By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Proves It's Time for Developers to Abandon Last Gen

HyrulianScrolls said:
Xxain said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

If cross gen is not the issue, then why is it that these games are virtually identical aside from the aesthetic face lifts on the next gen versions? I mean they essentially could have just been 360/PS3 games (systems released almost a decade ago). Where is the "next gen" aspect coming in?

Not to mention you can't tell me some of these inflated budgets aren't partly due to developing across so many platforms.

"next gen" is a buzz word. Its used to stir excitement even if the product isnt all that exciting or new. Developers know that which is why they keep pushing storylines, or graphics to keep attention awar from that.

I've been gaming since '95 and I totally disagree with "next gen" just being a buzz word that's essentially code for better graphics. Every new generation since I've been gaming has given us plenty of "wow" titles that simply just weren't possible before their current hardware. Now maybe gaming has finally hit a wall in what new experiences new hardware can provide. I hope that's not the case though, and I still don't think most developers have really been trying yet to see what they can do that they couldn't before.

Oh no, im not saying the concept of next gen is fake but the way that it used is a hype term

Around the Network

Destiny's problem is that the game was designed for you to pay for content.

They do a great job marketing these games on the internet and alot of people fall for the hype, nothing to do with cross gen

Vasto said:

Yeah that too, although that's a whole other can of worms....

So if big upcoming games that are being developed just for current gen systems actually deliver something new and exciting, is that just totally coincidental and I should be expected to believe it had nothing to do with them not being limited to last gen constraints?

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:
Vasto said:

Yeah that too, although that's a whole other can of worms....

To me the game just feels like its not complete. I bet they have content already ready that could have been at release but they are saving it to sell in one of the later expansions.

HyrulianScrolls said:

If cross gen is not the issue, then why is it that these games are virtually identical aside from the aesthetic face lifts on the next gen versions? I mean they essentially could have just been 360/PS3 games (systems released almost a decade ago). Where is the "next gen" aspect coming in?

Not to mention you can't tell me some of these inflated budgets aren't partly due to developing across so many platforms.

This. Completely. Cross gen completely stopped any ambitious design and at the same time it's really expensive to release an identical game on 4 different systems:

One of the main complaints are in fact because the designers are held back by technical constraints:

- Level are too small and empty when people were waiting for open world-ness simimar to Warcraft/No man's sky/Wild but only possible on PS4/XB1/PC, not PS360.

- There is absolutely no long-term modifications of the environment/or environment destruction because limited amount of memory of PS360

- 30fps in a competitive PVP game? What the hell? again, because of PS360.

Also the PS4 version could easily have a uncapped 60fps option, looking at what Metro graphics push at locked 1080p60fps on PS4 in some open levels with multiple effects, even more than in Destiny, the levels being as open as Destiny levels which are in fact rather small (and empty).

HyrulianScrolls said:
So if big upcoming games that are being developed just for current gen systems actually deliver something new and exciting, is that just totally coincidental and I should be expected to believe it had nothing to do with them not being limited to last gen constraints?

It depends on what it is doing. Concepts for fresh game ideas are not always technology reliant.  

Titanfall, Watchdogs and Destiny all share these two things in common aside from being "cross-gen" games... all three were overhyped and overrated.

In Destiny's case, I laugh at all those who bought into the blatantly obvious marketing hype for this game. Told ya so!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

globalisateur said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

This. Completely. Cross gen completely stopped any ambitious design and at the same time it's really expensive to release an identical game on 4 different systems:

One of the main complaints are in fact because the designers are held back by technical constraints:

- Level are too small and empty when people were waiting for open world-ness simimar to Warcraft/No man's sky/Wild but only possible on PS4/XB1/PC, not PS360.

- There is absolutely no long-term modifications of the environment/or environment destruction because limited amount of memory of PS360

- 30fps in a competitive PVP game? What the hell? again, because of PS360.

Also the PS4 version could easily have a uncapped 60fps option, looking at what Metro graphics push at locked 1080p60fps on PS4 in some open levels with multiple effects, even more than in Destiny, the levels being as open as Destiny levels which are in fact rather small (and empty).

Thank you for outlining some of the stuff that could have been possible had they not limited themselves to last gen constraints. I don't have the technical "know how" to say exactly what a lot of that is, I just know there are things that could have been done without the last gen "seatbelt" still tightly fastened.