By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What was Microsoft thinking with those X1 Japanese launch games!!!!!

Maybe this time it's doing quite a little effort, but after committing the opposite mistake in the past, MS is learning to make efforts commensurate to the results it can reasonably expect in Japan. The next step could be making efforts commensurate to the MAXIMUM results it can reasonably expect, but for that it'll need to watch how the first steps work, first. OTOH we can expect both MS and Sony to make bigger efforts in China, as its population is so large that even a niche market would be huge, just imagine if the same share XB360 has in Japan were achieved on China population, it would be more than 15 million lifetime.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dismissal due to a Reality created from Dismissal.
Its better to try and fail rather than not try at all, and it perplexes me that money spent on timed exclusivity is seen as vital but money spent on enticing one of the largest markets is considered "A waste". Especially, when Microsoft has more money then its competitors

It would be a waste because there would be little reward.

What could MS possibly hope to accomplish in Japan? 1 or maybe 2 million units sold?

Instead spend that money on the west and try to achieve 80 million units sold again. Its not like the 360 needed Japan to achieve that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

X1 would probably still flop there with good launch games.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I have Zumba Fitness World Party. Don´t ask me why...

I was so desesperate for games when the X1 launched that I bought all they had, including Battlefield 4 and this =/

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Mr Puggsly said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dismissal due to a Reality created from Dismissal.
Its better to try and fail rather than not try at all, and it perplexes me that money spent on timed exclusivity is seen as vital but money spent on enticing one of the largest markets is considered "A waste". Especially, when Microsoft has more money then its competitors

What could MS possibly hope to accomplish in Japan? 1 or maybe 2 million units sold?

Instead spend that money on the west and try to achieve 80 million units sold again. Its not like the 360 needed Japan to achieve that.

If its a good console, brand preferences are irrelevant. 

Even 2 Million is substantial because its a lot more important to be an international brand then an American Brand, the US, which has no brand loyalty, is not a good place to put all of your eggs so to speak.

And 80 Million is extremely optomistic, with the market shrinking as a whole and most of the 360 advatanges lost, not to mention, rebuying of consoles frankly not happening in this gen probably. We're talking 50 million tops, best case scenario WW. And even that is optomistic.

All I'm saying is, if this is a marathon, not a sprint. 

and If they are even bothering to Launch officially in Japan anyway, they might as well go all out.  

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:

I have Zumba Fitness World Party. Don´t ask me why...

I was so desesperate for games when the X1 launched that I bought all they had, including Battlefield 4 and this =/

Wow, how much did that cost all together?

Microsoft is probably thankful that console gaming is pretty much dead in Japan. Now they just need to keep dominating U.S. and put more effort in Europe.

sweetoothj said:
Microsoft is probably thankful that console gaming is pretty much dead in Japan. Now they just need to keep dominating U.S. and put more effort in Europe.

They aren't dominating in the U.S and will need to put in a huge amount of effort in Europe considering how bad the X1 is selling there.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If its a good console, brand preferences are irrelevant. 

Even 2 Million is substantial because its a lot more important to be an international brand then an American Brand, the US, which has no brand loyalty, is not a good place to put all of your eggs so to speak.

And 80 Million is extremely optomistic, with the market shrinking as a whole and most of the 360 advatanges lost, not to mention, rebuying of consoles frankly not happening in this gen probably. We're talking 50 million tops, best case scenario WW. And even that is optomistic.

All I'm saying is, if this is a marathon, not a sprint. 

and If they are even bothering to Launch officially in Japan anyway, they might as well go all out.  

Spending a fortune to get 2 million units sold in Japan is not substantial. It seems like an even bigger waste when you consider that market is moving away from consoles (home or portable).

Many of us would prefer that money instead go into getting western game that have more hardware moving potential.

I know 80 million is optimistic (I expected you to say that) and it ain't gonna happen from wasting resources on Japan (that was my planned response).

MS invested in big budget Japanese games for 360 and had little to show for it. No need to do that again.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

MoHasanie said:
sweetoothj said:

They aren't dominating in the U.S and will need to put in a huge amount of effort in Europe considering how bad the X1 is selling there.

They are dominating the US. Just because they aren't selling as well in the U.S. as the PS4 (fastest selling console ever) doesn't mean it isn't dominating. Microsoft probably know they can't beat playstation in sales unless Sony screws up because playstation brand name is just too huge to compete with. If they can do better in Europe they can at least stay close in terms of sales with the Playstation. Microsoft may be getting third party support right now, but if ps4 sales get way out of hand sony can tell third party developers don't make games on the xbox one or you can't release the game on the ps4. Trust me, they can force third party developers to skip another platform real easily.