By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why The Playstation 4 is Outselling The Xbox One.

Zanten said:
ErwinMoC said:

"I think many Playstation 3 owners are bored of their Playstation 3"

( Dated list some games are missing, maybe )

http://www.gameondaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/exclusive-comparison.jpg

For a more recent example, I did a bit of an audit-like-thing a month or two ago, using Wikipedia's list of console exclusives, found here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29#Xbox_360

Using November 4th, 2010 as a starting point, i.e. when Kinect games first started coming out, I counted about 56 exclusives titles for the Xbox 360, as well as 4 PC-ported 'sorta exclusives.'

Which I then cross-referenced with THIS list; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games_for_Xbox_360

After removing everything that was listed as requiring the Kinect, or wasn't a game (there were some video editing stuff, and interactive TV titles that required the Kinect for full utility anyway) and I was left with 9 'true exclusives,' and of course the 4 PC ports.

Of those 9 true exclusives, 7 belonged to Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable; the Fable title wasn't even a new game, just a remade version of the original. So, six new games, basically, from existing franchises, over the course of around four years.

The remaining two games consisted of a Kinect shooter (that I didn't disqualify only because it wasn't listed as NEEDING the Kinect) called Blackwater... aaaaand Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster.

The four PC games, for the record, were State of Decay, Toy Soldiers: Cold War, Minecraft, and the Witcher 2.

Nice stuff, Zanten. I said in another thread that even before the X1 reveal, MS put off a lot of gamers because of the 360's post-Kinect dry library. Someone took issue with that, but this tells it all.

Around the Network
wary-wallaroo said:
It's pretty simple really and I understand some people just refuse to accept it but really it's just that the X1 is simply not a desirable console. Especially when compared to the PS4.

People seem to think that just by virtue of being an Xbox, it should be selling, but this isn't the case at all (see Wii U). It also needs to be desirable and honestly, outside NA there's zero reason why one would pick an X1 over a PS4. And in NA, the PS4 is overall more appealing hence it's doing better.

Fin A+++ on that!

I got both and its exactly just that, one is simply better. 

Jega said:
Mike_L said:

Even though I think you're trying a little too hard I gotta give props to your limitless endurance. Just promise me that the quote below is your own belief and not you buying all the bs pr from Microsoft stating the same. :S Studies show that a lot of Xbox 360 owners have bought a PS4..

"Xbox 360 owners on the other hand are still happy with their Xbox 360 and is waiting on certain games to come out before they make the jump to the next generation."

It's my own belief even though Microsoft did say something similar.

How would microsoft know how satisfied PS3 owners are? They're just giving BS excuses.

wary-wallaroo said:
It's pretty simple really and I understand some people just refuse to accept it but really it's just that the X1 is simply not a desirable console. Especially when compared to the PS4.

People seem to think that just by virtue of being an Xbox, it should be selling, but this isn't the case at all (see Wii U). It also needs to be desirable and honestly, outside NA there's zero reason why one would pick an X1 over a PS4. And in NA, the PS4 is overall more appealing hence it's doing better.

This 100%

X360 fans aren't waiting around for 3 games. They're picking PS4 every month over Xbox One.

Aura7541 said:
Zanten said:

For a more recent example, I did a bit of an audit-like-thing a month or two ago, using Wikipedia's list of console exclusives, found here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_%28seventh_generation%29#Xbox_360

Using November 4th, 2010 as a starting point, i.e. when Kinect games first started coming out, I counted about 56 exclusives titles for the Xbox 360, as well as 4 PC-ported 'sorta exclusives.'

Which I then cross-referenced with THIS list; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games_for_Xbox_360

After removing everything that was listed as requiring the Kinect, or wasn't a game (there were some video editing stuff, and interactive TV titles that required the Kinect for full utility anyway) and I was left with 9 'true exclusives,' and of course the 4 PC ports.

Of those 9 true exclusives, 7 belonged to Halo, Gears, Forza or Fable; the Fable title wasn't even a new game, just a remade version of the original. So, six new games, basically, from existing franchises, over the course of around four years.

The remaining two games consisted of a Kinect shooter (that I didn't disqualify only because it wasn't listed as NEEDING the Kinect) called Blackwater... aaaaand Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster.

The four PC games, for the record, were State of Decay, Toy Soldiers: Cold War, Minecraft, and the Witcher 2.

Nice stuff, Zanten. I said in another thread that even before the X1 reveal, MS put off a lot of gamers because of the 360's post-Kinect dry library. Someone took issue with that, but this tells it all.

Thanks! Feel free to use it if anyone takes issue with that in the future. xP

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
Aura7541 said:

But you have no evidence supporting that. It might have... it might have not. Another quote from Kresnik's link:

"that total could include those who sold their PS3s at GameStop to help pay for PS4."

"Just an FYI that survey was what consoles do you currently own if you are a PS4 owner. It has nothing to do with conversion, which doesnt mean people are/arent converting. " -CDiablo

Quoting my first post which YOU BOLDED, the circle is now complete. Again all we know is 17% own PS4 no last gen 38% own a Wii and/or 360 45% own a PS3 (and/or) Wii(and/or)360. Clickbait.

You're citing someone else's intrepretation that neither you nor he can back up. The person who's doing circular logic is you because it's clear as day that you do not like the results of the survey and doing whatever you can to make it look like clickbait (in which it's not). You'll be much be better off just admitting that and move on. For all we know, the number of people who sold their PS3's could be very low, too, so the interpretation that you think is true has gaping holes. Also, MS was offering a HUGE amount of money ($75) to 360 users to upgrade to the X1 AFTER the Kinect-less SKU launch. All this evidence strongly supports the notion that the survey doesn't include consumers who sold their PS3's or that very few people sold their PS3's.

In other words, a lot of 360 users indisputingly jumped ship.

Rather than type all this out again, I'm going to repost it here from my other thread since it's exactly relevant to this topic. COD is not going to save the X1. For one thing, many COD players are borderline casuals who don't care, and will keep playing on their 360 or PS3 without a worry. For another, people already know it will play as well or likely superior on PS4. And lastly, the bundle is $499 freaking dollars, which is a suicide note in 2014. Anyway, this is another in long line of checkboxes which didn't pan out for people predicting X1 suddenly to become a runaway success and beat the PS4. It just won't happen. The best they can hope is to lose LESS badly.

I don't think anyone is prepared for how September will go. Every time people say 'wait for this' in regards to the X1, it doesn't happen the way they think. I've called it every step of the way.

(1)- X1 sells well in Nov/Dec, people think 'oh, it will sell evenly with PS4 from here on out, or will outsell it'.

/nope, it will fall behind, those sales only show the front-loading of hardcore Xbox fans jumping in thirsty for a new console after the longest gen of all time.

(2)- 'X1 will stomp with Titanfall, the most hyped and promoted exclusive of all time!'

/nope, it will give a boost, but won't be enough to make a lasting impact, not even giving the game away and cutting the price by 10%.

(3)- 'X1 will never drop to $399 before 2015'

/nope, they need a lower price NOW, they will find a way!

(4)- 'X1 will never drop Kinect'

/nope, they had to find a way to $399, and there you go, they found it!

(5)- 'X1 will get a mad boost when the $399 SKU hits! It will pass PS4 and win the US easily!'

/nope, it will make an impact for 1-2 days due to people who waited out May due to the early announcement, then fall back to around previous levels because deals were already better in some ways ($449 Titanfall Kinect bundle, yadda/etc).

And now we get to the rest :

(6)- 'X1 will get a boost from Destiny because reasons, and will start selling strongly!'

/nope, not much of a boost, they will trail the PS4 by a larger margin than ever. PS4 Destiny bundles have been building up at insane rates for months now, and those chickens will come to roost in September IN ADDITION to the baseline PS4 sales. The momentum started in September for PS4 will be wicked powerful.

(7)- 'X1 will get a huge boost from Halo MCC! It will outsell the PS4 then surely!'

/nope, remasters are not system sellers, no matter how much old stuff they put in. This is 2014, people want to play NEW games, or at least games new to them. TLOU probably sold 90% of its copies to people who didn't own a PS3 last gen. But who is excited about MCC that hasn't already played Halo games? I'm fairly sure that not many fall into that category. Best it can do is convince some die-hard Xbox/Halo fans to jump that haven't already. But as far as I can tell, most of the diehards have already moved.

(8)- 'X1 will get a huge boost from COD! PS4 has no chance against that!'.

/nope, the PS4 version will almost certainly be superior, and people know that by now, even many of the casuals. And the bundle? $499? Seriously? That's not going to fly in the time of $399 and less deals, 1TB drive or not. I do think COD will sell strongly to the XB1 owners, and have a higher attach rate, but the install base gap by COD release is likely to be over 1M+, so more copies of AW will easily be sold on PS4 overall in the US, and globally the gap will be ludicrous.

Blood_Tears said:
wary-wallaroo said:

This 100%

X360 fans aren't waiting around for 3 games. They're picking PS4 every month over Xbox One.

Yup, which I find pretty weird. People easily accept that the Wii U isn't doing great because, well Nintendo seriously messed up with it. It's a great console, yes, and I love it but it doens't have mass appeal. Yet at the same time many of these same people (even after seeing the Wii U constantly outsell the X1), can't seem to accept the same thing for the X1. MS messed up, people don't want it. Throwing more Halo and Gears and Forza at the problem won't fix things because the people who would buy an X1 for those franchises either already have or were going to do so anyways. 

Like people saying Destiny will provide the X1 a boost. Yea, sure, it will but it won't be some massive push. There's no reason to get an X1 for Destiny unless you were planning on picking one up for Halo. My guess is, after the MCC comes out and the PS4 still blows the X1 out of the water, people will just regroup and start waiting for a price cut or for Halo 5, and when those fail they'll wait for Gears and so on so forth. 

Arkaign said:
Rather than type all this out again, I'm going to repost it here from my other thread since it's exactly relevant to this topic. COD is not going to save the X1. For one thing, many COD players are borderline casuals who don't care, and will keep playing on their 360 or PS3 without a worry. For another, people already know it will play as well or likely superior on PS4. And lastly, the bundle is $499 freaking dollars, which is a suicide note in 2014. Anyway, this is another in long line of checkboxes which didn't pan out for people predicting X1 suddenly to become a runaway success and beat the PS4. It just won't happen. The best they can hope is to lose LESS badly.

I don't think anyone is prepared for how September will go. Every time people say 'wait for this' in regards to the X1, it doesn't happen the way they think. I've called it every step of the way.

(8)- 'X1 will get a huge boost from COD! PS4 has no chance against that!'.

/nope, the PS4 version will almost certainly be superior, and people know that by now, even many of the casuals. And the bundle? $499? Seriously? That's not going to fly in the time of $399 and less deals, 1TB drive or not. I do think COD will sell strongly to the XB1 owners, and have a higher attach rate, but the install base gap by COD release is likely to be over 1M+, so more copies of AW will easily be sold on PS4 overall in the US, and globally the gap will be ludicrous.

Agreed on all points. The CoD bundle could have helped if it was $399, but at $499 it won't do much. The series is too huge and MS can't make it seem like an exclusive, especially considering Ghosts sold more on PS4. Compare that to something like Destiny, which is a brand new IP. THe whole excluisve marketing will work much, much better. With CoD, MS may fool a few people, but everyone knows CoD comes to all consoles. 

I'll be completely blunt, I don't think there's anything that can "save" the X1. Even if MS gave out another $100 price cut, they'd just risk Sony responding, and the last thing they need is a $299 PS4, that'd just be monstrous. 

I don't wanna this to be seen as an attempt at back seat moderating but Jega has made a habit out of making barely founded and highly provocative threads, he constrantly gets called out with legit responses and he never really aknowledges or answers anything. Except for the classic "it's my opinion" response. Why keep this thread up at all if it's not productive ?