I mean look at how Rock Steady has said some of the new mechanics they're doing for Arkham Knight wouldn't have even been possible last gen (or even on the Wii U). Who knows what ideas studios like Bungie and Ubisoft may have decided against for games like Destiny and Watch Dogs because they wouldn't have worked in last gen constraints. Aside from the graphical differences, these games haven't been much different than their last gen counterparts, essentially meaning they all could have just been last gen titles.

Now I know it could be risky developing a huge budget game for a much smaller install base, but at the same time that's what's gonna have to happen for the base to grow. The funny thing is that the 360/PS3 versions of these games haven't even been selling all that well, which indicats that even the public is ready to move on from last gen. I think Destiny's mediocre reception is the final sign that developers need to officially pull the plug to last gen life support, and finally start focusing on the true "next gen" experience.

Ill just say Xenoblade. Its relatively new and is running on 1990s tech (Wii is GC tech and GC tech was from 1999 or something)  And its a great game with unbelievable scale.

Developers are bad thats the problem and IF they are not bad they cant do what they want because publishers or  shar(se)holders dictate that the game should generate short term profit. If the end result is shit or good  is completely irrelevant as long as the marketing can fool customers.

As everyone said, the complaints about its issues aren't cross gen. They come from people complaining about where the $500 million went into its budget, and others who have a clear agenda with the game being Playstation focused.

Like others have said again and again, from people I know who have played it, they though it was a great game. A lot of the people talking crap about the $500 million budget, also say it's a good game, but it's just your average first person shooter. Maybe this means that people are wanting other games besides FPS and they're burnt out on the genre. That'd certainly be nice.

Although I do understand what you're saying and there are also a lot of people complaining about multi generation titles with last gen being hardly any different from current, and the last gen console versions are usually higher resolution ports, maybe a couple extra effects, but not much of a change, and we know it can be done after seeing games like Infamous Second Son and how much better it looks than everything else.

I agree with everyone else here. Crossgen isn't the issue. A mediocre game is a mediocre game. That's all there is to it.

QuintonMcLeod said:

I agree with everyone else here. Crossgen isn't the issue. A mediocre game is a mediocre game. That's all there is to it.

I think a lot of you are missing my point though. I'm saying it's a mediocre game because Bungie didn't focus on what innovations they could pull off for it on the new gen of hardware. Instead it was limited by what could be done last gen. If it had only been developed for this gen how do we know they wouldn't have tried to really see what they could do with the new hardware that they couldn't do before? Maybe they still wouldn't have put that effort in, but I think they would have been a lot more likely to. And I think games like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and Quatum Break that are only being developed for current gen systems are actually going to live up to the hype. Of course I could be wrong (Second Son didn't live up to the hype despite no being cross gen), but I think they're at least attempting to innovate on the new hardware. I don't think that was even attempted with these big cross gen titles this year.

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

I think a lot of you are missing my point though. I'm saying it's a mediocre game because Bungie didn't focus on what innovations they could pull off for it on the new gen of hardware. Instead it was limited by what could be done last gen. If it had only been developed for this gen how do we know they wouldn't have tried to really see what they could do with the new hardware that they couldn't do before? Maybe they still wouldn't have put that effort in, but I think they would have been a lot more likely to. And I think games like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and Quatum Break that are only being developed for current gen systems are actually going to live up to the hype. Of course I could be wrong, but I think they're actually attempting to innovate on the new hardware and I don't think that was attempted with these big cross gen titles this year.

What innovations could they have taken advantage of by not focusing on last gen?

I believe the issue here is one of causation vs. correlation. It's true that Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and Destiny were all disappointing, and it's true that they were all cross gen. The trouble is that's those are about the only similarities they share. All of them were disappointing for entirely different reasons (Titanfall for being too short, Watch Dogs for having an extremely generic and bland story with some unintuitive "hacking" mechanics, and Destiny for some misleading marketing and not innovating in any significant way). None of these problems can be traced to being last gen: length is an issue of simple work, poor story writing and unintuitive gameplay design has nothing to do with console power, and misleading marketing certainly has nothing to do with what generation it's on. While they all share the similarity of being cross gen, that's all they share.

Xxain said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

If cross gen is not the issue, then why is it that these games are virtually identical aside from the aesthetic face lifts on the next gen versions? I mean they essentially could have just been 360/PS3 games (systems released almost a decade ago). Where is the "next gen" aspect coming in?

Not to mention you can't tell me some of these inflated budgets aren't partly due to developing across so many platforms.

"next gen" is a buzz word. Its used to stir excitement even if the product isnt all that exciting or new. Developers know that which is why they keep pushing storylines, or graphics to keep attention awar from that.

I've been gaming since '95 and I totally disagree with "next gen" just being a buzz word that's essentially code for better graphics. Every new generation since I've been gaming has given us plenty of "wow" titles that simply just weren't possible before their current hardware. Now maybe gaming has finally hit a wall in what new experiences new hardware can provide. I hope that's not the case though, and I still don't think most developers have really been trying yet to see what they can do that they couldn't before.

Maybe the game is just not that good, just like Watch_dogs and Titanfall where not that good. But not being on last ge would not mean they would be better.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

QuintonMcLeod said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

I think a lot of you are missing my point though. I'm saying it's a mediocre game because Bungie didn't focus on what innovations they could pull off for it on the new gen of hardware. Instead it was limited by what could be done last gen. If it had only been developed for this gen how do we know they wouldn't have tried to really see what they could do with the new hardware that they couldn't do before? Maybe they still wouldn't have put that effort in, but I think they would have been a lot more likely to. And I think games like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and Quatum Break that are only being developed for current gen systems are actually going to live up to the hype. Of course I could be wrong, but I think they're actually attempting to innovate on the new hardware and I don't think that was attempted with these big cross gen titles this year.

What innovations could they have taken advantage of by not focusing on last gen?

I don't know. I'm not a game developer. I can sure tell you I would have had no idea something like GTA 3 was possible though back when the 6th gen consoles first came out. And I wouldn't have known something like Bioshock or Oblivion were possible when 7th gen debuted.